Where are the Hornby models?

I'm tempted by the blue/grey version.  

What were the promised improvements on new releases of the VEP?  I think they were end bogies to be put on the correct way round and windows and doors in the internal partitions. 

I know the running quality was an issue but don't remember any change of motor promised.  Were they going to leave off traction tyres?  Was the motor going to be moved to the guard's compartment?  I doubt they've done anything to alter the look of the cab front, which some didn't like.

I'm tempted by the blue/grey version.  

What were the promised improvements on new releases of the VEP?  I think they were end bogies to be put on the correct way round and windows and doors in the internal partitions. 

I know the running quality was an issue but don't remember any change of motor promised.  Were they going to leave off traction tyres?  Was the motor going to be moved to the guard's compartment?  I doubt they've done anything to alter the look of the cab front, which some didn't like.

I agree that I recall they only promised those two items (not sure if the promise is the right word) but were then flooded with other suggestions. I have sent a query email to their customer services, who should reply within 5 working days. Let's see.

Interesting - hopefully I'll hear from Hattons about my pre-order soon! They are still showing the "Due into stock on or after Monday 22nd December 2014" on their web site, so I presume that means their order hasn't reached them yet...

I understand that the final batch of P2s have arrived - all 60 (!!!) of them (but they aren't going to retailers).

I am increasingly in a state of scepticism with my hobby, or should I say its major suppliers.

Just today I bought  December "Railway Modeller" mag, a 2 page rave review for the above loco, which seems to be now unavailable at most, if not all retailers.

New models announced every week, but you need to jump through (ever more expensive) hoops to get em.

Ah well, such is life. I must find more things to do and less things to buy.

Brit15

I agree that I recall they only promised those two items (not sure if the promise is the right word) but were then flooded with other suggestions. I have sent a query email to their customer services, who should reply within 5 working days. Let's see.

Hopefully something - going to tow mine behind a Bachmann CEP anyway................ want a spare 5-pole motor anyone ?

Just received an email from Kernow, which gives the following information:

"We have received a delivery from Hornby. Items R3099 / R3103 / R3115 / R3129 have been supplied today but only a tiny fraction of our order has been delivered. Hornby advise there will be no more of these items and we regret with the exception of R3103 we do not have enough to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control, although we do note that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website."    To see what we received go to our website, ( by clicking on the images in the message)

The last sentence is, I think, very telling.  Short-changing major customers would not, IMHO, appear to be the right way to maintain goodwill, but then perhaps they aren't very interested in doing so......

Guest spet0114

The last sentence is, I think, very telling.  Short-changing major customers would not, IMHO, appear to be the right way to maintain goodwill, but then perhaps they aren't very interested in doing so......

This appears to be a repeat of Hornby's tactic earlier this year with the "Great Goodbye" set of A4s - keeping the stock back to sell themselves and leaving the retailers unable to fulfill pre-orders. In my opinion it's an absolute disgrace and the principal reason I cancelled all but one of my Hornby pre-orders. That money has been spent with other manufacturers.

Cheers

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

This is getting ridiculous.  Hornby now advising of items postponed until middle of next year despite assurances that all announced in the 2014 catalogue would turn up in 2014, stuff still awaited from 2012 let alone 2013.

If this keeps up the cash flow will collapse and they will be out of business.

• RMweb Gold

This is getting ridiculous.  Hornby now advising of items postponed until middle of next year despite assurances that all announced in the 2014 catalogue would turn up in 2014, stuff still awaited from 2012 let alone 2013.

If this keeps up the cash flow will collapse and they will be out of business.

Once I've received the few items I have outstanding, it might be less stressful if they do. :jester:

The way they are behaving at the moment, many of their dealers wouldn't notice much difference.

John

Reading between the lines I would reckon that the cash flow problem at Hornby is getting rather serious.

It would also look as though they are heading for a record low level of pre Christmas sales.

Will any one have any money left by Feb or March when the goodies are expected to arrive?

Bernard

Reading between the lines I would reckon that the cash flow problem at Hornby is getting rather serious.

