Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

That is coming along nicely.

Other short 4-wheel stock that may be appropriate in the 1970s might include SPV former fish vans

and remember a few Fruit 'D's survived in limited use between Exeter and Barnstaple,

cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Really looks superb Mudmagnet :sungum: Lots of parcel vans! and the bridge looks nice.

Do I see a Signal Box?

Cheers, Reece

Thanks Reece,

No, that's not a signal box. This is modelled on a building that once stood in Barnstaple Junction yard and I reckon that the centre portion was once one of the platform mounted signal boxes on the Exeter / Barnstaple line.

There is evidence that the centre boarding on the rear was renewed - possibly where the brick chimney would once have been.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is coming along nicely.

Other short 4-wheel stock that may be appropriate in the 1970s might include SPV former fish vans

and remember a few Fruit 'D's survived in limited use between Exeter and Barnstaple,

cheers 

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestions. Some more wagons to look out for at exhibitions!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your comments.

I finished assembling the steel work for the bridge last night and hope to get the base coat of paint on tonight.

Next, I'll spray the stone work with grey primer for a base coat and then will be painted with acrylics. Painting acrylics direct onto the plastic is not always successful!

Hello Mudmagnet

Thought it was about time I said hello.

As a big fan of Orchard Road, I'll be very interested to see how your latest project develops. I'm slowly inching my way towards starting a small 00 layout and I know I'll find plenty of inspiration in your work.

I particularly like the idea of building a small parcels depot. I definitely want GUVs and CCTs to shunt on a new layout and my old parcels vans are among the few items to survive a massive cull of 00 gauge stock.

On the subject of parcel vans - friend passed on a few old magazines including Hornby Magazine for January 2008 which includes an interesting article entitled "Improving the Hornby (ex Lima) CCT". I've always liked these short wheel based vans (NOVs) and wished the original Lima models weren't so "basic". Very tempted to undertake the improvement work as a re-introduction to 00 modelling!  

A few photos from a slightly later date and from the other end of the country. Newcastle 1986-90

post-13274-0-88822000-1384725072.jpg

post-13274-0-36586100-1384725175.jpg

post-13274-0-53324400-1384725199.jpg

post-13274-0-29060000-1384725230.jpg

post-13274-0-70047500-1384725261.jpg

Love the weathering on the old SR van! Can't remember if this vehicle ever ran or just spent several months standing at the buffers.

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mudmagnet

Thought it was about time I said hello.

As a big fan of Orchard Road, I'll be very interested to see how your latest project develops. I'm slowly inching my way towards starting a small 00 layout and I know I'll find plenty of inspiration in your work.

I particularly like the idea of building a small parcels depot. I definitely want GUVs and CCTs to shunt on a new layout and my old parcels vans are among the few items to survive a massive cull of 00 gauge stock.

On the subject of parcel vans - friend passed on a few old magazines including Hornby Magazine for January 2008 which includes an interesting article entitled "Improving the Hornby (ex Lima) CCT". I've always liked these short wheel based vans (NOVs) and wished the original Lima models weren't so "basic". Very tempted to undertake the improvement work as a re-introduction to 00 modelling!  

A few photos from a slightly later date and from the other end of the country. Newcastle 1986-90

Love the weathering on the old SR van! Can't remember if this vehicle ever ran or just spent several months standing at the buffers.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for your kind words and especially the photos - very inspiration stuff.

I do like the replacement door on one of the vehicles - will have to replicate this when I get round to weathering my vehicles.

The old SR looks great!

I'll have look for the Hornby Mag article on the CCT van.

I did notice that someone here has been detailing the Lima van here.

Might wait until the new Hornby version comes out or order one from the well known Liverpool supplier!

Good to read that Orchard Road and Acacia Avenue has inspired you - nothing wrong with building a small layout (I prefer these myself to be honest) and hope to see you making a start and seeing some photos!

thanks again!

• RMweb Gold

The bridge is looking good. It going to another one of your masterpiece layouts.

Hi Ray,

I've been able to get some more paint on the steel work and given the stone work a spray of grey of primer. Just leaving to dry overnight and may make a start on the painting.

Thanks for the CCT link. I need to look around the site more. I spend most time here looking at layouts.

Having spent months in and out of the "for sale" box, I have actually started work on my CCTs. My first 00 modelling for years. But now I'm going to have to check out the new Hornby offerings. Needless to say I haven't been following new releases in 00 gauge for a long time. I'll probably also start making a few of 00 kits while working out a track plan etc so it'll probably be couple of months before there's enough happening to start a new thread.

Good to see you had a successful show with Orchard Road. It's a pity I probably won't get to see your layouts in person as I'm based way up north!

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the CCT link. I need to look around the site more. I spend most time here looking at layouts.

Having spent months in and out of the "for sale" box, I have actually started work on my CCTs. My first 00 modelling for years. But now I'm going to have to check out the new Hornby offerings. Needless to say I haven't been following new releases in 00 gauge for a long time. I'll probably also start making a few of 00 kits while working out a track plan etc so it'll probably be couple of months before there's enough happening to start a new thread.

Good to see you had a successful show with Orchard Road. It's a pity I probably won't get to see your layouts in person as I'm based way up north!

