RCD vans

Didn't one of the Standards marry into the Handful family?

You're thinking of the Chesty, she was Chesty Standard, and became Chesty Handful when she married Ivor. Her sister in law was Hample until she married Roger Hooters. Who in turn was Hugh G Recksun's best man.

Edited by Merc435

I think you are confusing Chesty Standard with her twin Morthanna who married Ivor, her bridesmaid was Flo Tinnit. Morthanna first met Ivor in a pub when he told her that he worked on warships. Thinking that she had met a naval man and looking forward to seeing his 'golden rivet' she immediately fell in love. It wasnt until he took her on a trip to Plymouth that she discovered the truth. Telling her that she was going to meet his old class of 52 he took her to a bungalow overlooking Laira. He wanted to show her his photos of western sunsets. When she saw his hydraulics she was impressed.

I believe she is now living near the City of Wells, with her second husband, an ex fighter pilot named Basher Robert Standard (or B.R. for short), and the family has taken his name, including the children.

I've just been informed that Growler and Basher have had a third child-Giesel

Edited by 69843

Giesel, how could I forget Giesel. She won the Skegness Apple dooking championship in 1985. She could strip a webber carburettor blindfolded, with one hand tied behind her back using a swiss army knife with no screwdriver fitting, in under 20 minutes(She couldn't flippin rebuild the thing though!)

I met her once in Dawlish where she had a job on the track gang who were ballasting behind the sea wall. She sold a couple of barrels of PVA to the local window makers, that the gang were using to fix down the ballast on the Cornish mainline(Not sure if anything ever came of the lack of PVA in the ballast down there?). 

I heard in a Weight lifting contest in Swansea, she managed to down 4 bottles of blue food colouring and gave a very odd sample to the drug tester.

Sulzer, (nicknamed, Sue), did go to sea with the Merchant Navy but came back married to a Westcountry Ho called Westward!

They are now living on his pension in ex-married quarters maisonettes in Crewkerne.

I came across (metaphorically speaking) the Westward Ho today and according to the local news she felt the earth move.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we should get back to discussing the truly inspirational story of the RCV and associated vehicles of the Engineers' Dept? I have enjoyed reading about this disfunctional family but it reminds me too much of the trials and tribulations of some of the characters on RMWeb.

So, to get back to business, was the the front line of RCV stock put into storage once rivetless tenders  became common?

Also, is the story correct that an RCV actually had to self destruct when it encountered a Bulleid Air Smoothed Pacific at Brighton in 1948?

S. Tanier 

I'm hearing rumours that the next development in this technology, the Weld Counter van, is under construction at Eastleigh. This has the added bonus of a padded cell for any pickups deemed necessary to the sanity of the hobby.

Maybe we should get back to discussing the truly inspirational story of the RCV and associated vehicles of the Engineers' Dept? I have enjoyed reading about this disfunctional family but it reminds me too much of the trials and tribulations of some of the characters on RMWeb.

So, to get back to business, was the the front line of RCV stock put into storage once rivetless tenders  became common?

Also, is the story correct that an RCV actually had to self destruct when it encountered a Bulleid Air Smoothed Pacific at Brighton in 1948?

S. Tanier 

I believe this happened when it encountered  34023 Blackmore Vale in 1950 as no-one had reset it for the name change.

• RMweb Premium

I believe this happened when it encountered  34023 Blackmore Vale in 1950 as no-one had reset it for the name change.

Oh of course 1950. Incidentally, the original 'mistake' with this Spam's name was Blackamoore Vale; this is according to Wick a Peidiot.

However I suppose it was a good job it had not been darn sarth earlier and come across the Packets. Probably the war meant it was kept in the East Midlands for safety purposes.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

When I saw a train containing a RCV I'm sure it had in it's consist a shocvan or two.

I assume these shocvans were for treating those who were found to be suffering from "Griceritis"

What I would like to know is how the current for the shocvan was supplied? Was there a dynamo as on passenger vehicles?

Or did they have an accompanying battery van. (I didn't manage to see all of the train but put the numbers in my notebook anyway after seeing someone else's cops.)

I believe there were two types of battery van classified by the GWR as PP3 and PP9. Could there been one of these in the consist as well, or maybe an ex-LNER van (type 9V?)?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

It was rumoured BR were at one time developing a self-contained self-propelled vehicle code named SCOURGE which would eliminated the need for many of the seperate vehicles.

For those who haven't heard of this project the acronym stands for Self COntained Undesirable Gricer Removal Equipment.

Apparantly somebody at BR couldn't spell!.

It was to be been usually driven by a Shed Foreman.

(The telegraphic code was to be F-Off)

Keith

EDIT it was fitted with scoops to gather up sandwiches, school caps, and dropped Ian Allan combines.

Correction to description (my memory is obviously failing)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

There was apparantly one specifically for use on Merseyside as well

Self COntainer Undesirable Spotter Eliminator and Remover

(SCOUSER for short)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I noted today at Modelrail Scotland that an RCD van would of proved useless as the regularity of rivet counters was so high, calibration would of been impossible.

What happens if you use them in pairs? Doesn't that improve the accuracy?

If you have one each end of the train they could use their antennae in tandem to improve sensitivity.

Like these at use in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array

Bigger then everyone else's of course.

It's been dressed up as some sort of spacey thing (for funding reasons!), but if you look closely they are actualy on rail tracks so they can follow the Rivet Counters from state to state.

Keith

EDIT rumour has it that the NSA were using this equipment to monitor rivet counters in the UK

(information courtesy of Edward Snowden © The Grauniad)

Edited by melmerby

I noted today at Modelrail Scotland that an RCD van would of proved useless as the regularity of rivet counters was so high, calibration would of been impossible.

A challenge! Why would a RCD van have proved useless? Yes; it has not yet been tested on the Scottish Region but I believe it would be up to the task. It’s not as if the area is independent of the rest of BR is it? The vehicle is fitted with roller bearings and is therefore 99.7% efficient.

However, let me just test the maths if you could fill in the figures for me please.

Total attendance at Exhibition  X .93 density per cubic yard of rivet counters in Scotland

1961

That will give me a figure I can use, The RCD van is fitted with an on board Commadore 16 computer so within the week I can confirm.

• Like 1

I'm sorry Ronnie, it wasn't the amount of rivet counters, it was the frequency of them. The RCD would have been difficult to calibrate as gaining a low RC reading would of been very rare(Especially on the Friday). Although you may of had more luck on the layout at the bottom of the hall where Mallard and Evening Star were double heading and trundling around at a scale 180MPH.

I've done a quick count and noted aboot 15 people over the doors on the weekend(It may have been more, but I wasn't there on the Sunday), Multiply that by Alex Salmond and you have a figure who doesn't mean much. Divide by chopping with a shape knife, cleaver or Axe. You should come up with the number 42. Because of the temperature difference up here, you would of course need to used Pi to allow for the calculation to offset the cold air, therefore warming up the belly(I find a Partick Thistle Pie best). 

I used to have a Commodore 16, but it developed a virus and had to be put down.(Man flu I think)

Edited by Merc435