1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

Sill playing catch up, will reply to your posts.

First, though, is the update, of the replacement scissors crossing, and associated point work.

If you remember, the first weekend of last month,this was taking place.

post-13585-0-86528000-1446417722.jpg

post-13585-0-66729200-1446417726.jpg

A few days after, I got to go up to DP.

am disappointed, it is not the way I had laid my ballast on the model,

the week before,

surely,

they must have seen how I did it,

am not re doing mine, they will have to re do theirs.

post-13585-0-19496500-1446416995.jpg

post-13585-0-39470200-1446416997.jpg

post-13585-0-51293500-1446416999.jpg

post-13585-0-78988400-1446417001.jpg

post-13585-0-15878500-1446417004.jpg

post-13585-0-33951400-1446417006.jpg

post-13585-0-28464700-1446417008.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 7

They are probably waiting for the glue to dry   ................    before running a vacuum along to suck up the loose stuff.   .....    :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Sill playing catch up, will reply to your posts.

First, though, is the update, of the replacement scissors crossing, and associated point work.

If you remember, the first weekend of last month,this was taking place.

attachicon.gifP1220962(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1220963(1).JPG

A few days after, I got to go up to DP.

am disappointed, it is not the way I had laid my ballast on the model,

the week before,

surely,

they must have seen how I did it,

am not re doing mine, they will have to re do theirs.

attachicon.gifP1230135(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230136(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230137(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230139(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230145(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230185(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1230186(1).JPG

Edited by jcredfer

• RMweb Premium

Those Shinohara scissor crossing aren't cheap, you'ld think the figures in the day glow outfits would have made a tidier job of the ballast and cleared away all the over scale biscuit wrappers DT?

Regards Shaun. No excuses for all the craftsmanships and likes.  

Great photos of the scissor replacement David. As for the ballast on top of the sleepers that always seems to be a big bug bare with some modellers as if it's a big no no. In actual fact it's surprising how often there is ballast on top of the sleepers. I was at Landor Street Junction waiting to relieve a train on Monday and there was ballast everywhere and it's not been relaid in the last 12 months so it's been there a while. Should have taken a picture really.

The layouts looking superb as usual and I hope your Grandaughter enjoyed operating the Class 20's. She's obviously got taste.

I'm off playing with the big ones later. Out on "ballast on sleeper" patrol. Haha.

All the best

Marcus

Are you going to put blue fishplates on as well never seen them before and also a yellow clamp on the run off section?

There are Insulated Fish Plates, just with a blue polymer coating rather than the normal white, I'm not sure why they are blue, but it'll weather down a nice dirty brown colour! There are rail clamps on the stock rails which will only be there temporarily, but if you're talking about the 'clamps' in the four foot by the toe of the point, these will be back drives, seen as the points are driven by HW machines

Great photos of the scissor replacement David. As for the ballast on top of the sleepers that always seems to be a big bug bare with some modellers as if it's a big no no. In actual fact it's surprising how often there is ballast on top of the sleepers. I was at Landor Street Junction waiting to relieve a train on Monday and there was ballast everywhere and it's not been relaid in the last 12 months so it's been there a while. Should have taken a picture really.

The layouts looking superb as usual and I hope your Grandaughter enjoyed operating the Class 20's. She's obviously got taste.

I'm off playing with the big ones later. Out on "ballast on sleeper" patrol. Haha.

All the best

Marcus

Ballast on top of the sleepers is a no no on the real railway, there shouldn't be any ballast on the sleeper tops, if there, it points towards poor ballast regulation, but obviously sometimes this gets overlooked due to other reasons!

Regards,

Simon

There are Insulated Fish Plates, just with a blue polymer coating rather than the normal white, I'm not sure why they are blue, but it'll weather down a nice dirty brown colour! There are rail clamps on the stock rails which will only be there temporarily, but if you're talking about the 'clamps' in the four foot by the toe of the point, these will be back drives, seen as the points are driven by HW machines

Ballast on top of the sleepers is a no no on the real railway, there shouldn't be any ballast on the sleeper tops, if there, it points towards poor ballast regulation, but obviously sometimes this gets overlooked due to other reasons!

