Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the EP samples you saw were any different from the images posted earlier in this thread by me and a few others.

No photo's I'm afraid as the Hornby stand was in perhaps the darkest corner of the whole show but they looked the same as the earlier posted photos's. 2 tender styles  - the low sided (2500 gallon?) and the more common high sided. All had molded rear tender handrails which really grated - reminded me of when the old Airfix Castle was first released. Didn't realise the steam pipes were molded in as well - oh dear  - we really are going backwards now!

No photo's I'm afraid as the Hornby stand was in perhaps the darkest corner of the whole show but they looked the same as the earlier posted photos's. 2 tender styles  - the low sided (2500 gallon?) and the more common high sided. All had molded rear tender handrails which really grated - reminded me of when the old Airfix Castle was first released. Didn't realise the steam pipes were molded in as well - oh dear  - we really are going backwards now!

Moulded details really don't bother me so that is not an issue. I've always got top quality service from Hornby and had great runners unlike Bachmann who were the opposite. But thanks for the update :)

An unnecesssaary bash of Bachmann from someone who appears to be pro-Hornby to an extreme (even recently changing their user name to that effect, which I can't be the only person to find a little odd).

Lets face it, both manufacturers have their plusses and minuses, and lets not pretend otherwise. I don't want to start the design clever debate again. Suffice to say the Hall is not designedto be a top of the range model, there's Bachmann for that (when they figureout which version they are producing in any particular case!).

Sorry but that comment was unnecessarily annoying. A little more objective analysis would get you a long way sir.

• RMweb Gold

Moulded details really don't bother me so that is not an issue. I've always got top quality service from Hornby and had great runners unlike Bachmann who were the opposite. But thanks for the update :)

Sorry but I don't understand your comment re:Bachmann.In my experience,their service dept.is second to none,always helpful in a constructive manner and quick to respond to any query/problem I have had.

My experience with purchases of model locos,right across the spectrum,is that I am more likely to experience problems with Hornby than I am with Bachmann,I'm afraid.

Suffice to say the Hall is not ersigned to be a top of the range model, there's Bachmann for that (when they figureout which version they are producing in any particular case!).

Rood Ashton Hall is to be a 'top of the range model', or at least in the 'general' range as opposed to "Railroad". For your extra £37 the distinctions between that and the two Railroad models include paint work, including the back head, etched name plates and cab glazing.

EDIT: updated stale links,

WR buyers seem more intent on buying on price, and they sell at maybe 40% below, or half shop retail. Too small a sample to draw any serious conclusions though.

Interestingly SK has in the past expressed the view that Western locos don't sell - but I suspect that needs to be finessed as you try finding a (modern) Hornby 'Castle' in any BR period livery (although I did see one yesterday and it was the first for some time).

But then I live in and attend shows in Western territory so it might make a difference or maybe Western modellers hang on to stuff once they've got it?  Are we tight fisted when it comes to prices - not really I think.

Gents, this little sidebar did amuse me this morning. I won't question Rob's observations for a moment but it's hard to imagine any real regional* price sensitivity though I suggest there continues to be 'blow back' from the 'good old days' thirty years ago of ubiquitous GWR BLTs and the many RTR blessings for those who chose to model the west.

All new models are in high demand by enthusiasts off all stripes.

I would suggest that anyone who has maintained an interest in western stock over the years probably already has 'more than enough to run' (using what I'll label the 'SWMBO standard', which never applies to shoes, purses, antiques etc) and that the decision to purchase more is going to be driven mostly by novelty and/or fidelity.

(Novelty in this case being a *new* previously un-modelled prototype.

If the novelty or fidelity are not met in a model then long-time enthusiasts probably would want a bargain to pick up something second hand.

* I wonder if our Scottish region enthusiasts want to weigh in?

Ah but is that 'top of the range' like a Castle, or like Tornado (mainly a paint job)?

My understanding is that the hall will be based on the RR model

Rood Ashton Hall is only £8 cheaper than Thorpe Hall, which we all agree is a 'top of the range' model and as a 4-6-0 should be a good comparison point.

Yes, I expect the tooling to be exactly the same for the Railroad and regular range Hall models.

• RMweb Gold

Rood Ashton Hall is only £8 cheaper than Thorpe Hall, which we all agree is a 'top of the range' model and as a 4-6-0 should be a good comparison point.

I see it's the usual ambiguity of the Hornby catalogue image saying GWR Hall but the image is the BR version.What livery is Rood Ashton in then ?

I see it's the usual ambiguity of the Hornby catalogue image saying GWR Hall but the image is the BR version.What livery is Rood Ashton in then ?

