Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

Anyone fed up of roof trusses?

I've added a couple of suuporting columns at either end, and I gave the beams an initial paint job last night. I've also started work on a crane, with many thanks to those people who have sent me source material :)

Apologies for the harsh camera phone pics. I left the DSLR switched on and exhausted the battery :(

post-15693-0-67389600-1386684465.jpg

post-15693-0-08190200-1386684466.jpg

• Like 4

Another vote of congratulations for the roof trusses.  I had liked my Scalescenes ones a lot, but there is certainly inspiration there for me, especially as I had "liberated" a shed load of coffee stirrers from Rugby.  When they charge £4.20 for a Guinness I think that's fair ;)

I was also planning to use the Wills yard crane inside, but am now thinking again.  Either styrene or some stirrers will come into play, depending on whether I can find a little wheel or two.  Looks as if the crane is fixed to a truss at the top?

I'm at home at the weekend, might need to borrow the copy of Vaughn...

• Like 1

Marvellous work, Lee! As Al says, very atmospheric interior shot.

Um...did you stain those beams with Colron :mosking: ? Someone will have something to say about that...

seriously though, it's looking fab.

cheers,

Iain

Iain - if I'd had some Colron, I would have, but no, it's a wash of burnt umber, followed by a wash of black. I'll dry brush a bit of lighter brown/ cream on next...

• Like 1

I have hit somewhat of a wall with my crane.

Without some fiddly little wheels and cogs, it's just a couple of lumps of wood stuck together. I tried dismantling an old clock, but the cogs were too big. What I need is an old watch, and what I don't have is an old watch :(

Anyway, here it is balanced in situ in the obligatory "through the door" shot.

post-15693-0-44914500-1386796918.jpg

I have actually dry brushed a bit of highlight onto the beams since the last update, but it doesn't show in this light. I've got the day of tomorrow, so I'll try and get a daylight shot.

What I have managed to achieve is a fireplace, communication door, painting and noticebaord in the office.

post-15693-0-99391400-1386796931.jpg

Also, I've started weathering the outside of the building. The office was the first to get the treatment:

post-15693-0-31664700-1386796924.jpg

Then came the main building:

post-15693-0-83110800-1386796937.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it's looking. It's nowhere near as dark as the last buildings and they don't match in colour, but this is more the colouring I was initially after. Although I like the station, I'm veering towards a repaint to take it more like the colour of this one...

Edited by freebs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can get these on ebay, if you want. Missy gave me the tip and I used some of them for my cranes:

P2016576.jpg

As far as I remember I bought mine from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-PACK-100g-50g-Watch-parts-STEAMPUNK-ALTERED-ART-CRAFTS-CYBERPUNK-cogs-gears-/190847932569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c6f6c5899

The contents vary, so there's no 100% guaranteee of what you get exactly. Most of the smaller gears in my package have cogs/teeth that you have to deal with, but some of the larger ones do not and could possibly be used.

Edited for bizarre mis-spellings, must have been sleepy :-)

Edited by Mikkel

Evening All

I've been roofing tonight.

post-15693-0-70929000-1386974038.jpg

Only got as far as the base layer, but after reading Allan Downes' explanation of how to tile a roof, I've got hundreds of little roof tiles ready to glue on.

I've added a strip of bargeboard to either gable, but at this point am undecided whether to add a board under the eaves or not...

post-15693-0-29877600-1386974041.jpg

Excuse the photos - The house is too much of a tip to find anywhere decent to set up a shot - I had to settle on the hall carpet :)  (I've been tto busy modelling to tidy ;) )

Anyway, thought I'd have a bit of a play with a roof on shot using an LED torch to provide "moonlight"

post-15693-0-57958800-1386974042.jpg

and a shot at night, with the moonlight streaming in through the open door and windows.

post-15693-0-99147100-1386974045.jpg

Crane has been removed again, waiting for some cogs to carry on.

I'm also going to make some packing crates.

*edit* And just a little photoshop with a conversion to Greyscale and a bit of Film Grain added...

post-15693-0-19836400-1386974441.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 7

Wow... The last picture in B&W is Brilliant ! You'd guess it's a picture just taken out of the GWR Historical Society archives !!!!!

Can't wait to see the thing finished with flat wagons, figures and stuff inside the goods shed ! I can guess that's going to be one of the best modelling pictures I'll have ever seen then !

Eric.

Back to the Crane for a moment

Whilst doing a spot of tidying up last night, I found a lego steering wheel in one of my modelling pots (I keep bits of current projects in old takeaway tubs) whilst looking for something else. I had a bit of a brainwave - it looked just right (if a tad over scale) for the winding mechanism for the crane....

post-15693-0-74202000-1387285726.jpg

It's only rough at the moment, but the wheel is the steering wheel cut off the full piece, the winding roll is a section of biro tubing, which interestingly fits perfectly. I drilled a 3mm hole in two bits of 20thou and fashioned the brackets from this :)

I'll wait for it to dry a bit more and then try to sand the edges a bit more smooth. 

I think I'm being a bit too worried about achieving  finescale here as you'll never really see the detail of the crane, but it's fun!

In other news, I'm making some packing crates...

stay tuned...

• Like 3

it's a bit rough at the moment, but should look ok from a regular viewing distance. 

All hand cut, including the bars - I really need some more microstrip :)

what do you think?

1 packing crate= 45 minutes

I need at least a dozen...

post-15693-0-80299400-1387288251.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Iain

With hand cutting the banding, it's left a raised edge. I reckon a much neater job could be made of it with microstrip, but then, I'm going to need an awful lot of it to make even just one crate

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant!

Wot 'e said!

;)

Funnily enough, I was standing outside the office the other morning looking at a pile of pallets, and working out how to model them in 4mm :)

I think I need to step away from the MEK-PAK for a bit, it's becoming an obsession...