Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Just found this Richard :good:

Lookin' good...and coming together rapidly too... :O

Thanks.

That's the beauty of a small layout, progress can be quite rapid, plus, not too many other distractions in the evenings at the moment.

Will be making some more progress on the shop in the coming days ....

• Like 2

With the Christmas Cr*p on telly I wish I had a project and some room to work, I have spent the last 3 weeks just sitting with my Flip Flop looking for ideas for TLGP.

I spent the whole of last night watching Pete Watermans, Leamington Spar on You Tube whilst my wife played games on her new phone, Oh the joys of a quiet Christmas.

The other beauty of a compact layout is in the small detail that can be added and seen, the shop looks good and a little lighting will help.

Have a good New Year to you and your Family.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Santa brought a belated pressy today - well whilst while my wife was looking round the sales, I visited the local railway shop and ended up buying one of the new Hornby parcels van (NFV). Not clear to see in the photos, but need to get this one weathered now!

post-7854-0-98994300-1388171458.jpg

post-7854-0-52958800-1388171459.jpg

post-7854-0-05946000-1388171460.jpg

post-7854-0-55498900-1388171460.jpg

post-7854-0-02377300-1388171461.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Nice new Hornby model......Looks a lot like the Ratio kit I've just built......

The layout is really coming on.......

But I do worry seeing all those sidings with no buffer stops......Temporary or permanent !!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill,

Yes,  think similar, but not sure the origin of the Hornby one. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will know ...

I saw this in the modell shop, the owner mentioned that they had just come in and the price was attractive ....

Anyway, is one these R4585

As far as the buffer stops are concerned, I had thought about making my own, but still looking for drawings / photos. They ideally want to be SR or BR (Southern or Weston regions).

The alternative would be the SR kits from Lanarkshire Models or Ragstone Models. I didn't want to use the Peco ones again or the PH Designs, which are too modern.

• RMweb Gold

Nice pics again Richard, and another nice van that needs the Andy Pandy weathering touch, :O  hahhaha (see current RM).

I made a start with the weathering yesterday, but after problems with my airbrush and falling temperature in the garage, I gave up.

Might get chance tomorrow to get back onto the weathering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

HI

The majority of the brick work and windows on the shop have now been completed.

I need to make the lintle / sign above the shop window, so will hopefully get this started today.

A little more work required to tidy up the brick work and then the painting can commence.

Final major task will be the roof, complete with guttering etc.

Just visible through the windows are posters for LP's (those of us of a certain age will reme,ber these!)

I've also made a start on the weathering on the two parcel vehicles - too cold in the garage, so will finish the underframes and other weathering by hand brushing / weathering powders.

post-7854-0-85097900-1388332398.jpg

post-7854-0-47424400-1388332399.jpg

(Albums, left to right - Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast, Saxon - Strong Arm Of The Law and Judas Priest - British Steel. circa 1980)

post-7854-0-96811600-1388332399.jpg

post-7854-0-50882000-1388332400.jpg

post-7854-0-03599400-1388332401.jpg

• Like 9

Great choice of Albums Richard, I have Planet Rock tuned into the Car Radio and I drive the good Wife mad with the volume right up, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  she keeps telling me; YOUR NOT A TEENAGER ANYMORE, :O  :O  :O I think I am, hahhaha Being an Ex Bass player I tell her you need to FEEL THE BASS not hear it.

Buildings coming on nicely. :locomotive:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

As far as the buffer stops are concerned, I had thought about making my own, but still looking for drawings / photos. They ideally want to be SR or BR (Southern or Weston regions).

The alternative would be the SR kits from Lanarkshire Models or Ragstone Models. I didn't want to use the Peco ones again or the PH Designs, which are too modern.

Hi Richard

I seem to remember that Mainly Trains used to sell ex-GWR buffer stops - both whitemetal & etched brass I think(!!!). Could be worth checking out for you.

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean there will not be a 1980s version of your grandfather stood at the door of the shop, with his apron on?

cheers

Not sure that an apron wearing music store owner would like quite right ....

However, the shop interior is not fixed, so an alternative could be made, with the appropriate figure stood outside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

I seem to remember that Mainly Trains used to sell ex-GWR buffer stops - both whitemetal & etched brass I think(!!!). Could be worth checking out for you.

All the best

Dave

Dave,

They still do, according to their website. Might be worth thinking about ...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

It is coming along nicely.  The buildings are looking fantastic.

Hope you had a good xmas.

Thanks Ray - you'll have to pop round for a closer inspection!

Anyway, made a start on the roof for the shop - some interesting angles involved, so should be fun!

Given the brick work a base coat, which highlighted a few corners requiring attention, so sorted these as well.

Thoughts now turning to the parcel building .....

Also, a little work started on the space between the tracks. I want to add some puddles, but need to get some microscope slip glass (as per Gordon Gravett) ....

Thanks Bill,

Yes,  think similar, but not sure the origin of the Hornby one. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will know ...

I saw this in the modell shop, the owner mentioned that they had just come in and the price was attractive ....

Anyway, is one these R4585

Hi Richard

have you tried the old Mikes Models range available form Holt Model Railways?

Ian