Class 47 photos

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely photos...    How many different liveries have the 47s appeared in??

Bill

Sorry if this has already been answered, but i think it's safe to say the only livery I can think of the 47s haven't been in is Rail Freight Coal. The class has had just about every livery you can think of put on it at some point. Just as a side note, it's the only class to have had all 508 members carry BR blue at the same time with no other liverys being applied to the class till large logo was introduced.

Dave.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been answered, but i think it's safe to say the only livery I can think of the 47s haven't been in is Rail Freight Coal. The class has had just about every livery you can think of put on it at some point. Just as a side note, it's the only class to have had all 508 members carry BR blue at the same time with no other liverys being applied to the class till large logo was introduced.

Dave.

There were 512 47's so 4 never carried BR, so the whole class didn't carry BR Blue. There are a few other Liveries that 57's never carried:

Regional Railways

Load Haul (either version)

Transrail (either version)

Mainline Freight (either version)

EWS/EW&S

RF General (only carried by 50149/37104 & 86/6's, There was another 37, 67X that carried it but only for publicity pictures)

Then there are more of the 'post privatisation' liveries (GNER/GBRF), I have only listed the ex BR and first round of Privatised liveries I can remember.

Al

There were 512 47's so 4 never carried BR, so the whole class didn't carry BR Blue. There are a few other Liveries that 57's never carried:

Regional Railways

Load Haul (either version)

Transrail (either version)

Mainline Freight (either version)

EWS/EW&S

RF General (only carried by 50149/37104 & 86/6's, There was another 37, 67X that carried it but only for publicity pictures)

Then there are more of the 'post privatisation' liveries (GNER/GBRF), I have only listed the ex BR and first round of Privatised liveries I can remember.

Al

For the sake of being pedantic, I know there were originally 512 Brush type 4s. But, the point I was trying to make is that the class 47 (not 57s, which wasn't the question anyway) is the only class to have had all its remaining members in the same livery at the same time.

If you mean 47s didn't carry the above liverys, your wrong 47 475 carried regional railways livery, and

47 145 carried Railfreight General when first applied. There were also several 47s that carried EWS colours the most obvious is Windor Caslte.

Dave

Edited by Thames 611

47727,744,747,757,758,760,767,773,778,785,786,787,790,792 & 47793 all carried either EWS or EW&S Livery.

Edited by B Exam

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - a couple of oldies from a trip I made to Barry Island in 1981

23860579923_5897831c21_c.jpg

47229 at Barry Station, some might find the Presflow Hopper of interest

23860602733_997cf28ec7_c.jpg

Unidentified 47 at Cardiff Central on a Eastbound Tanker train

24191875170_b1742227f0_c.jpg

47508 at Preston on a Blackpool Service

all taken on 19th and 20th March 1981

Jim

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

But, the point I was trying to make is that the class 47 (not 57s, which wasn't the question anyway) is the only class to have had all its remaining members in the same livery at the same time.

What about the Deltics? Last repaint in to blue was about 1969, first application of Finsbury park Livery was 1979, so not only were all remaining members in the same livery at the same time, they were so for about ten years! Class 47 does not even come close! I suspect that there were many other classes that I am less familiar with that also were all in the same livery at the same time, most likely in the early to mid 70's. Class 50 must be another example. 

Edited by Titan

Hello,

You know what, I suspect your right. Here is the statement I got my fact from, I may have misinterpreted it. My bad.

"Chosen as the standard Corporate blue livery, and was eventually applied to all 508 47's surviving beyond 1972, being the only livery to be carried by the extant Class 47 fleet at any one time"

Taken from www.class47.co.uk.

• 1 month later...

For the sake of being pedantic, I know there were originally 512 Brush type 4s. But, the point I was trying to make is that the class 47 (not 57s, which wasn't the question anyway) is the only class to have had all its remaining members in the same livery at the same time.

If you mean 47s didn't carry the above liverys, your wrong 47 475 carried regional railways livery, and

47 145 carried Railfreight General when first applied. There were also several 47s that carried EWS colours the most obvious is Windor Caslte.

Dave

From January '72 onwards the entire class of seventy four Westerns were in the same version of blue / full yellow ends livery, they were all in regular service at the time. This situation didn't remain intact for very long though as twelve months later D1032 was stopped at Laira for the last time and withdrawn (on paper) in May '73.

To some, the massive spread of 'corporate blue' seemed very dull at the time, but when I see anything in rail blue today (preserved or on the mainline) I get a nice warm buzz!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Dave

47475 didn't carry Regional Railways livery it was in the old Provincial Trans-Pennine which although similar was a different livery.

Bry

Hello,

Ok, I'm not disagreeing with you completely, but I would refer you to www.class47.co.uk, its listed under regional railways. When it comes to matters of class 47s I'm more inclined to believe the information it presents.

Dave.

Edited by Thames 611

From January '72 onwards the entire class of seventy four Westerns were in the same version of blue / full yellow ends livery, they were all in regular service at the time. This situation didn't remain intact for very long though as twelve months later D1032 was stopped at Laira for the last time and withdrawn (on paper) in May '73.

To some, the massive spread of 'corporate blue' seemed very dull at the time, but when I see anything in rail blue today (preserved or on the mainline) I get a nice warm buzz!

Hello,

As I've already stated I may have misunderstood what I read and then made on my original statement,

but I agree that there were other classes that had all its members in corporate livery for a short time.

But I think the 47s hold the title when it comes to time and number of in corporate livery.

I would love nothing more than to see British Rail bought back and see the old liverys reapplied.

There is something appealing about the corporate and sector liverys that today's operating liverys just don't have.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Ok, I'm not disagreeing with you completely, but I would refer you to www.class47.co.uk, its listed under regional railways. When it comes to matters of class 47s I'm more inclined to believe the information it presents.

Dave.

In general yes, but in this case www.class47.co.uk is incorrect. 47475's Trans-Pennine livery is pretty much the Provincial sector livery, which preceded Regional Railways.

47475 plus Trans-Pennine livery Mk2s https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6065947126

Various locos and coaches in RR livery http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/five.htm

• 2 weeks later...

By no means perfect, but because of awkward light, and this being the only location available for me it had to do! 

47830 'Beeching's Legacy' 5S56 Laira - Carlisle N.Y FGW/GWR stock move for refurb at Kilmarnock. 10/4/16

26328237346_44c6bfe40d_k.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...