It would also look as though they are heading for a record low level of pre Christmas sales.

Will any one have any money left by Feb or March when the goodies are expected to arrive?

Bernard

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/Hornby-recovery-track-losses-halved-075511655--finance.html#EVHROhU

"Current indications are that it will meet our expectations"... make of that what you will.

• RMweb Premium

Good question David - I was wondering that myself. I wouldn't mind a BR liveried Brake 2nd and checked the other day that they are still on Hornby's web site for future release - but they aren't on that list!

• RMweb Gold

Just received an email from Kernow, which gives the following information:

"We have received a delivery from Hornby. Items R3099 / R3103 / R3115 / R3129 have been supplied today but only a tiny fraction of our order has been delivered. Hornby advise there will be no more of these items and we regret with the exception of R3103 we do not have enough to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control, although we do note that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website."    To see what we received go to our website, ( by clicking on the images in the message)

And this morning I got a very similar one from Rails of Sheffield, making the same point about being short-delivered on their orders while Hornby is offering the same items for direct sale.

This from Rails of Sheffield today and hats of to them for telling it as it is!

Hornby Update

We have received a small allocation of the R3103 and the R3115. Hornby have advised there will be no more of these items and we regret we do not have enough stock to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control. We are very disappointed that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website, Even though they have not fulfilled our order.

How much longer can this situation carry on and with Christmas approaching?

XF

• RMweb Gold

This from Rails of Sheffield today and hats of to them for telling it as it is!

Hornby Update

We have received a small allocation of the R3103 and the R3115. Hornby have advised there will be no more of these items and we regret we do not have enough stock to cover our pre-orders. Hornby say this is because Kader have only supplied a very small quantity of these models which they evidently only found out once they sent the deliveries out yesterday. We can only apologise for this as it is completely out of our control. We are very disappointed that Hornby appear to have these models available for direct sale from their own website, Even though they have not fulfilled our order.

How much longer can this situation carry on and with Christmas approaching?

XF
Tell that to to CEO Richard Ames. Their latest situation report is upbeat.We see things a little differently.

Just seen a news clip on TV about Hornby's losses less this year than last year. Bit of good news.

A layout was shown with a Smokey Joe pushing a Bulleid tender around a layout at high speed !!!!!!!!!!!! Good advert for their super detailed "cleverly designed" models - not.

As mentioned in the Model Railway Express (link above) too many new models have been announced recently, and the manufacturers cant even produce the stuff in their last catalogue, let alone every day bread & butter stuff. From reading various threads on this site (and others) there does not seem to be a shortage of punters with money - just a shortage of stuff to buy. What an unbelievable situation.

This (to a degree) is also happening in overseas markets - Weaver in the USA cannot get it's O scale diesel locos made, and can't give dates for it's many customers  (me included).

Things will start to go "POP" soon. Retailers (shops) need products to sell, or they will close. Will we all pay top whack to Hornby (and no-one else - for they will have none) for the few items that get made ?. Good luck to the newcomers, (Rapido, DJ etc) - but we need actual models, not promises and ever moving dates (along with ever escalating prices).

Brit15

Tell that to to CEO Richard Ames. Their latest situation report is upbeat.We see things a little differently.

All very well, but if you lose the trust of your customers albeit members of the public or shop/trader you have issues! I hope that Richard Ames strategy works at Hornby, however looking at his profile (away from the Hornby website) it is not a certainty!

XF

Oh dear - it's not looking good, is it? Shame there's no explanation from Hornby. Either Kader are just ignoring the terms of their contract with Hornby, or Hornby are lying and retaining stock to try and maximise profit from these models by selling them directly. Either way, it looks bad for the long-term future of the red box, which is a shame. Or is it? Perhaps the tooling might be bought by a company that has a better idea of what its customers want, and I might finally get to buy a green BR Schools class with original chimney, and all those other livery variations they have chosen to ignore whilst churning ever more large logo class 50s, SR King Arthurs, etc etc.

Archived