RCD vans

It would be coupled with a converted RMB which dispenses fishpaste sandwiches and tartan thermoses of bovril.  An experimental version of these was known as the GRICE-R

I believe the original LNE section code may have been GRILL-ER

I don't think Michael Portillo is a Wally. I like his approach to Railways and travel. The idea of using a 100 year old Bradshaw is inspired!

The use of MY Bradshaws guide.

"My Bradshaws guide says this, My Bradshaws guide says that, My Brads.............." 

• RMweb Premium

Livery presumably rust covered in dirt like most other vehicles. I assume it was not meant to be conspicuous and frighten off the targets.

Does the RCD van also detect modern image modellers of similar ilk? Presumably they don't count rivets. Welds perhaps?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Oh well!

I am unsure about Featured Content Sliders. Should they be chained with a bight (correct technical spelling) or have packing?

Would bifurcated rivets have been transported using the same methods? In childhood I remember my father always saying to use the bifurcated rivet. Whether this was a personal preference or not I am unsure, but he also mentioned split pins a lot.

I remember as a young lad in the merchant navy , one of the old sea dogs offered to show us the 'golden rivet'. Unfortunately I never got to see this wonder as the kindly fellow suddenly left the ship in Vancouver after a slight altercation with the quartermaster.

With reference to the Cullumpton treacle mines, I belive the majority of treacle went to Six Mile Bottom in Cambridgeshire.

As well as seeing the rivet counter vans passing my late grandmothers house I also remember the open topped 'wrong shade' wagons.. These usually contained 2 pipe smoking binocular wearing men checking sidings for any coaching stock accidentally clad in the incorrect shade of paint. I heard once that a blood and mustard coach had been found and the poor fellows were overjoyed. Incidentally I refer to my grandmother as late. This is only because the rolling stock used on the branch line passing her house was often delayed because the couplings were of varying types, it remained like this until Isambard Slarty Nem introduced a new coupling

system.

Edited by lightengine

Good old Devon name,he was my uncle twice removed born 1-5-1940

Born 1940 and driving by 1948 I presume Bullhead Malachite served only 6.5 years as a a secondman rather than the more usual 35 years often spent away at another region. It brings a whole new meaning to the saying man and boy, where in Bullheads case it was boy and man.

Incidentally, as your twice rmoved uncle was Devonian how far could he roll his ar*e?

Bullhead Malachite (Senior), who I think we are talking about here was born in 1915 and was a driver at Exmouth Junction in 1948. 

Bullhead Malachite (Junior) was born in 1940 that's where the confusion arises, he was a no good layabout and spent his whole life trainspotting and on the dole. 

Bullhead Malachite (Senior), wife was Sandra Serif.

They had another son Anthracite Malachite who went on to be a senior Fuel buyer for BR.

Edited by andytrains

I once had to sit through the 32 dvd collection of the 20th century drama The Malachite Saga, my ex wanted to find the scene where Bullhead first appeared. Eventually we found him peering from the loco cab. Interestingly this loco was one of the 1st to be fitted with the B******t Deflectors on the sides of the smoke box. These were at first thought to be smoke deflectors.

As an aside to this Bullhead Malachite (senior) worked during the '52 drivers strike and spent the remainder of his life at a small depot near Coventry. He eventually reached the top link but by then none of the old drivers were talking to him. He could often be seen swinging his tea can around in a windmill like action to agitate the tea leaves. An action which I find hard to believe because I have never known a driver to make tea!

After many years on the dole was it Bullhead (jnr) who rose through the ranks of platform boy to become British Rail chairman and lead them into Obscurity?

Edited by lightengine

I have just done some more research and Anthracite Malachite has two children born in the 1960's. He called the boy Sulzer and the girl Growler.

They are living and incestuas life in a disused coal mine just outside Coventry. They still have their grandfathers tea can that they still use to brew their tea.