RMweb

Crilly Street. Class 08 diesel.

Father Dougal

Ok, some improvement with the old photo size image!

The good news is I can post pictures- hurrah!

Um....

Bad news is they only appear to be side on, so you may get a stiff neck!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the first warehouse. Balsa frame with DAS sculpted to represent stone. I still need to add guttering and glazing.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the main loading area for the brewery. Balsa frame again, with DAS sculpted for stone and brick. The roof tiles are cut up 'Weetabix' cereal packets. Again, not finished yet.

You can just see my new Lima shunter here. This is going to be improved once I have bought a few bits at the Bristol show.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This last photo is the final Brewery building. The DAS is still drying and need sanding down before I try to do more bricks.

It is starting to come together a bit now.

Dougal.

That's a steep gradient for that 04 to cope with there Father !?

It's loosely based on the Kof III. I'd leave it as-is and have it as a semi-free-lanced locomotive. The pancake motor will run well. As for slow-speed control, this may be another issue.

I will re-motor at some point, but for now that can go on to do list. I think some extra weight should improve running further until I get around to the upgrade.

Redgate models was right, just don't tell him.

• RMweb Gold

Redgate models was right, just don't tell him.

I always knew ;)

You may find that a PWM controller makes all the difference. A friend of mine put a DCC chip inside one and it turned into a surprisingly good runner.

Oh yes, and a stay alive capacitor pack - plenty of room for a pair of hefty ones

post-6717-0-47951900-1391773013_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, especially with short wheelbase 0-4-0s. On my Ivor the Engine build I tried a Bachmann 3 function decoder which was rubbish,changed for a Lenz Standard (old one not a Plus) with two reasonable capacitors and he was transformed - unstoppable over my home built trackwork. It will be interesting to compare Ivor with my Pug at the Mansfield Show as they have the same motor and decoder,but the Pug has no capacitors. The Sentinel with the Lima drive unit will crawl along on speed step 1 no problems :)

Another instalment of poor quality photos.

Someone has dumped a rusty old car by the grass verge.

post-18380-0-01279300-1392569514_thumb.jpg

The hardstanding beside the verge is coming along nicely. Not sure if the little shed will stay.

post-18380-0-46609300-1392569527_thumb.jpg

I have been performing surgery on the shunter.

post-18380-0-55747900-1392569537_thumb.jpg

The grills and handrail knobs are fitted, plus a little roof detail.

The chassis with a bit of extra weight.

post-18380-0-85985400-1392569552_thumb.jpg

This has helped with speed performance, but it obviously needs much more weight. On the plus side, there is loads of room left.

post-18380-0-51349300-1392569587_thumb.jpg

Running quality is not a problem for my little saddle tank. Here it is shunting a few wagons by the loading bay.

And finally, a shot of an open wagon.

post-18380-0-18607300-1392569571_thumb.jpg

Rumour has it the barrels are full of anti-freeze to give Father Jack's Beer a bit of a kick.

Dougal.

• RMweb Gold

More photo's!

I have re sculpted the area by the bridge support at the front of the layout. I experimented using cobblestones, but they were just awful. I have now sculpted paving slabs.

Can't believe how I missed this - where did you get the hiker figures from?

• RMweb Gold

Ah - there has to be room for a grade II religious relic somewhere on this!

As for that open - empty to Stanton Gate or Ilkeston - is there a secret distillery in Nottinghamshire supplying Father Jack perhaps?

Phil

I always knew ;)

Oh yes, and a stay alive capacitor pack - plenty of room for a pair of hefty ones

attachicon.gifDSC01491.jpg

Interested in "stay alive" capacitors

I have a stay alive decoder & capacitor installed in one loco

But I was wondering whether the capacitor needs to be used with a specific decoder

Or can you use the capacitor with any other decoder?

i.e. I've got a sound-chip fitted to a loco

and I'd like to fit a stay alive capacitor - but can I just add the capacitor

Or could it do the chip some harm?

Layout looking good there Dougal

Time for a quick update.

post-18380-0-43011000-1393072289_thumb.jpg

This is the platform for Mrs Doyle's tea emporium. Still work in progress at the moment. The height is spot on. I have been running a variety of stock to check that there is adequate clearence.

post-18380-0-09556600-1393072302_thumb.jpg

This is an old provender store. It needs lots of restoration and TLC.

post-18380-0-03791700-1393072314_thumb.jpg

Work is also underway on the first bridge support and road way. The bridge support will be clad with brick embossed plasticard.

Dougal.

Time for a quick update.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the platform for Mrs Doyle's tea emporium. Still work in progress at the moment. The height is spot on. I have been running a variety of stock to check that there is adequate clearence.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is an old provender store. It needs lots of restoration and TLC.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Work is also underway on the first bridge support and road way. The bridge support will be clad with brick embossed plasticard.

Dougal.

Don't overdo the restoration of the provender store. It's almost convincing as it is. 

Another instalment of poor quality photos.

Someone has dumped a rusty old car by the grass verge.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The hardstanding beside the verge is coming along nicely. Not sure if the little shed will stay.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have been performing surgery on the shunter.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The grills and handrail knobs are fitted, plus a little roof detail.

The chassis with a bit of extra weight.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This has helped with speed performance, but it obviously needs much more weight. On the plus side, there is loads of room left.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Running quality is not a problem for my little saddle tank. Here it is shunting a few wagons by the loading bay.

And finally, a shot of an open wagon.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Rumour has it the barrels are full of anti-freeze to give Father Jack's Beer a bit of a kick.

Dougal.

Is that a dint in that bonnet of that abandoned Car ? may be if you had an hammer you could just tap it out a little ? On a serious note I think the hardstanding / Paving is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been tinkering with the Brewery buildings. I didn't feel entirely happy with them, then I had the idea of cladding the buildings in 'wriggly Tin'. I think I was inspired by the excellent Dock Green.

Here is the stone building with a partial cladding of corrugated Iron sheets.

post-18380-0-93692900-1394298066_thumb.jpg

The colours are only base coats at present. The Iron will be a bit rusty before long. Each sheet is individually cut, glued and pinned.post-18380-0-60358400-1394298078_thumb.jpg

This is the old brick structure. I never felt that I had got the brick etching right, or the windows. The cladding looks better! Obviously not finished yet.

post-18380-0-25307100-1394298093_thumb.jpg

I have started to fit paving around the base of the Brewery and inside the track.

post-18380-0-87369000-1394298108_thumb.jpg

Here is part of the factory that will form the Backscene.

post-18380-0-69414000-1394298125_thumb.jpg

It will form part of a cement works eventually. I have changed my mind about having a station at the back. I felt that a freight only layout would be better.

I have been browsing images of rail served cement works and as a result Mrs Doyle is out buying Pringles (I need the tubes).

The bridge supports are almost done. The track here is not all fitted, but placed to check clearances.

post-18380-0-45905300-1394298745_thumb.jpg

Dougal.

• 2 weeks later...

post-18380-0-51297100-1395593295_thumb.jpg

I quite like this shot, it shows the wharf area quite well.

post-18380-0-40819900-1395593309_thumb.jpg

post-18380-0-32913900-1395593319_thumb.jpg

The brewery building is now looking much better- guttering has been added and several of the iron sheets have been randomly picked out in different shades of grey.

post-18380-0-57771700-1395593329_thumb.jpg

The Brewery loading bay has also been updated. The canopy is a replacement. The loose, uneven and wonky sheets are deliberate. There is also a hole in the canopy, but you can't see it from this shot.

The coal wagons are in the siding, because I like them.

Dougal.

Archived