My YMRV Mk1 Hack, TPO 'r' us

Hi Sean,

I have only really took the YMRV ones to bits and carved some detail off!

The TPO's were started many moons ago, and left until I was happy I had a plan to robustly construct them all to the same specification.

Other than the cheapo coaches there has been no further spend, most thingsare held in stock for too long! Its nice when some big things fly!

The BPOT was my test build and I had used two spacers to keep the body from bowing. There was the issue of it being a bit wobbly.

I have just added the L bracing along the bottom edge and I think it really improves the situation.

post-7587-0-32329000-1378246397_thumb.jpg

Should make for a more robust coach.

Just one more coach to reinforce, simple job and it is really suprising how a 1mmx 2.5mm bit of strip seems to straighten what can be rather wobbly vehicles, soon be time to bond the rooves to the body.

I intend to carve the roof overhang flush, then look to reinstate a more fine lip overhang from fine strip, the real things are rather subtle and something I have considered and trialed various ideas over the years. Heres hoping it works out!

Having a little trial with some Kadee's, working out what needs to be cut out the moulded bufferbeam.

It has been my intention to have Kadee's as part of rakes of stock, its just a matter of comparing these with other stock, which hopefully will be similar!

post-7587-0-06849500-1378397605.jpg

Another little trail this time end of rooves.

post-7587-0-09291000-1378398933.jpg

The obvious gap, isnt there when a little pressure is applied, a few quick passes with my fine needle file has given a flush end, which if all goes to plan will be replaced with a finer more scale lip. Probably some .25 x .5mm strip.

The gutter strip I think is also up for the chop. Again to replaced with a finer strip

barring weathering and painting interior roof darker grey   what else can be done to these coaches to bring them up to a better standard please like the conversion pics . ive never done anything like that barring a bodged glv (gatwick express ex mlv as a teenager in the 80s)

Hi Gary,

Have a read from the start of the thread. This job focuses around extensive reuse of the chassis with some improvement made and further detail to be added.

The other part is the roof. These are being tweaked. These are being looked at and into at the minute.

Take ten minutes or so and see what you make of how I have begun to tackle the alterations and reuse.

barring weathering and painting interior roof darker grey what else can be done to these coaches to bring them up to a better standard please like the conversion pics . ive never done anything like that barring a bodged glv (gatwick express ex mlv as a teenager in the 80s)

The first roof has been glued to the bodyside and the gaping hole isnt as bad!

post-7587-0-85159900-1378422428_thumb.jpg

All the others are ready to be attached, it takes a few minutes each body, the temptation is to flood the joint and let capillary action do the rest. I am taking a more cautious approach and doing each section so in this instance I have worked up and down the sides, either side omitting a panel, building the joints. Basically not to flood the whole job. It seems to be working!

Well its had over night to cure and I have one firm solid body and roof!

post-7587-0-68880200-1378460813.jpg

One down six to go, I fancy another one as I couldnt count when buying the £3.99 jobs in, so a large door sorting van could join these as all mine to date are short doors.

Today will see the roof and its vents attended too, these are scalloped dome (MJT 2943), I like the plastic the £3.99 coaches are made from the roof and chassis remind me of an aircraft kit, it cuts well isnt too waxy. It glues, what more could you ask for?

post-7587-0-33630900-1378469212_thumb.jpg

I have marked up the roof using the moulded vents, then using the ribs and photographs of the prototype oh and DC kits instructions as a guide.

Mark up the new six vents. Then drill a pilot hole, I used a .8mm drill.

Next up I measured the shank of the casting at 1.6mm, so out with a 1.6mm bit and I did it between my fingers to elongate the hole ever so slightly, I guess a sliglty bigger bit would have the same effect, then carefully I used a 2.5mm drill bit to provide a countersunk rebate on both sides of the roof.

Next will be to fit the whitemetal castings.

This evening has seen the roof fitting progress, with only one left to be glued up. These have still got their moulded vents, which until I get clear evidence of new vents as in the ones on POS's and POT's actually go!

The roof moulding just has to have some of the clips trimmed back, this took a few minutes more until I worked out it looks like they have been made in pairs. There is a left hand and right hand roof, on the inside there are mould release pips but are handed!

Ok this isnt part of the build but they must have a load of rooves!

Lets see if the final roof can get glued up this side of midnight.

