RCD vans

The energy contained in such a coil is quite considerable and utmost care is needed to secure them correctly.

Bernard

Bernard

This is wonderful information on how to restrain "wind up" energy.

Is there an UB filter on the underframe?

P

Yes: utilising an Aha pannier tank to A2/2 conversion kit and some .007 wire Norman replicated this exactly. Fidelity to prototype is essential

Edited by RonnieS

how to restrain "wind up" energy.

If I saw an unrestrained steel coil coming towards me, I'd certainly get the wind up!

If I may be excused a continuation of the more serious direction this seems to be taking, I thought steel chains on steel loads would slip and timber packing was used to introduce more friction?

Hi ron

Shall I reveal all?

I am very happy to reveal that the builder of these beautifully made but non-authentic vehicles is Norman Turner, Chairman of Wolverhampton Model Railway Club, whom I have been privileged to know for more than 25 years.

Terry D

late of Wolverhampton.

I am going to have to say this before this thread gets pinned, nailed or riveted as can’t be very far away.

Norman Turner is a fantastic modeller and a nice chap. He built the baseboards for Tony Wright’s Stoke Summit and many other top drawer layouts.

His wagons are admired and envied by many as they grace Stoke Summit et al. They complete the scene. A “spot on” loco on “spot on” train is the subject of many a Tony Wright picture.

Unlike Picasso (who went off on a tangent after his art reached perfection). Norman built this train as a diversion.  Have a laugh but admire the skill.

There is a road vehicle RDV on Idleford (BNNRS) 7mm layout. I think they have copied the idea from the RCDS (Rivet Counter Detection Society) fanzine. I am sure they (the RCDS) would appreciate an article on this RDV submitted for publication. I'd buy a copy; I might even join the Society.

P

Dear Mallard60022 

I know this must have slipped your mind (can't be easy to remember thing when you rush about at 125.88 mph) but you were going to post some information and a contact address on a ten pound note. By way of encouragement I will send you (completely FOC a Q kits class 40 with your receipt.

I remain your obedient servant

Ronnie S

Mr Ronnie S

B.Ed

T.Eng

City and Guilds IS

City and Guilds Mec

And a few O levels

If I saw an unrestrained steel coil coming towards me, I'd certainly get the wind up!

If I may be excused a continuation of the more serious direction this seems to be taking, I thought steel chains on steel loads would slip and timber packing was used to introduce more friction?

Correct.

Conversation at work one day.

FLT driver to production manager   "I have just dropped a 12t coil"

Reply  "Any body injured"

"No"

"That's good, just clear things up"

"I can't"

"Why not?"

"Because the coil is in the next door car park"

Narrow coil could be placed against  a head board with suitable reinforcing with 100 x 75 battens inserted between every two or three coils. This was then chained. Any movement would be taken up when the wood shattered.

We used to store wide coil (around 1000 wide) on stands made out of two lengths of old rail welded to 100 x 100 angle. They held things pretty solid and if the bands broke the rails would stop the coil from unwinding.

Bernard

I am sure this picture of the Dorado shows a common method of loading a cylindrical load. A "cradle" and securing chains. The cradle here is fabricated from steel sections but wood was more common. It's rather like a cable clip in a way; the "cradle" holds the load and the chain or rope just nips it. As I said earlier my “hands on" experience was limited to my apprenticeship where the Steelworks had not only a loco shed Sarah/William/Elizabeth/Anne Elizabeth, BSC Bilston Steelworks 28/2/1978  but a wagon repair department. Here, in addition to repairing wagons, blocks of timber were shaped into cradles to assist in holding loads. The “bite” mentioned earlier pushed the load into the cradle. Loads that were roped had the rope double looped. Tension was applied by inserting a piece of wood between the 2 loops and twisting. When no more pressure could be applied the wood was nailed to the cradle. Highly technical!

post-15321-0-37055800-1384376445_thumb.jpg

If you are “into” loads I rate British Railways Wagons: Pt. 1: Their Loads and Loading

Edited by RonnieS

I'm sure that Dorado wagon should have more spring leaves than it does....

Thank you Tony. It proves the "flying Pig" detector works as it has detected some superb examples here The Derby Line, 7mm rolling stock, MOK Ivatt 4

And now; a chance to win a wonderful prize! Spot the differences between the RCD vans below

post-15321-0-60595400-1384507092_thumb.jpgpost-15321-0-96278300-1384507117_thumb.jpg

Just write your answer on the back of a signed, blank cheque and send to me at the address at the foot of this page and you could win

ü  An unbuilt Q kits class 40

ü  A Woolworths voucher for 5 Airfix kits

ü  A Poundshop “Big Book of Trains”

ü  100 Major Manufacturer brand wagon wheels – These are vari-guage they constantly adjust from 13 to 15 mm back to back.

ü  Box of 231 plastic buffers

ü  An autographed Tony Wright Coach book (worth £1)

ü  An non autographed Tony Wright Coach book (worth £20)

ü  1000 tension lock couplings (slight xuron marks)

Edited by RonnieS

I've just noticed that the RCD van has reference to EM and P4 but not to OO. Looking at the criticism and second guessing on the latest frothing topics for new RTR products, then this detector vehicle is not well designed/specified. Perhaps it was a joint product of the Derby and Swindon design offices.

