Layout Track Plans in Exhibition Programmes

s182ggu

• RMweb Premium

Just in the process of typeseting the guide for Wakefield.  Colour photos of each layout but not a track plan in sight.   I've used 14 pt type as more and more of our visitors have now got the same colour hair as me, thus there isn't room for any plans but I only got 12 out of 19 and only a few of them were usable..  Perhaps I should have it printed on yellow paper which is apparently easier for older eyes to read from.

Jamie

there isn't room for any plans but I only got 12 out of 19 and only a few of them were usable.

I still fail to see why photographs are included in priority above the track plan. Especially as the photos might well be posed and retouched beyond what will be visible to the punter.

So despite 12 of the 19 going to the effort of supplying track plans you decide that they are all not worth finding space for. Is it any wonder that layout owners don't seem to bother. Then we are left paying for a guide that is vacuous of content. Even 1/19 layouts with plans is better than 0/19. I'd like to thank those that did go to that effort.

I wasn't going to Wakefield - it is simply too far - but would have supported the show if I had been nearer and able to. I have seen good reviews. Thanks for the heads up for another guide that is not worth purchasing IMO, nice to be given that information up front.

• RMweb Gold

No exhibition is to far!

How far from Wokingham do you travel to exhibitions?

Well I don't live all that far from Wokingham as the crow flies - and it's only just into double figures by Google maps road mileage - and I'm aiming for the Stafford show in January weather permitting as there's a good direct train service from Reading (I don't live there either, but it's not far from me) and I shall take the exhibition guide as it comes which hopefully means information about the layouts. If I want any track plans (unlikely but you never know) I shall ask if it's ok to take photos or for handouts although overall layout dimensions might be useful.

The only question mark in my mind is whether I will look beyond BCB to see what else 'the north' has on offer ;)

after 2 weeks of selling poppies , attending the remembrance service and attending my local war memorial yesterday, I reinforced my belief that there is more to life than a track plan: in a show guide. This is a hobby, not a matter of life and death, I just keep reading the same thing over and over, no wonder some on here have an unbelievable number of posts.( not aimed at you stationmaster :-))

As one of my friends posted on the Wycrail thread when this started " go out and get a life"

No exhibition is to far!

How far from Wokingham do you travel to exhibitions?

It has more to do with ease of travel by car and ability to get there within 2hrs. I finish work at 08:30 so back home freshen up (or I'll be in real trouble ;) and "breakfast" usually means I can get to a show by 11:00. After 2-3hrs on my feet tired and a return journey - it is starting to get late.

The alternative is to get SWMBO interested in the locality, booking time off, and making a weekend break of it. We have done that for quite a few shows Glasgow, York, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol but they are usually the big shows. I'm not sure Wakefield is in their league.

There are enough shows within reach to enable me to get to 20 odd a year (though some annoyingly clash with each other) ... there is a limit to available time that I would want to spend at shows regardless of how good they are.

I never use public transport if I can help it.

Edit. just to say that Stafford is just do-able ... but the weather usually is the killer - something that no one has control over. January and February are always going to limit things further. When there is snow on the ground locally it is difficult enough to get out of the drive-way let alone reach the motorway. I sometimes wonder why shows are scheduled for these months and how the layouts and traders ever travel to them. Yet in the weather suitable months of July and August there seem to be so few shows on the calendar.

• RMweb Premium

It has more to do with ease of travel by car and ability to get there within 2hrs. I finish work at 08:30 so back home freshen up (or I'll be in real trouble ;) and "breakfast" usually means I can get to a show by 11:00. After 2-3hrs on my feet tired and a return journey - it is starting to get late.

The alternative is to get SWMBO interested in the locality, booking time off, and making a weekend break of it. We have done that for quite a few shows Glasgow, York, Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol but they are usually the big shows. I'm not sure Wakefield is in their league.

There are enough shows within reach to enable me to get to 20 odd a year (though some annoyingly clash with each other) ... there is a limit to available time that I would want to spend at shows regardless of how good they are.

I never use public transport if I can help it.

Edit. just to say that Stafford is just do-able ... but the weather usually is the killer - something that no one has control over. January and February are always going to limit things further. When there is snow on the ground locally it is difficult enough to get out of the drive-way let alone reach the motorway. I sometimes wonder why shows are scheduled for these months and how the layouts and traders ever travel to them. Yet in the weather suitable months of July and August there seem to be so few shows on the calendar.

Having just read your latest post re exhibitions in July & August you seem also to have no commercial awarness in how a exhibitions survive in the market place.

Exhibitions in July & August are commercial suicide for model railway exhibitions in fact any non related summer type exhibitions

Sorry what has it got to do with SWMBO sorry are you a man or a mouse.

If you want to go somewhere do it.......

So what's the wrong in using public transport!.

Eltel

This is now getting personal and off the original topic, so it's getting locked.  If anyone has anything new and constructive to say about the original subject let us know and unlocking will be considered.

Archived