Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

I've just caught up with this thread, and I have to say Lee, there is some superb modelling on display here. The view through the window from the outside is very Hopperesque...I love it. After I graduated I spent two years or so driving trucks in the North West, before getting a job as a modelmaker...we visited lots of goods depots with their offices and the like, and the one common denominator was a kettle and tea making facilities, plus the usual non-PC pictures on the walls... Usually the yardmaster was an unhelpful character whose favourite phrase was "more than my job's worth" or another notable one who travelled everywhere on a fork lift truck, as one of my colleagues used to say, "even unto the toilet" :-)

Anyway, great modelling and can't wait to see more!

cheers,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

That's really great modelling mate! For some reason I had this vision of the animated Paddington Bear coming through the door...

I can't wait to see your trusses lifted up high.

• RMweb Gold

Well, you just knew I wouldn't leave this unchallenged... :)

With apologies to Leslie Charteris: 'Aspidistra, little herb, Do you think it silly, when the botanizer's blurb links you with the lily?'

:D

Here's my little offering:

post-17302-0-01196500-1386366084_thumb.jpg

It's been fun, and I didn't expect you to come up with the plant. Brilliant modelling, mate, can I go back to my roof now, and let you get on with yours?

:D

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

Oh my word, Al, you've really raised the bar there - Mugs and Sugar?!!

I think your filing cabinet is better - the paint job on mine is too messy-  I overdid the "weathering" It was supposed to look old and battered.

On the subject of roofs though, I was going to make 6 sets of trusses, but having test fitted them on the shed, I reckon 4 looks about right...

post-15693-0-52000700-1386373962.jpg

post-15693-0-59755700-1386373960.jpg

post-15693-0-41746900-1386373958.jpg

construction process same as mentioned earlier, painstakingly trimming coffee stirrers...

I'll let them set hard overnight, then sand down a little and paint.

I think I'll have to fit a stretcher joist too...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, I agree, I think six would look to many.

Your trusses are a work of art in themselves, I'm afraid I've just stuck with triangular lumps of plasticard.

Re the filing cabinet, I've only ever seen them in institutional grey, green or dark brown, in my years in various civil service and NHS offices, and I would hazard a guess that the same would be true of BR.

Having said which, I think yours is better built though, mine's a bit ragged round the edges.

Great work Lee, loving it!

Al.

• Like 1

Ow My My !!! This is really looking better and better... Love the way you've done your roof beam structure with those wooden coffee stirrers ! I myself love to use big BBQ matches (they are about 5 inches long, and about 2 mm of square section...) I select the straightest ones of them, then remove the match part. They have a more realistic wooden structure than sanded & manufactured wooden object such as the coffee stirrers that looks more like the part when I make old oak beams for buildings I construct for my club's HO layout.

Also, had not time to work a lot on "Leddysh Gate" till now, as I finished a building yesterday night at the club :senile: , then had classical home chores to take care of today :offtopic: .I'm posting pictures of the building on my topic here (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78792-rickys-leddysh-gate-workbench/?p=1254504)

Eric.

Really, really, really super work, Lee. Those Costa's roof beams are the biz. They are a lot of work, but it has all been worth it. I do have a slight suggestion....there should be a crane in the building somewhere...just sayin'.....  but the model is coming along brilliantly. Top work!

cheers,

Iain

Iain, thank you, and you also Eric. I'm filled smiles following such comments from two master modellers.

I had considered a crane, and it was next in the agenda after the roof (it's going to be removable, joists and all, so I can continue detailing the interior. If you've any pointers on how to build such a thing, I'd love to hear it..*hint*

Hmmmm... I'm one to love scratch-building, but even then I can easily say it's easier to work from an existing kit when you find one.

There is this goods platform crane made by Wills... I used it for a project on my club's layout (a goods platform for a narrow gauge railway station of the Belgian Vicinal Railways) and simply added the wire (with some fine cotton sewing thread) and chains (made with two pieces of monofilament copper wire stranded to represent chain link, or you can also buy chains from small producers in the US via Walthers like i did). I know the base is quite big and unrealistic, but it can easily be either detailed, or you can create a whole new one and then add it to the kit.

Here's a picture of the crane on the ALAF's layout :

post-18935-0-59810600-1386429610_thumb.jpg

Photo © Patrick Ponsin, ALAF Asbl.

Hope this'll help you.

Eric.

post-18033-0-49061100-1386430352.jpg

I made mine from wood, fixed to the beams above and pivoting on a base from a Mike's Models GWR goods yard crane. Here's a real one at Gilfach Ddu...I have many photos of this if you need details.

cheers,

Iain

Edited by Iain C Robinson

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee, this is just amazing, and I don't bandy that word around very much, and Al, your teapot is great. :) I'm definitely going to have to revisit my goods shed, but only after I've had my eye test!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee, what type of crane were you thinking of?

One type I've not seen modelled often is an interior version of the lovely wooden one Iain has pictured above. The ones in the Newbury goods shed on the GWR were integrated with the structure of the goods depot. There are some good photos of that in a book I have, but here is a not so good shot on the web just to illustrate the type: http://www.flickr.com/photos/longsheds/8618087351/

And here is a very nice one lon RMweb modelled by Ian S. : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65499-whats-on-your-2mm-work-bench/?p=1102447

But I don't know whether it would fit your setting of course.

Cheers Mikkel - I'm fairly open as my railway is entirely fictional, but saying that - it has a West Riding feel, loosely based on on old LMS, having not been brought into the BR livery (kind of like Hebden Bridge)

I think I'll be looking at a wooden beam crane (I've got hundreds odf wooden coffee stirrers :) )

Further truss work continued last night and this morning, and I think I've now done enough to it

post-15693-0-18328300-1386527269.jpg

it's a bit wonky in places, but you're never going to really notice that with the roof on

A view from the wagon entrance

post-15693-0-39298900-1386527272.jpg

and from the opposite side

post-15693-0-81468900-1386527270.jpg

oh, and I also finallu finished the front of the station building (well, nearly,...)

post-15693-0-40489400-1386527267.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice one lee, that station building looks really imposing, and the goods shed is just a work of art.

Great interior photo Al, I wish I had a few photos like that of the Wainfleet goods shed - well anything more than one end and the featureless wall!