DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

With his experience at Dapol, I am sure that Dave knows the UK model railway market as well as anyone, so I am curious to learn why only locomotives were chosen to launch DJModels? From what I read on RMWeb there is certainly a desire for high quality bog-standard freight wagons with accurate chassis and for suburban and other widely used coaching stock - two areas that the "usual suspects" have yet to fully address.

I think there's always a simple answer to this one iD whatever percentage gross profit level you assume, and if you take it as constant on all items, then the cash return on investment for something which sells at c.£90 is going to be greater than that on something which sells at C.£10 or c.£30.  Thus - especially in a 'young' business' where early cash return on investment could be critical - it makes sense to look for the best return and customer price resistance is likely to be lower than it is when what might be perceived as 'high' prices are asked for rolling stock 'with something extra'  

I suspect too that it is easier to sell locos into this sort of market than , say, a range of coaches where buyers will want a variety of vehicles, which equals more research & more tooling costs, and getting the balance right to secure the optimum return.  Mind you I'm sure, from what their website says, that DJ Models would be happy to accept commissions for coaches - with teh commissioner supplying all the information and bearing the costs ;)

And Ixion (already mentioned) plus of course Kernow and presumably - although a larger concern in many respects - Hattons (who have sponsored a number of models) while Rails of Sheffield have presumably done so to some extent albeit (in what would seem to be a joint venture with Bachmann?).  As far as I'm aware in these cases the model railway retailers have paid for the development of models and own the tooling although exact commercial arrangements are of course not in the public domain.

I don't think anyone has mentioned 'Flangeway', the rtr arm of an independent model railway retailer. They were arguably the first to produce self funded ready to run injection moulded 'oo' gauge models with the delightful BR standard snow plough, followed by the equally delightful BR Mermaid side tipping engineers ballast wagon. Interestingly, the tooling and production was carried out by Dapol - Did Dave have a hand in those models?. I always wondered if those commissions and the Kernow and Model Rail Beattie/Sentinel commissions persuaded Dapol to put their toes back in the 'oo' gauge water. I believe the snow plough achieved a readers 1st place in a Model Rail annual award.

The experience with Flangeway production may mirror the route DJModels intends to go, as each model had to sell to a certain level to fund the next project, the gap between the two models so far produced was a couple of years. They announced a third project a couple of years ago, which was to be an LMS Inspection Coach, however Bachmann have now overtaken them with that model. This shows the danger of having to achieve profits to invest in new products and announcing what the plans are ahead of funding being available. Now Flangeway is not announcing its third project until work is more advanced.  

Interestingly in the latest Model Rail is an item on work being carried out to produce ready to run London Underground stock in 'oo', by a small new business, that proposes to use 3D printing technology and apparently has completed the work on the bodies for some 4 different types of stock. Photos with the article showed lines of apparently produced and painted bodies . Presumably 3D printing technology will produce most components via this method, in the UK

I'm only interested in 'oo' gauge and will be interested in the Austerity tank. Again it will be a 'full circle' experience as my first rtr Austerity was the release by Dapol in about 1985/86 and I marvelled at the detail incorporated in that model. If I'm right it was the first rtr 'oo' model with sprung buffers and had a fully enclosed motor.

Again good luck to Dave and his proposed business and customer models are a breath of fresh air

... Mind you I'm sure, from what their website says, that DJ Models would be happy to accept commissions for coaches - with teh commissioner supplying all the information and bearing the costs ;)

Something else to add to the list of "what I'll do with the BIG lottery win" (something that is statistically possible, but is - realistically - statistically improbable!).

However, I do see an "out" to the conumdrum you pose, Mike. Just consult the records for - say - the most built vehicle (e.g. LMS Period III 60ft Stanier Corridor Compo [Diags.1925/1969] of which almost 400 examples were built or a GWR Iron Mink of which 5000 examples were built) and start with one or two of those. Once the basic tooling is created then I would think minor variations (such as type and placement of roof vents) would be easily accomodated. And with a prototype that was built in the thousands (such as many 4, 6 and 8 plank wagons), livery variations would be multiple (and thus boost return on investment).

I would be very happy to buy a dozen or more RTR GWR Iron Minks that are assembled and painted but which have separate transfers for vehicle numbers for self application (and thus say goodbye to long rakes of vehicles each numbered <123456>).

Should Dave J introduce finished but unnumbered models, (perhaps as a short run limited edition to "test the waters") this would certainly plug a gap in the market.

F

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some multiple units in future Dave...

Steve

Hmmm....yes, how about 7mm DMUs?  Now the defunct Bachmann are sought after.........nice niche there (can you say "nice niche" in here? :sarcastichand:  )

Would love a couple of 7mm Lightweights, or even 108s at a pinch, if they were more accurate than the Skytrex versions.