Regards,

Simon[/ quote]

To give the Network Rail guys, credit, a fairly tight access for a replacement scissors crossing and time was tight.

There is a temporary speed limit,of 20.mph.

So further work,maybe in place,as crossing,beds its self in.

dt

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 1

Regards,

Simon

Although Daves pictures at Dover are obviously excessive and it is most likely waiting to be tamped hence the excessive ballast.

I was more referring to instances like this which is seen as a no no when modelling.

post-18515-0-36422700-1446735692_thumb.jpg

I see plenty of instances like this when I'm driving the round the network.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Thanks for yor postings', I hope to reply tomorrow,

If you remember last week, I posted a very short video, of a working on RTTh.

Here are some still photos, of the 2 x 73s, that were in the video,

The, now, lead 73's livery, is hard to make out, but it is named,  

22393909009_dbf2c5c19c_z.jpg

by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

21959672343_fb0ede56f2_z.jpg

22592114091_ab3558fdfa_z.jpg

73, now at the rear.

22592301041_dbde81e7f3_z.jpg

it's Really noisy, grandad, not like yours'

22555082506_5a53191a13_z.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Dave

As far as I know it's still in its EW&S livery. It was bought back out of preservation for use with GBRf. I'm not sure wether we own this one or it is just a hire in.

I'll see what I can find out for you. Funnily enough I don't get on 73's with GB but I have driven this one in preservation when it was based at the Chasewater railway.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

If you had your bonfire night last night, hope it went well,and you avoided the rain.

Do you know, which Uk town/city, does not celebrate the 5th of November ? And why.

A month ago,St.Simon was at our Folkestone Club exhibition.

I give him measurement s of the platform shelter,on platforms 2/3 at Dover Priory.

Asked him for computer imagery first, so I could get the models measurements.

This was duly done.

If you click the link below, you will see the product image.

I will order,the short version later today,(it has one panel,less than the long version).

Shapeways, are offering a FREE postal delivery service,this week,

I think it ends midnight, this coming Sunday.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BKK5HRLU9/c-03s-dover-priory-shelter-short-version?li=shop-results&optionId=58262544

Hi Dave

Didn't have my own bonfire last night but enjoyed watching everybody else's whilst driving between Hams Hall and Peterborough.  :biggrin_mini2:

That platform shelter is certainly a piece of art. That's going to look the Bees Knees once its painted and glazed. Lovely video of the RHTT train taken from some great vantage points especially the one above the station.

Cheers

Marcus

Are you going to put blue fishplates on as well never seen them before and also a yellow clamp on the run off section?

​Good question lms,     but I doubt it

Very useful track work pictures there David!! :senile: :locomotive:

Thanks for post Neil

Those Shinohara scissor crossing aren't cheap, you'ld think the figures in the day glow outfits would have made a tidier job of the ballast and cleared away all the over scale biscuit wrappers DT?

Regards Shaun. No excuses for all the craftsmanships and likes.  

His Irish cousin, Shaun O' Hara, scissors crossing's are getting scarce and expensive too.

All the best

Marcus

Thanks for your post Marcus, always nice to hear from someone,who works the railways', with information.

Regards,

Simon

Thanks for posting Simon, I shall be leaving some ballast on my sleepers.

Although Daves pictures at Dover are obviously excessive and it is most likely waiting to be tamped hence the excessive ballast.

I was more referring to instances like this which is seen as a no no when modelling.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I see plenty of instances like this when I'm driving the round the network.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Dave

As far as I know it's still in its EW&S livery. It was bought back out of preservation for use with GBRf. I'm not sure wether we own this one or it is just a hire in.

I'll see what I can find out for you. Funnily enough I don't get on 73's with GB but I have driven this one in preservation when it was based at the Chasewater railway.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers

Marcus

Actually I've just studied the picture a bit more and it looks as if it's two tone something or other. Also it has small numerals on the cab side. I'll see if I can find out for definite.