Alan

Hi Alan

Nothing wrong making a few kits. A couple of the vans are Parkside kits and make up into good vans.

Difficult seeing layouts in all parts of the country, all down to exhibition managers seeing and inviting me up north! Will be off to Stafford though in February.

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of the bridge, during construction and then painted, being positioned but not fixed in place.

post-7854-0-78106400-1385067100.jpg

post-7854-0-31081100-1385067101.jpg

The stone work was painted using acrylics, mainly dry-brushed and dark washes added afterwards.

A little further drybrushing with light shades then were added, along with some 'moss' (green paint).

The steel work was made from plasticard, painted with grey enamel and then lightly weathered.

post-7854-0-86009500-1385067101.jpg

post-7854-0-53314000-1385067102.jpg

Next, I'll make a start on the buildings behind the bridge.

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

This is cracking along at some rate :)

The shots of the bridge are rather handy cos i keep doodling and/or looking at something rather similar - Nice to see how my betters do things :)

Thanks for your comments!

Rather than making your own steel work, the Wills Vari-girder works well.

• RMweb Gold

A few pages back, mention was made of the points and in particular the 'Vee'.

Using Ray's suggestion, a photocopy of the vee crossing was glued to a block of wood and when dry, grooves were cut using a saw into the wood along the rail centres.

These need opening up a little to allow sufficient width for the rail.

Then, the ends of the rail can be filed and test fitted into the jig.

Once satisfied that you a good, joint, then the two rails can be soldered together, finally being carefully lifted out.

post-7854-0-67961800-1385144209.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Visited Warley yesterday and bought quite a few bits and pieces that were on my shopping list!

Will be getting the soldering iron out this afternoon to assemble the Ten Commandments Brut trolleys and a couple of Wizzard / MSE ground signals.

I've also made a start on the two buildings that sit behind the bridge, but won't post any photos until these are nearing completion.

Hi Richard, Sounds like Warley was as expensive as ever, I gave it a miss this year, we managed to squeeze 7 big blokes into a Renault Espace 7 seater last year so saving a bit on the car park, its only 30 mins drive from here so not too painful, but I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years.

I only really wanted to see Bath Green  Park but couldn't get anywhere near it. And then spent money that I could have done at my local Model Shop without the £10 to go in.

Really looking forward to pics mate.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I didn't spend too much, well thats what I tell the wife!

Seriously though, I've soldered up the MSE ground signals - a bit of a fiddle, but got there! No, they won't be working!

Hope to get these painted over the weekend.

Also made a start on the Ten Commandments BRUT's - well started solding up the first three, another three to go!

Again, hoping to get these painted as well.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely layout, I love NPCC.  I don't know if your are already aware (not read any comments in the thread) but I just need to mention a couple of things about your Lima purchases.

The siphon needs something more than a change of wheels I'm afraid.  It needs a bogie swap (which is probably advantageous as far as finding finer profile wheels is concerned) as it stands it's riding on BR1s.  I think Bachmann and Replica do appropriate replacements but you will have to double check that.

The Lima BG isn't 57' long, it's riding on an interpretation of the standard 63' 5'' under frame so it's too long.

With the rest of the layout and stock looking spot on it would be a shame to overlook these points IMHO.

All the best Griff

• RMweb Gold

Lovely layout, I love NPCC.  I don't know if your are already aware (not read any comments in the thread) but I just need to mention a couple of things about your Lima purchases.

The siphon needs something more than a change of wheels I'm afraid.  It needs a bogie swap (which is probably advantageous as far as finding finer profile wheels is concerned) as it stands it's riding on BR1s.  I think Bachmann and Replica do appropriate replacements but you will have to double check that.

The Lima BG isn't 57' long, it's riding on an interpretation of the standard 63' 5'' under frame so it's too long.

With the rest of the layout and stock looking spot on it would be a shame to overlook these points IMHO.

All the best Griff

Thanks for the info Griff.

I'll have a look at the replacement / correct boiges for the siphon. I've not looked that closely at them for the moment.

I did get a set of replacement wheels, but need to drill out to fit brass bearings into the bogies sides - new bogies will save me doing this task!

Not sure what I'm going to do with the BG at the moment, will put on the backburner. I didn't pay that much for it anyway!

I was not too concerned about getting the rolling stock sorted at the moment anyway, as I wanted to get a bit further with the buildings ...

• RMweb Gold

I've finished off the BRUTs.

All soldered assembly, which didn't work out too bad.

They were sprayed with Halfords grey primer and left to dry thoroughly. I tried to airbrush them, but had a little problem with blue-tacking each down onto the spray turntable - i.e. not very successful and because each weighs next to nothing, kept getting blown away when I started airbrushing! So, no option but to hand-paint and very sparingly applied the paint using small brush. Allowing to dry and re-applying a little at a time until the desired finish was achieved. I then lightly weathered each one.

post-7854-0-61700300-1385909780.jpg

post-7854-0-13167100-1385909781.jpg

post-7854-0-87277000-1385909781.jpg

post-7854-0-43874000-1385909782.jpg

post-7854-0-94961300-1385909782.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Love those BRUT's they have come out fantastic. will look the part on Acacia Avenue.

Thanks Ray,

One is destined to appear on Orchard Road, along with one of the ground signals!