Crilly Street. Class 08 diesel.

Father Dougal

The cortina will have a naked camper spread across the bonnet I hope.

Any room for 'Fun Land'? Or at least a settee on a forklift?

That us not a bad idea. I might be able to squeeze a mini fun land by the Tea emporium.

On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know of anyone who can make Aluminium cassettes for my fiddle yard. ?

I have thought about dispensing with one end of the run around loop and using cassettes instead.

I dare not even attempting to build these myself- I know my limits.

Dougal.

After seeing your detailed diesels I refuse to believe that you can't stick two lengths of ally to a length of ply.  The hardest bit will be cutting the ply in a straight line but the wood merchant should be able to do that for you.  A couple of 2 inch long bits screwed to your board end and two bulldog clips for the power and you'll be ready for mass.

A club round these parts bolts a short loop of parcel tape (the thick plastic stuff that is bonded around goods on a pallet and photocopier paper) around an inch from each end.  This is folded down to act as a buffer stop when the cassette is removed from the track.

If you're really stuck I'll do it for you but I'm probably too far away to collect easily.

The layout plan sounds great BTW :)

• RMweb Gold

That us not a bad idea. I might be able to squeeze a mini fun land by the Tea emporium.

On a completely unrelated topic, does anyone know of anyone who can make Aluminium cassettes for my fiddle yard. ?

I have thought about dispensing with one end of the run around loop and using cassettes instead.

I dare not even attempting to build these myself- I know my limits.

Dougal.

Quick google found this http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/fiddle_yard_cassettes.htm

They don't look cheap and I haven't tried them so you will need to make your own judgement

Quick google found this http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/fiddle_yard_cassettes.htm

They don't look cheap and I haven't tried them so you will need to make your own judgement

Thanks mate, just what I am looking for- but they appear to only do 32mm according to their site. Not sure what that means! I have sent an email to see if they produce a few for me.

Dougal.

After seeing your detailed diesels I refuse to believe that you can't stick two lengths of ally to a length of ply.  The hardest bit will be cutting the ply in a straight line but the wood merchant should be able to do that for you.  A couple of 2 inch long bits screwed to your board end and two bulldog clips for the power and you'll be ready for mass.

A club round these parts bolts a short loop of parcel tape (the thick plastic stuff that is bonded around goods on a pallet and photocopier paper) around an inch from each end.  This is folded down to act as a buffer stop when the cassette is removed from the track.

If you're really stuck I'll do it for you but I'm probably too far away to collect easily.

The layout plan sounds great BTW :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I am still probably going to wimp out and get someone to make me a few and then I can concentrate on the fun stuff like buildings and more rolling stock.

....except for UHT milk.....but there's no demand for that 'cos it's sh*te.

Thanks, that fits right into my time scale and it's only £8.00! Bargain.

The comment made by Hesperus has got me thinking about making my own cassettes.

The main obstacle for me is consistently cutting straight pieces of wood.

But, I am using some really thick balsa wood (about 0.75 cm) to form a small dock area by the brewery. This appears to be really rigid, especially once braced.

I could form a 3 sided box with this and fix a piece of set track to the base.

Electrical connecting could be via a pair of bulldog clips or similar.

I think I might try a few experiments. I'm not sure if this structure can hold a loco. Best test with a small rake of wagons first.

Dougal.

I think I might try a few experiments. I'm not sure if this structure can hold a loco. Best test with a small rake of wagons first.

O guage locos tend to be heavy and it hurts the wallet if you drop them ...

The plan looks good,

but I hope you can find space for a large advertising hoarding

displaying the large poster of Father Ted, kicking Bishop Brennan up the @r$e!

(my fave episode BTW)

I have found some nice images on Doogle that would make decent advertisements - this one is definately going to be used.

post-18380-0-60269400-1381769307.jpg

Dougal.

I have been looking at a Aluminium angle, not the most exciting task. I think I might as well try making the cassettes properly and use aluminium sides. Wickes supply the angle at a decent price (other DIY stores are available).

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/162679/Aluminium-Angle-25x25x2400mm_large.jpg

I am off for half term, so I think I will build some then. I hope Wickes will cut the angle for me, If not I will have to buy a decent hack saw.

Thanks to Colin for sending me an article about building the cassettes.

Dougal.

Archived