RCD vans

.Not the Brakes - However a Q Kits class 40 could still be yours!

the other thing that comes to mind is the detector dish is pointing in different directions, so maybe, just maybe, a rivit counter entered the room during the taking of the photos?

=This is a Cell truck; it houses the battery for the RCD van. It is a dia BR 1/208, lot 2181 body. with a modified end.

Coo, I quite like the idea throughout ;)

Sean...

P.S. please pass my admaration to the builder please :)

We have RCD and the Anorak Van.

Didn't BR also convert a tank wagon to suck up all the bad odour from certain persons in the trainspotting and exhibition fraternity?

I'm sure I saw one of these parked at the end of platform six at a certain Birmingham station in the early 1970's.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

I must question the packing and chaining for this rivet

Well said Sir

In Patform Accidents by Eileen Dover the aurthor states that following the 1961 accdent at Eastfield West, rivets and cable drums are to be secured by means of an elastic band. I know this to be true because I have a 1962 Tri-ang model of a cable drum wagon with the load prototypicaly secured.

Edited by Bob O

Call me Mr Pedantic...but would the RCD van really be fitted with clasp brakes...and a tie bar!...am I missing something here?

The tie bar was probably added at the same time as the buffers were changed from long shank spindle type to self contained.

As the van would at times be sent to spy on punters taking part on rail tours, it was thought that a little test piece, such as you have noticed, could be included.

Of course the real fault in the model is the lack of rivets on the wheel rims as old Mansell wheels were used on the real thing. Russell GW Coaches p228 if you want to check.

Bernard

The tie bar was probably added at the same time as the buffers were changed from long shank spindle type to self contained.

As the van would at times be sent to spy on punters taking part on rail tours, it was thought that a little test piece, such as you have noticed, could be included.

Of course the real fault in the model is the lack of rivets on the wheel rims as old Mansell wheels were used on the real thing. Russell GW Coaches p228 if you want to check.

Bernard

But if it had been re-built by BR the wheels may have been changed. :O

Bernard

Good point, well made Bernard, as was Ronnie'S comments on other vehicles with clasps and tie bars...

...and...you could always get an etch done to convert any wheel into a Mansell wheel...unless this has already been done...anyone got a drawing??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think Mansell wheels would have been used on vans capable of well over 150mph on the straights. Nigel told me about this after a race one day at Brands and we all know he is a Modeller of Dutch Railways obscure Branch Lines from 1856 until 1857 so he knows everything. :rtfm:

Quack.

I am going to have to say this before this thread gets pinned, nailed or riveted as can’t be very far away.

Norman Turner is a fantastic modeller and a nice chap. He built the baseboards for Tony Wright’s Stoke Summit and many other top drawer layouts.

His wagons are admired and envied by many as they grace Stoke Summit et al. They complete the scene. A “spot on” loco on “spot on” train is the subject of many a Tony Wright picture.

Unlike Picasso (who went off on a tangent after his art reached perfection). Norman built this train as a diversion.  Have a laugh but admire the skill.

Didn't Picasso ended up designing railcars for SNCF ? ;-) 

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed that the RCD van has reference to EM and P4 but not to OO. Looking at the criticism and second guessing on the latest frothing topics for new RTR products, then this detector vehicle is not well designed/specified. Perhaps it was a joint product of the Derby and Swindon design offices.

Look more closely, the number is 999007 and the vehicle carries the legend "NOT TO BE LOOSE SHUNTED"

That's both 00 and OO included...

Andi

• Like 1

But if it had been re-built by BR the wheels may have been changed. :O

They were. Can't recall offhand but I seem to remember seeing a photo of it fitted with a combination of disc and split spoke wheels on one of the axles.

Before I come out and actually accuse the builder of getting an otherwise brilliant model wrong I'd appreciate the opportunity to dig through my extensive collection of wagon wheel photos.

I'll keep you posted...

They were. Can't recall offhand but I seem to remember seeing a photo of it fitted with a combination of disc and split spoke wheels on one of the axles.

Before I come out and actually accuse the builder of getting an otherwise brilliant model wrong I'd appreciate the opportunity to dig through my extensive collection of wagon wheel photos.

I'll keep you posted...

It cannot be wrong as it never existed!

Note I said, 'But if it had been re-built by BR the wheels may have been changed'.

Edited by andytrains

... .  It was on a Cucumber Special (from the Channel islands - the cucumber not the 73xxx).

-- I trust that the cucumbers were not curved - thus flouting EU.Regs.;  mustn't upset the Eurocrats in Sproutsium, must we?  Life is difficult enough with Whitehall's 'Gold plating.' of such Regs.,  as it is.

-- ;-)

I think this is probably the best thread to ask about traffic from Collumpton treacle mines, which my grandfather often spoke about.

A search on GEMGLE gives other local mines such as Dunchideock and Newtown Abbott but nothing on the Collumpton mines. Also information on several mines in other parts of the country.

... .

-- But didn't treacle come from treacle-wells?

- If I remember my Alice in Wonderland correctly wasn't it the Doormouse - the Mad Hatter's tea-party. - who made mention of these wells?

--  :-)

If I saw an unrestrained steel coil coming towards me, I'd certainly get the wind up!

If I may be excused a continuation of the more serious direction this seems to be taking, I thought steel chains on steel loads would slip and timber packing was used to introduce more friction?

-- If I remember aright that esteemed publication, the MRJ.,  had an article - or maybe two - on railways' vehicles used to transport coils of steel strip,  published maybe two or three years back.

--  :-)

Didn't Picasso ended up designing railcars for SNCF ? ;-) 

That was a joke Ronnie so no need to disagree!

When the SNCF's X3800 autorail was introduced in 1950 it rapidly acquired the nickname of "Picasso". That's generally assumed to be because the off-centre driving cab kiosk was thought to look a bit like one of Picasso's noses. That was though a feature of several early French diesel mechanical autorails where the driver had to sit over the engine to operate the gear box and clutch.  In reality it seems that it was the number of experimental paint schemes tried on it early on that originally led to its nickname amongst railway workers that has stuck ever since. .

post-6882-0-24236800-1385636616_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-74954600-1385635486_thumb.jpg

Despite their slightly odd appearance these railcars were very successful for local services before they were withdrawn in the late 1980s and are still very popular with preserved and tourist lines. 251 of them were built between 1950 and 1961 and some 38 of them are still around including the one still in service with SNCF - X3997- which is used as a mobile track circuit testing vehicle. 

Edited by Pacific231G

That was a joke Ronnie so no need to disagree!

When the SNCF's X3800 autorail was introduced in 1950 it rapidly acquired the nickname of "Picasso". That's generally assumed to be because the off-centre driving cab kiosk was thought to look a bit like one of Picasso's noses. 

How many noses did Picasso Have?

• Like 1