Laoson Valley - 1990's to modern day TMD, Oil Terminal & P-Way Yard

sdw7300

This week I have mostly been making bushes - or more specifically the favourite of the railways - Buddleia. I've been scratching my head, thinking about how to make some realistic Buddelia. I had a rummage around the garage for suitable materials and knocked up the following.

post-17057-0-55682700-1475661800_thumb.jpg

The three to the left are fine individual strands from untwisted picture hanging wire. The middle three are untwisted Shimano gear change wire. Next two are bristles from the garage broom and the final two are sisal rope (top right) and 0.6mm brass wire (bottom right). All are bound with sisal or fine wire and fixed with a blob of superglue then sprayed pale green. The picture hanging wire was the best as it can be bent into postion. 

I used Gaugemaster "leaves" applied with plenty of Asda's cheapest hairspray. Once dry the end of the tips were dabbed with PVA and dipped in purple flock.

post-17057-0-39948800-1475661801_thumb.jpg

This batch took ages but now I know what I'm doing I could knock them up reasonable quickly. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

post-17057-0-25562600-1475661802_thumb.jpg

post-17057-0-09139100-1475661803_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Those Buddelia look really effective Sam.

​Ive searched for 00 gauge ones and can I find any?! (knowing me I've not looked in the right places!)

Trev :)

Cheers Trev

I couldn't find any on the web either which is why thought I'd have a crack at making some. When I make my next batch I could do a few extras for you if you want.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and likes. I'm very pleased with how the buddelia turned out.

In readiness for the leaf fall season 97303 collected the RHTT which will be based at Laoson Valley for the Autumn.

post-17057-0-11458400-1475955591_thumb.jpg

post-17057-0-50170700-1475955566_thumb.jpg

post-17057-0-04295800-1475955603_thumb.jpg

TTFN

• Like 14

Was the rhtt kit easy to assemble?

It's not too hard - probably took approx. 20 hours to complete. There are a few step by step build guides on RMweb - I added a few photos earlier in this thread or Nick's (RS4) "Examples of my weathering" thread is excellent.

That Buddleia looks really good Sam. Where did you get the purple flock from? I asked Jacqui from Ceynix and she said she made her own up!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike

Not sure where I got the purple flock from - I think I picked it up from a local show.  

A small bit of progress at Laoson Valley - the fencing contractors have been in to secure the TMD.

post-17057-0-96737400-1476456054_thumb.jpg

This is the third type of security fencing on the layout and by far my favourite. This is the new Wills/Peco offering. It's easy to use and very detailed. It's had a blast of Poundland primer followed by Poundland Auto silver then a wash of grim to tone it done.

Next I have been working on bits for the P-Way yard. I fancied a pile of ballast bags. I've bought some in the past (sat at the back of the layout) but they looked a bit naff and were fairly dear so I thought I'd have a crack at making my own.

post-17057-0-02269500-1476456056_thumb.jpg

12mm cubes of DAS clay wrapped in muslin cloth to imprint the sides and "squashed" slightly.

post-17057-0-76455700-1476456056_thumb.jpg

Handles added using dental floss - this REALLY tests your patience. I can do about 9 bags in an hour.

post-17057-0-94347600-1476456057_thumb.jpg

Finally painted white then a bit of ballast glued in the top.  

Looking forward to my Friday night garage session with a beer and ABGT on the stereo! 

• Like 10

Sam,

The ballast bags look excellent fancy having a go at some of these myself but I have a couple of questions.

Where did you get the muslin you wrapped the modelling clay in and did you leave it on or peel it off?

What glue did you use to fit the dental floss handles?

Cheers Trev

I couldn't find any on the web either which is why thought I'd have a crack at making some. When I make my next batch I could do a few extras for you if you want.

Cheers

Yes please mate that would be excellent!

Cheers

Trev :)

Sam,

The ballast bags look excellent fancy having a go at some of these myself but I have a couple of questions.

Where did you get the muslin you wrapped the modelling clay in and did you leave it on or peel it off?

What glue did you use to fit the dental floss handles?

Thanks Gary

I took a couple of pic's to show how I made them last night:

post-17057-0-35469100-1476881009_thumb.jpg

I glued a couple of pieces of 12mm high wood, 12mm apart onto an offcut of MDF

post-17057-0-33502100-1476881010_thumb.jpg

Laid a piece of muslin cloth over the mould and then squashed DAS modelling clay in. The top was levelled off with the kids play-doh rolling pin (don't tell them!) then a flap of the muslin laid over the top and rolled again. The whole lot was lifted from the mould still wrapped in the muslin. The corners were rounded slightly then the clay unwrapped and cut into 12mm cubes. The cut ends will form the top and bottom of the bag, so the imprinted edges form the sides. A gentle squash on the top gives the appearance of a bulging bag.

Handles assembled using superglue. The floss doesn't want to stay bent so they were made in two stages. Bend an approx. 70mm piece of floss over a cocktail stick, pinching the two ends together and putting in a couple of twists. Dab a bit of superglue on the twist trying not to get too much superglue on your fingers (The fingerprint scanner on my phone didn't work for a couple of days after doing this). Once dry, cut the excess tails off and superglue the handles on the corners of the bags.

post-17057-0-09193100-1476881011_thumb.jpg

(Can't remember if I said this in my previous post - painted white with Humbrol acrylic and then a carefully placed dab of PVA on the top followed by a sprinkle of ballast).

Very time consuming but I think they look better than (and are certainly a lot cheaper than) shop bought offerings.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This thread is not only a brilliant TMD; it's becoming a general modelling master class also. The ballast bags look great, and the buddleia is superb. Both are on my try-it-out list now; thanks!

And to really cap it off, I've taken the recommendation and am also currently listening to ABGT whilst browsing here :-)

Cheers

Rob

• 3 weeks later...