Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

How about up this way again, push for Stafford 2015? there such nice people I sure they will have you back again.hahhaa

Andy :sungum:

Well that's always a possibilty - I'll speak to Colin when we are there ....

I've exhbited at Stafford quite a few times now, with my own layouts and helping friends. Always a great show, great bunch of people and very enjoyable. Providing of course that the pub does not run out of ale!!!! (I've been assured that this year, there will be plenty!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not much progress on the layout at the moment, but have painted the facia panels, which does alter the look quite considerably and helps to draw into the scene.

I'll get the two house and bridge glued down at the weekend, but probably not much more completed as I have a little work to get finished on Orchard Road, plus someone wants me to weather one his locos.

• RMweb Gold

I've been working on the wall that runs along the end of the tracks and placed roughly - needs to some work yet to bed into the scene properly.

Also shows the painted facias and the first sets of lights are fitted (only poking through the holes and yet to secured).

post-7854-0-25133200-1390129880.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

Does look such much better than bare wood!

Started to think about the re-fueling storage tank today and been looking through a few of my books and found a canditate to copy.

So, made a start on the tank today - using a section of 32mm pvc drain pipe that I had in the garage.

Still pondering on how the parcel depot building should look - I have a few ideas, but still can't settle on the details at the moment, so moving onto something else for the moment.

Insperation will strike somewhere!

• RMweb Gold

Looking better all the time!

Is that track poking out under the wall intended to suggest there used to be a continuation beyond the yard?

Well spotted!

Yes, that's the plan. Will become a little clearer once I get the road and pavement sorted.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Progress is being made on the fuel tank and given the first primer coat, which has highlighted a few areas where the 'domed' ends need some more work.

This is to be expected, so no great surprise.

I made a start on the support structure, but then thought that the plinths were too narrow, so need to remake these ....

• Like 1

Hi Mudmagnet,

This is looking very promising indeed
I do like a nice parcel van or coach....
Don't often see a layout based on such a depot either....

I particularly like the walling at the end of the layout,
and am wondering how that's going to look when finished

Also, what will you do to further disguise the fiddle entrance?
Some pipework perhaps?

Good to see another layout in the making from you sir

Marc

Edited by marc smith

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudmagnet,

This is looking very promising indeed

I do like a nice parcel van or coach....

Don't often see a layout based on such a depot either....

I particularly like the walling at the end of the layout,

and am wondering how that's going to look when finished

Also, what will you do to further disguise the fiddle entrance?

Some pipework perhaps?

Good to see another layout in the making from you sir

Marc

Thanks Marc,

The wall along the front will look much better when I get the road and pavement in place - complete with drains / puddles etc.

A little weathering will then help to finish off.

I had thought about some pipe work / cable trays along the bridge, but this will come later.

Still plenty to do on the main buildings first.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good,

I fancied a BR parcels layout once, was to be a 6 ' swipe across paddington parcels platform

Never got off the drawing board

Hi Rob,

Thanks

I thought that the parcels depot, for the period being modelled, would give plenty and variety of stock!

• RMweb Gold

I've painted the main structure of the fuel tank - still need to add the ladder and pipe work - just roughly placed on the layout. Still not entirely sure where it will sit, but worth moving around until the placement of the tank, plus the buildings look about right.

The steam loco is one that I've been weathering for someone.

post-7854-0-98519600-1390829803.jpg

post-7854-0-59403500-1390829804.jpg

• Like 4

This is looking nice. Will it be steam based? Not caught any mention but may have missed it. I thought of doing a parcels portion of a generic london station with OHLEs a few years ago when the 85 came out. Never did it but a parcels depot is something with a lot of operational interest not often modelled. In fact me and Mason added on to the Neale Bank plan which again has fallen by the wayside for now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is looking nice. Will it be steam based? Not caught any mention but may have missed it. I thought of doing a parcels portion of a generic london station with OHLEs a few years ago when the 85 came out. Never did it but a parcels depot is something with a lot of operational interest not often modelled. In fact me and Mason added on to the Neale Bank plan which again has fallen by the wayside for now!

Hi Cav,

No, purely BR Blue (1975 - 1983), same as Orchard Road - on the basis that this is stock that I have at the moment.

However, given time and finances, the period could be shifted to suit.

There should be plenty of scope for period and operation. Well that's the plan anyway!

• Like 1

Cool,

Tight focus.....I keep telling myself with layouts.

You need a ' golden valley ' parcels in there ( swindon - Gloucester ), could be a 31 or one or even two banger blue 37s...

Having said that a RES 47 wouldn't look out of place,,,,.

I've painted the main structure of the fuel tank - still need to add the ladder and pipe work - just roughly placed on the layout. Still not entirely sure where it will sit, but worth moving around until the placement of the tank, plus the buildings look about right.

Hi Mudmagnet,

Looking good sir.

Leaving the buildings, structures and that fuel tank loose for now is the best approach

I often find that despite much planning, a structure can often look better if placed slightly

away from where you first anticipated....

I have to say, I like the foreground of a layout to have sufficient "clear areas" 

so you don't get too many obstacles for a nice, low angled, trackside view

I think with the shed buildings and the tank in the foreground,

it may look a tad too much, IMHO

Perhaps the tank, and one building would look good between the front 2 tracks?

As you say, the best thing is to move them about, until you're happy with the composition / arrangement

Let us know what you decide

Cheers again

Marc

The steam loco is one that I've been weathering for someone.

attachicon.gifDSC_0006.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0015.JPG

At least it's a Great Western engine :)

Richard, I have just Googled; Exeter St Davids Loco Stabling and in the pics about three quarters the way down is a pic of your layout.

World famous or what! :O

I'll need your autograph on Saturday :no:

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Cool,

Tight focus.....I keep telling myself with layouts.

You need a ' golden valley ' parcels in there ( swindon - Gloucester ), could be a 31 or one or even two banger blue 37s...

Having said that a RES 47 wouldn't look out of place,,,,.

When I get chance, I'll get some more photos with some actual rolling stock and locos!

I'll probably run the layout in a couple of periods - so with 25's, then 31's and possibly with a few others ...

I want to get myself a Heljan 128 and even an MLV ....

• Like 1