Marcus

Here we go

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47745602@N06/16070464924

Two tone grey it is then

And as it was......

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Great info, you have provided Marcus, thank you, for your time.

Impressed by the 3D print con you must have pulled on St Simon at the Folkestone exhibition - and also by the actual 3D model (wife's iPad doesn't seem to do Joker symbol inserts)

dh

ah, "The Maltese Falcon", has been in contact, you must have a good signal from high in that clock tower, to be writing on here.

how you getting on with, Harry Lime, the 3rd man these days' ?

Con, Con ?  wash your mouth out man!,   Strikes off Shristmas card list.

Hi Dave

Didn't have my own bonfire last night but enjoyed watching everybody else's whilst driving between Hams Hall and Peterborough.  :biggrin_mini2:

That platform shelter is certainly a piece of art. That's going to look the Bees Knees once its painted and glazed. Lovely video of the RHTT train taken from some great vantage points especially the one above the station.

Cheers

Marcus

Yes AndyH, does provide me with good videos and photos, when he gets out and about. We do have some very good vantage points around here.

• Like 2

Hope you have,  enjoyed, your weekend, 

Last week, half term, out with the grandson, for a day,

He suddenly announced, "Grandad, it's nearly Christmas !", leaving a few second's,before replying, I said,

"No,No, that was last year,Fin".

The look of disbelief, was a picture, wish I had taken one.

Sorry, I started this at 0800.hours.today, its been a long busy day.

Right,  My  subtitle  "Service Departments",  is directed at Bachmann & Hornby.

Just for some of the excellent people, who work there.....in those depts'.

Over the last week or so (ish). I have reprogramming decoders for all my stock, via ECoS.

A few locos needed repairs, Bachmann were excelent, after speaking to two guys, I had the spare parts, within 24 hours.

For a J72, a new main pinion drive, to replace the split one.

An "idler arm" for main gear, in a 2-Epb, this had been missing since new, I bought used and very cheap.and found the problem.

A new motor, for a 4-cep, an intermittent open circuit, the problem, I had run this for days and days, when track testing.

I had already, fitted the little pin (idler arm).

post-13585-0-24134200-1447015943.jpg

J 72.

post-13585-0-29133900-1447016050.jpg

a split center pinon, to be replaced.

post-13585-0-01232600-1447016233.jpg

2- Epb, now running well

post-13585-0-19033100-1447016172.jpg

post-13585-0-80572000-1447016158.jpg

4-Cep

post-13585-0-53285800-1447016231.jpg

Hornby has a new system, well it is  to me,   you phone Customer Care, spoke to a nice young lady, she explained,    

To put me on the system, i needed a Reference number, from herself, duly given, details of item, possible fault, please.

all entered.

This was all then sent to the service center, I was then advised to package the item, with said details and Ref. and post to their Service Center outside,

Canterbury.

All done,                  10. days  later, a call from Costumer Care, your 4- Vep is repaired and due for payment and dispatch.

This Vep had given me greif, for months, trying to address it, I then, dismantled it and found (see photo).

4 wires, had not been soldered, to the underneath of the socket that the umbilical cable inserts into. My soldering, is not that good to have attempted it.

4-Vep, looks like a new chassis,was provided.

post-13585-0-57110600-1447017296.jpg

All I can say is Thank you service centers.

I have started listing my locos, on the Sprog vll.       1 done so far.

I manage to get hold of one of these, now all I need, is the Esu interface, from Richard at Warley.

Cobalt Alpha.

post-13585-0-93019100-1447017612.jpg

Bye the bye,      in 48 hour's,      A self generating reply, will/may appear on this thread, saying,

" auto-response, please do not reply to this thread, I am out of the office."

Don't worry, it's just in case I don't get out of the hospital theater,tomorrow,          heard it's a sell out, no tickets left. 

• Like 2

Best of luck for tomorrow David! 

nice update to, glad the rolling stock/loco's is getting sorted out.

cheers

Graham.

Thank G.

Hopefully, a surgeon turns up,       not a youf, with an ipad, watching       "How to......"  videos, on You Tube !    :O  :no: