Layout Track Plans in Exhibition Programmes

s182ggu

Very Simple... it wasn't (I assume) the same layouts being described in the 2013 guide as in the 2011 guide (if it was then you would have something legitimate to moan about!!!).

Note in the post above at least one was in a previous guide (at another show) and I can give examples of at least 2 others that have appeared in other show guides. Of course the real answer to that would be for all of the layout owners to come on here and state if they submitted one, or were asked for one. Something very unlikely to happen. I am also aware of two of the layouts being on RMWeb, so with published track plans. So we can conclude that at least some of them exist. I hope we can assume that if asked for they were submitted.

If you want a very intuitive planning software that is easy to use try ANYRAIL.  It also has a free option which is limited to 50 pieces items which for my plank drawings is plenty for me.
It is also backed up by a very quick and helpful customer support system.
I would think this would allow most "Guide put togetherers" to quickly do a basic plan.  It can be drawn in TRACK - SLEEPERS or CENTERLINE formats.
I'm not sure how the publishing of track plans for gain would go but it might be worth investigating and asking the owner the question.

It really is very quick to lay down a layout plan and very intuitive to use.

Here's the link.
http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

No connection other than a VERY satisfied user.

Regards

If you want a very intuitive planning software that is easy to use try ANYRAIL.  It also has a free option which is limited to 50 pieces items which for my plank drawings is plenty for me.

It is also backed up by a very quick and helpful customer support system.

I would think this would allow most "Guide put togetherers" to quickly do a basic plan.  It can be drawn in TRACK - SLEEPERS or CENTERLINE formats.

I'm not sure how the publishing of track plans for gain would go but it might be worth investigating and asking the owner the question.

It really is very quick to lay down a layout plan and very intuitive to use.

Here's the link.

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

No connection other than a VERY satisfied user.

Regards

I believe you. Alas, it only seems to work on Windows machines.

Paul

A suggestion to exhibition organisers.

A guide as to you want, i.e. amount of text (word count), trackplan (format) and photos (format, file size) would help those that are happy to provide it. I never know if I should send text as Word, rtf or a pdf. Are jpegs,  tiffs or w.h.y. required? If you can include that information on the layout invitation form, then it may help prompt a better response. 

• RMweb Premium

Note in the post above at least one was in a previous guide (at another show) and I can give examples of at least 2 others that have appeared in other show guides. Of course the real answer to that would be for all of the layout owners to come on here and state if they submitted one, or were asked for one. Something very unlikely to happen. I am also aware of two of the layouts being on RMWeb, so with published track plans. So we can conclude that at least some of them exist. I hope we can assume that if asked for they were submitted.

May be blinding obvious, but why don't you contact Wycrail and ask them the reason for less track plans this year

Instead of harping on and on and on

Eltel

Instead of harping on and on and on

The original comment was raised in the other thread - I was not the one to bring it over here - it should have stayed there and had a quick explanation - I still don't really know why this topic was started as a separate one other than to boil the water.

Of course if people like yourself keep shaking a red rag here I'll continue to respond. Especially when posed as a direct question.

I see we are now on page 6 and the OP has not returned to the carnage he started with the OP. What was exactly the point of asking the question in the first place?

Oh, and let's get the facts right. Not "LESS" plans, it was NO plans at all. But was, until some went into a attack mode, only a trivial issue. Such a small comment on a great show. I don't know why it has been blown out of all proportion and why some, it seems, object to such small criticism.

• RMweb Premium

instead of saying harping on why not just answer the question? ;) its not that hard is it

I am not really sure the point of your question.

I have nothing to do with the Wyrail exhibition so I can not answer the question.

My point was, and still is a exhibition manager (Stafford) of over 20 years we always printed the layout track plans if the exhibitors gave us the information.

If they are not submitted or of poor quality then no plan simple

All the exhibition managers who have posted on this topic have said the same thing.

Eltel

I have had an idea for new publication. It will be called, "The Trainwest Book of Track Plans."

I reckon I might sell a few at, say, £5 each.

Geoff Endacott

I'll buy one ;)

Is that the price of the next Trainwest show guide :D

As I was the one to open this thread, it is now time that I should comment on the responses posted by others.

In the Wycrail ’13 Exhibition thread, you, amongst others, posted some very complimentary comments about the show, Kenton - and for these I thank you. In your own individual style, you also made one other less positive comment about the lack of track diagrams in the show programme. This was seen by a couple of my club colleagues and I as a bit disingenuous and I started off this thread as a result. Kenton, I admit that the content of my opening post was somewhat ‘goading’  and I hope that you will accept my apology for this, however I fully understand if you do not feel that way inclined.

As you quite rightly point out, 2011 was the last year that we held the show at its old location and this was also the last year that we included track diagrams in the programme. As many here will know, Wycrail changed location in 2012, resulting in an increase in the number of exhibiting layouts of circa. 50%. A conscious decision was taken to leave track plans out of the programme as the increased content would have pushed the price beyond our target price of 50p per copy. In order to contain costs for this year’s show and to keep prices at what we deemed to be an acceptable level, we deliberately held these costs down again, using the same method.

We will be reviewing all aspects of the show, in the near future, as part of the planning process for 2014 and the content, and pricing of the programme will be part of this planning.

In summary, thanks to all for their input both here and on the Wycrail’13 Exhibition thread – your comments and suggestions are well received and they  will aid us to ensure that Wycrail 2014 does take ‘another step forward’.

(If the owners of any of those layouts already booked for Wycrail ’14 are reading this, then you have some advance warning, as a result of the above 7 pages!)

s182ggu, thank you for returning to this topic to answer my question.

I did suspect it was a concious decision to exclude track plans. I couldn't find my2012 show guide and was beginning to conclude that I had put it straight in the bin for the same reason.

As I keep reiterating - it was only a minor complaint but one still worth the mention I believe. I do believe most of the bigger shows contain track plans in their guides and some of those who do also seem to make a profit. Perhaps there should be some forum among show guide editors in how to squeeze every last bit of profit out of them and share tips on production/advertising/content/etc ?

I look forward to swelling the numbers at Wycrail 14 (show guide or not) despite any suggestion to the contrary it is friendly and worthwhile show.

For 2014 ... for the show guide, please include track plans and put the price up to £1.00 if you have too; also, for the choice of layouts, can there be more finescale please.Regards

Layouts for 2014 are already probably booked, most successful exhibition managers are now booking for 2015 at the earliest.

• RMweb Gold

The new folder that we now put on top of the fiddle yard on Smrzovka contains photos, extract of the real timbletable and a track plan for any one who wishes to understand the track plan. Its the fiddleyard bit that will probably be of more interest . Not all of this can be seen from the viewing side.

Our other layouts will also get this treatment in due course.

ian

Archived