BR for sure. From recollection it is late crest, but that could be a guess  - I can't say what makes me think it is late crest. Call it pure speculation.

The livery specifics (and other details) have been a point of contention for a while now.

Curiously the picture for Olton Hall has changed. Instead of the "Hogwart's Express" crest on the tender, the current picture shows a red locomotive with "GREAT <crest> WESTERN" on the tender. I presume this is the current livery for the locomotive? As posted earlier, this channels "Lord Westwood".

If the contents of Hornby's dimly-lit travelling showcase are anything to go by, the appearance of a 3500g tender behind one of the EPs is a new factor (from what had been interpreted/understood at the time of the initial late-2012 announcement). Hornby will have two versions of the 3500g to choose from, the flush-riveted design-clever from the Star, or the design-expensive riveted version from the Grange and 28xx. Presumably, the next product publicity stage for the Hall will be some December photoshop versions for the '2014 catalogue'.

The current livery on 5972 is Hogwarts Red with the Hogwarts crest on the tender, although for some events that it has appeared with the Hogwarts crest covered so that it doesn't break the Harry Potter licensing. I presume the Hogwarts Red with "GREAT <crest> WESTERN" on the tender is done for the same reason.

• RMweb Premium

I'm just hoping that 5972 does have the Hogwarts railways logo as no-one I have contacted will do custom transfers for me due to licensing issues. However Fox have said they can do an etched headboard and etched nameplates which is a bonus. I don't have a printer and would be dubious creating my own as I have never done it before.

• RMweb Gold

Ah but is that 'top of the range' like a Castle, or like Tornado (mainly a paint job)?

My understanding is that the hall will be based on the RR model

Mine too - and that will presumably include the lack of daylight behind the steam pipes (or maybe it isn't finished yet?).  As I've said previously - I reserve judgement until I see the finished article but thus far it doesn't look right to me (possiby because of the steam pipes?).

An unnecesssaary bash of Bachmann from someone who appears to be pro-Hornby to an extreme (even recently changing their user name to that effect, which I can't be the only person to find a little odd).

Lets face it, both manufacturers have their plusses and minuses, and lets not pretend otherwise. I don't want to start the design clever debate again. Suffice to say the Hall is not designedto be a top of the range model, there's Bachmann for that (when they figureout which version they are producing in any particular case!).

Sorry but that comment was unnecessarily annoying. A little more objective analysis would get you a long way sir.

Well I'm sure you are smart enough to know that everyone has a difference in opinion. My name shouldn't bother you as it has no effect on your life. Your not contributing to the topic anyway. I am not saying Bachmann are full of negatives but I've always had a faulty model from them and then charging us the P&P to get a replacement?? Hornby have always offered this free of cost and even provided me with a controller and adapter free of cost when my 15 year old one gave up. That to me is "CUSTOMER CARE" You are free to disagree to my opinion but at the end of the day what really doesn't bother you personally you shouldn't have to bother about it. It added nothing to the topic. Your worried about bashing Bachmann when I had a genuine issue with them but you don't mind causing personal attacks.

Sorry but I don't understand your comment re:Bachmann.In my experience,their service dept.is second to none,always helpful in a constructive manner and quick to respond to any query/problem I have had.

My experience with purchases of model locos,right across the spectrum,is that I am more likely to experience problems with Hornby than I am with Bachmann,I'm afraid.

How can you not understand a simple thing? What experience you have and what I have don't have to be the same!! You had issues with Hornby, I didn't! It's so simple.

I don't really bother about detail. I've had Hornby models for 15 years that have run beautifully without any glitch and without any oiling or anything of that sort. But I've had Bachmann locos with a lot of trouble. It is my opinion and what I have faced.

• RMweb Gold

BR for sure. From recollection it is late crest, but that could be a guess  - I can't say what makes me think it is late crest. Call it pure speculation.

The livery specifics (and other details) have been a point of contention for a while now.

Curiously the picture for Olton Hall has changed. Instead of the "Hogwart's Express" crest on the tender, the current picture shows a red locomotive with "GREAT <crest> WESTERN" on the tender. I presume this is the current livery for the locomotive? As posted earlier, this channels "Lord Westwood".

The printed catalogue show the prototype 'Rood Ashton' with late livery, the description simply says 'BR'.  The printed catalogue isn't much help for the two 'Railroad' engines describing both as 'GWR' although logically 'Adderley' would the one with the smaller tender (which I don't think was in the original announcement).  Looks like Hornby might well have been a bit clever here and could be producing the GW liveried version with the smaller tender in order to widen the market appeal - maybe SK will be able to confirm if he appears at Wycrail? (which might also offer a chance for close-up examination as it did last year with the 8 coupled tanks.