• Like 1

I've just noticed that the RCD van has reference to EM and P4 but not to OO. Looking at the criticism and second guessing on the latest frothing topics for new RTR products, then this detector vehicle is not well designed/specified. Perhaps it was a joint product of the Derby and Swindon design offices.

I would assume that only EM and P4 modellers would be interested in such esoteric matters. The brains behind the idea probably never thought of catering for the plebs.

Bernard

I've just noticed that the RCD van has reference to EM and P4 but not to OO. The markings on such vehicles is a complex area. In the book  CIVIL ENGINEERS WAGONS  Dave Larkin notes (p3) that Ew is Western allocated,  Ee is Eastern allocated, Es is Southern allocated and Em is Midland allocated (the return to LMR confirms this). Unsure of "P4" but a brake van (plate 16) in G Gambles CATTLE AND BRAKE VANS is marked R.U.4. Equally unsure of "00" but "0^ is the branding for open wagons.

Perhaps it was a joint product of the Derby and Swindon design offices. It was not uncommon for vehicles to be designed at one area and built in another. Such a vehicle is illustrated in G Gambles NON PASSENGER ROLLING STOCK (plate 77). It is a 12t horse box HB built at BR's Earlestown Works to LNER dia 9. W2486E. Designed on the Eastern, Built on the LM (ex ...........well you know!) and allocated to the Western.

• Like 1

The Branding on this vehicle should be  Bull S   as is well documented all PWs were named for aquatic creatures.

All Em vehicles of this type were either Dolphin S or Bull S. Enclosed pic shows the subtle differences between a Dolphin S and a Bull S.

post-17179-0-44350100-1384598476.png

• Like 1

The Branding on this vehicle should be  Bull S   as is well documented all PWs were named for aquatic creatures.

All Em vehicles of this type were either Dolphin S or Bull S. Enclosed pic shows the subtle differences between a Dolphin S and a Bull S.

attachicon.gif44.png

Other sources claim it is not a  TUNA   but a   KRACKEN  and just as all fish fingers are not branded    BIRDS EYE the model is accurate. A picture on p17 of STEAM HAULED SIX WHEELED SAUSAGE VANS AROUND STAFFORDSHIRE IN  THE SIXTIES shows an unbranded “Kraken” sandwiched between a crimson  B R dia 251 meat van and an ex Highland Railway meat van.

Edited by RonnieS

• RMweb Premium

Any readers of this topic who are going to Warley show next weekend might want to have a look at 'Gillan & Brown', the 0 gauge industrial layout by Romiley Methodist Railway modellers. There is rumored to be a large snake which lives near where a gnome is fishing, although us operators have never seen it. While there, I suggest you ask about the works cat, the ??? in Dora's cafe and the shock van.

The layout also has an extensive range of 'loads of rubbish' which determine the consists of the trains. Hope they are properly secured to their waggons! See you there?

Any readers of this topic who are going to Warley show next weekend might want to have a look at 'Gillan & Brown', the 0 gauge industrial layout by Romiley Methodist Railway modellers. There is rumored to be a large snake which lives near where a gnome is fishing, although us operators have never seen it. While there, I suggest you ask about the works cat, the ??? in Dora's cafe and the shock van.

The layout also has an extensive range of 'loads of rubbish' which determine the consists of the trains. Hope they are properly secured to their waggons! 

Wagon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could you please refrain from entering the fantasy world and keep this thread for the serious issue of the RCD vans, 

• Like 1

The layout also has an extensive range of 'loads of rubbish' which determine the consists of the trains. Hope they are properly secured to their waggons! See you there?

I  shall not be attending Warley this year but thanks for the invitation.  In the words of the late, great Dudley Moore now is the time to say goodbye (to this thread).

I am going to ask Andy to pin it (or if he can; apply  RIVETED)

It is no longer riveting. It is dead, deceased...........oh; Clees does it better.

Thanks again to Norman  (see post 462 Wright writes.) and Wolverhampton Club whose Motonhampstead will feature in a gallery here.

It is hoped some Tony Wright pictures will appear here - any thing is possible with rmweb.

I am going to ask Andy to pin it (or if he can; apply  RIVETED)

Rather than pin it, which is normally reserved for admin related topics, I've added it to the Featured Content slider on the index page.

• Like 5

Just to set of the van's dectection system guys, there looks to be a subtle difference in the breaks between A and B however, that could be the angle of the picture, however, I have to say I LOVE the concept of the Rivet counter van...

What is the vehicle on the well wagon please?

Sean

Just to set of the van's dectection system guys, there looks to be a subtle difference in the breaks between A and B however, that could be the angle of the picture, however, I have to say I LOVE the concept of the Rivet counter van...Not the Brakes - However a Q Kits class 40 could still be yours!

What is the vehicle on the well wagon please? This is a Cell truck; it houses the battery for the RCD van. It is a dia BR 1/208, lot 2181 body. with a modified end.

Sean