Yesssss please, two sets of two Lightweights for me!  Ooops...no wish lists....I know :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

With his experience at Dapol, I am sure that Dave knows the UK model railway market as well as anyone, so I am curious to learn why only locomotives were chosen to launch DJModels?

It's my belief that locos are generally accepted as being more profitable and thus more of an appropriate choice to kick start the venture.

Cheers,

Mick

Hmmm....yes, how about 7mm DMUs?  Now the defunct Bachmann are sought after.........nice niche there (can you say "nice niche" in here? :sarcastichand:  )

Would love a couple of 7mm Lightweights, or even 108s at a pinch, if they were more accurate than the Skytrex versions.

Yesssss please, two sets of two Lightweights for me!  Ooops...no wish lists....I know :mosking:

This is not a wish list, but... please Dave?

I'm not speaking for Dave but I am thinking from a forum point of view.

There's no point in wishing and wanting stuff that's not been announced as there will be a natural build up of momentum rather than a rash of announcements. Keep it to relevant discussions on products announced please and that'll cut down the amount that readers will have to wade through.

For those who obviously didn't read this....

It's my belief that locos are generally accepted as being more profitable and thus more of an appropriate choice to kick start the venture.

Interestingly a belief that PECO don't agree with.  They are deliberately not producing locos to go with their new 009 stock and historically have had very few locos in any scale.

Interestingly a belief that PECO don't agree with.  They are deliberately not producing locos to go with their new 009 stock and historically have had very few locos in any scale.

Yes but they made their only loco of the last 30 years in a totally different way - manufactured in the UK and much of it hand assembled. That probably is not a very profitable route.

And to be honest, they haven't put much effort into their N wagons recently either. Apart from the HAA, mostly just repaints of their long-established range. They - probably quite wisely - stick to what they know, which is track.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

And to be honest, they haven't put much effort into their N wagons recently either. Apart from the HAA, mostly just repaints of their long-established range. They - probably quite wisely - stick to what they know, which is track.

That may be true in N Gauge but in OO9 they have introduced L&B wagons with coaches due very soon. There have also been several new introductions in 7mm lineside accessories but I agree with the track comments as there is now 7mm set-track available and HOn3 track and points were introduced earlier in the year.

• RMweb Gold

Peco stated that their experience lies elsewhere so initially went for the wagons to encourage someone else to do a loco and offererd to provide support too. They were prepared to tackle it if no-one else stepped up but felt that trying to start from scratch would only serve to inflate the price which conflicted with their aim to make 009 rtr feasible rather than top end collectors only.

Realtrack started with wagons, I guess Dave just identified locos as the area he felt had the greatest need of increasing the benchmark.

I wish you all the very best of luck with the new venture Dave.

J94 eagerly awaited.

Don't let the sour grapes and muck raking from a tiny minority hinder your aims.

How any body can sink so low as to raise comments about your previous employment is beyond me.

Unless, as you point, out they have a hidden agenda.

Bernard

Mmmm, Austerities!  I have a tin of Backworth NCB Blue ready and waiting.  I'm in for one, maybe, two, nah, three.

Funnily enough that was one of my ideas- any idea where to get transfers with the shading on the wrong side for most of the letters?

Les

OK I think Dave should be commended for starting his own venture and especially for going into the RTR in 7mm. I think what ever any ones opinion is Dave just happened to be the face or voice of Dapol on here and decided to interact with "us" to improve there models and give modellers an opinion.

What ever any ones opinion on the issues with Dapol products or the reason for which he left Dapol its not really any of our business.

We've got a new RTR manufacturer and the success of this venture will depend on the quality of the models. I personally hope he does a good job and we get more RTR in 7mm.

This is a model railway forum.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the posting.

It's a good idea, but I'd be tempted to fit only higher end decoders to make sure everything is within parameters of the motor under DCC.

This might reflect on the price somewhat so I won't say no, but are council from my learned friends and colleagues on here please?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the posting.

It's a good idea, but I'd be tempted to fit only higher end decoders to make sure everything is within parameters of the motor under DCC.

This might reflect on the price somewhat so I won't say no, but are council from my learned friends and colleagues on here please?

Cheers

Dave

I think Dave, presuming that ease of fitting is 'built in', you might be better suggesting decoders that are suitable for each model (especially as you are so 'hands-on' with every aspect of production, testing, etc.).  Though of course you might make a small additional profit on the decoder margins I would think, at least in your early stages, that having to stock separate DCC and DCC fitted would be a hassle you could do without!

Archived