The printed catalogue show the prototype 'Rood Ashton' with late livery, the description simply says 'BR'.  The printed catalogue isn't much help for the two 'Railroad' engines describing both as 'GWR' although logically 'Adderley' would the one with the smaller tender (which I don't think was in the original announcement).  Looks like Hornby might well have been a bit clever here and could be producing the GW liveried version with the smaller tender in order to widen the market appeal - maybe SK will be able to confirm if he appears at Wycrail? (which might also offer a chance for close-up examination as it did last year with the 8 coupled tanks.

If anyone has SK's ID which was given somewhere in the "Hornby 2013 Announcements" thread, he will clarify it for you. In my experience he has always replied within 12 hours :) and Hornby do tend to respond faster on facebook rather than their own website.

Well I'm sure you are smart enough to know that everyone has a difference in opinion. My name shouldn't bother you as it has no effect on your life. Your not contributing to the topic anyway. I am not saying Bachmann are full of negatives but I've always had a faulty model from them and then charging us the P&P to get a replacement?? Hornby have always offered this free of cost and even provided me with a controller and adapter free of cost when my 15 year old one gave up. That to me is "CUSTOMER CARE" You are free to disagree to my opinion but at the end of the day what really doesn't bother you personally you shouldn't have to bother about it. It added nothing to the topic. Your worried about bashing Bachmann when I had a genuine issue with them but you don't mind causing personal attacks.

How can you not understand a simple thing? What experience you have and what I have don't have to be the same!! You had issues with Hornby, I didn't! It's so simple.

I don't really bother about detail. I've had Hornby models for 15 years that have run beautifully without any glitch and without any oiling or anything of that sort. But I've had Bachmann locos with a lot of trouble. It is my opinion and what I have faced.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, indeed our experiences are not dissimilar. Sorry for the personal attack, it was not meant to be an 'attack' merely a request to recognise others' experiences.

many years ago, Hornby provided me with a postage label to sent an item to them. When I requested something similar many years later it was not forthcoming. Similarly, every Bachmann loco I've had (bar one) has needed several exchanges to get 'right'. But ditto with a recent Hornby coach. I guess I'm saying that many people (except for the few 'lucky' ones) have had issues with manufacturers, but just accept it as a part of dealing with (certainly distance) trade.

As for detail, again that is a fraught point, I recognise that some don't bother with detail, however fear that a vocal 'if it runs well its great' band will induce the manufacturers into doing more of what Hornby has been doing, great running models that are going down in detail.

• RMweb Gold

There are ways of expressing your opinions in a decent,civilised manner without recourse to a dose of mild hysteria,thank you..This should be a forum for a friendly exchange of views.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, indeed our experiences are not dissimilar. Sorry for the personal attack, it was not meant to be an 'attack' merely a request to recognise others' experiences.

many years ago, Hornby provided me with a postage label to sent an item to them. When I requested something similar many years later it was not forthcoming. Similarly, every Bachmann loco I've had (bar one) has needed several exchanges to get 'right'. But ditto with a recent Hornby coach. I guess I'm saying that many people (except for the few 'lucky' ones) have had issues with manufacturers, but just accept it as a part of dealing with (certainly distance) trade.

As for detail, again that is a fraught point, I recognise that some don't bother with detail, however fear that a vocal 'if it runs well its great' band will induce the manufacturers into doing more of what Hornby has been doing, great running models that are going down in detail.

I do agree with what you said. For a matter like this you could have sent me a PM. The way you put it will make it look like a personal attack. If you had no intention then I don't take any offence to your post. The end result will always be that I prefer Hornby over Bachmann only because of the satisfaction I got out of them when compared to Bachmann. If it was the other way around I would prefer Bachmann. Another thing I probably didn't mention is that living in a country like India P&P doesn't come cheap. Add to that the lovely Indian Postal system is a very nosey one.....All parcels are usually tampered with. So I cannot afford to keep paying over and over again and not be able to get a refund.

I'm just hoping that 5972 does have the Hogwarts railways logo as no-one I have contacted will do custom transfers for me due to licensing issues. However Fox have said they can do an etched headboard and etched nameplates which is a bonus. I don't have a printer and would be dubious creating my own as I have never done it before.

My local model shop sells these (and on eBay) Peter's Spares posts worldwide if it helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HARRY-POTTER-HOGWARTS-EXPRESS-NAME-BOARD-X9152-/310356560796?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4842b14b9c

He also sells the complete Castle body with headboard with printed namesplates that could be removed and placed on the Hall.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HARRY-POTTER-HOGWARTS-CASTLE-5972-LOCO-BODY-BRAND-NEW-/310396697177?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item484515ba59

Mike Wiltshire

Archived