A late post!

post-7587-0-00846800-1378514192.jpg

post-7587-0-93854100-1378514210.jpg

post-7587-0-23171700-1378514229.jpg

That is the fleet all with rooves, a happy few days of progress. Some bond better than others basically with the sides coming in so many parts, its a continual check as you glue to make sure they stay were they should be.

Hi Ian,

It's going to be an impressive train! The fine-lipped edge on the ends of the roofs will be a delicate job.

I did this kind of thing when extending Bachmann roofs to go on my 4 CIG. I used 20 thou. plastic held with solvent, but reinforced with a fillet of superglue underneath. The superglue also served to fill any small gaps on the top of the joints too, with a very careful application where needed. The edge of the added strip can be 'feathered' with a sharp knife to get an extra-fine edge when the joint has hardened.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin, I will give that a try. Having an over thick edge on most mark one's to me is a weak point of a build.

I too like using combinations of glue, it definitely has it uses in situations like this.

Thanks for looking in

Ian

Hi Ian,It's going to be an impressive train! The fine-lipped edge on the ends of the roofs will be a delicate job.I did this kind of thing when extending Bachmann roofs to go on my 4 CIG. I used 20 thou. plastic held with solvent, but reinforced with a fillet of superglue underneath. The superglue also served to fill any small gaps on the top of the joints too, with a very careful application where needed. The edge of the added strip can be 'feathered' with a sharp knife to get an extra-fine edge when the joint has hardened.All the best,Colin

Hi Ian,

Here is a photo showing the method applied to a Bachmann roof:

post-8139-0-53501300-1378595627_thumb.jpg

It is a rather unflattering shot of a trailer coach, but the over hang is clear to see. On reflection, the edge of the added strip could have been thinned even more.

All the best,

Colin

If I can get mine half as good as yours I will be happy

Hi Ian,Here is a photo showing the method applied to a Bachmann roof:attachicon.gifIMG_4950 (1280x960).jpgIt is a rather unflattering shot of a trailer coach, but the over hang is clear to see. On reflection, the edge of the added strip could have been thinned even more.All the best,Colin

This is going to be the end vehicle in the rake and as such has been fitted with an ABS gangway f.115 and the same manufacturer's extended buffers b1/05

The other end will have retracted buffers and a buckeye. This end will have a Smiths coupling hook for functionality over apperance.

post-7587-0-10405000-1378603070.jpg

The end has also been filled, some dont seem to need filling while some do?!

post-7587-0-72801000-1378603886.jpg

The inner ends will be fitted with Keen sytems floating gangways, bought with the DC kits many years ago.

Hi Ian,

The production line seems to be in full swing!  Just one note re. the edges of the roofs: the overhang might be less on the prototypes you are modelling than that seen in the photo I posted.  Your models have  three-faceted ends from what I can tell, whereas the 4 CIG's ends are an even curve (or bow-ended might be a better description).

All the best,

Colin

Hi Ian,

Ask promised I have now uploaded the rest of my MK1 TPO photos, the new ones are better as they are taken when the rake was stationary in Quorn yard, they may help when it gets to the livery stage.

Sorry about the delay but Flickr doesn't seem to like me at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/sets/72157635330819767/

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi Wild Boar Fell,

I thought you had forgotten! Thank you for taking the time, which once things arent as quick as they should really takes that extra why am I bothering!

So thank you for bothering and up loading them, I remember taking some of the rake at Quorn, but which disc, drive or pen thry might be on?!

Mine are going to go into versions of Royal Mail colours, basically there latter years.

Hi Ian,

Ask promised I have now uploaded the rest of my MK1 TPO photos, the new ones are better as they are taken when the rake was stationary in Quorn yard, they may help when it gets to the livery stage.

Sorry about the delay but Flickr doesn't seem to like me at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/sets/72157635330819767/

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

To compliment Wild Boars images I came across this useful site last night

http://www.uklocos.com/login.asp?stat=1&attemptedPage=http://www.uklocos.com/preservedrailwaystocklist/final-results.asp?action=display&Id=19032&Location=Kirklees-Light-Railway

Some very useful images, think I had seen mention of the site, but never taken the time to look over it, shame on me!

Just been for a walk to the village post office to buy a few stamps to order an ABS catalogue, there are a few fine castings which they have done in the past I wish to see would be suitable in this project a lighting kit being one of the main sets im after.

Over to Royal Mail and ABS now.

Archived