RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder why they’ve got both 20s on one end? It’s only a small train, surely they could’ve top and tailed it, save runarounds?

Coupled together = multiple working and only one driver.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

I wonder why they’ve got both 20s on one end? It’s only a small train, surely they could’ve top and tailed it, save runarounds?

Back in the days of the photo Top and Tail was the exception and required special authority to do, unlike todays railway. I remember we had to get special dispensation to run all the train T&T at the 1991 Hereford Rail Festival.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Back in the days of the photo Top and Tail was the exception and required special authority to do, unlike todays railway. I remember we had to get special dispensation to run all the train T&T at the 1991 Hereford Rail Festival.

Paul J.

Also back in those days we thought nothing of coupling and uncoupling it was just part of the job . These days you'd think it involved a full engine overhaul or something

Blue and grey had been decided on officially at board level sometime in 1965 Keith, after the XP64 rake had done the rounds, but mass repainting of stock didn't get underway until mid to late 1966. 

I hope nobody's confusing the original 'Electric Blue' with the post-XP64 'Rail Blue' ............ the first AC electric locos - and the 'Blue Trains' - pre-date the Corporate Image by a long time !

• RMweb Premium

I hope nobody's confusing the original 'Electric Blue' with the post-XP64 'Rail Blue' ............ the first AC electric locos - and the 'Blue Trains' - pre-date the Corporate Image by a long time !

Nope.

I always thought the early AL1s etc looked quite smart with a rake of maroon coaches. (Clean of course.)

IMHO the later "Rail Blue" was a dismal shade in comparison, not helped by seemingly poor weathering qualities.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Had a smoke unit as a present and only have diesel locos?

Never mind:

post-6208-0-69378500-1522092609_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-12710200-1522092638_thumb.jpg

Copyright Virtual Railfan/Youtube/City of Flagstaff AZ

Keith

I tried an embedded link and it couldn't get it to work :scratchhead: 

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

Paul J.

Except on the Southern who had been doing it for years with ecs workings before it became common everywhere else. 

Quite a niche prototype this, but a prototype for a model nonetheless...

Spotted today at Farington Jn was the roof aerial of WCRC 57313. Now anyone who has ever owned or looked at a ViTrains 47 will know there is a square hole for the manufacturer's aerial moulding, however if you lose it or don't like the look of it, you have to fill the hole with a piece of plastic strip. I haven't bothered to blend mine in with the roof colour, and it seems I don't have to...

post-21664-0-55093300-1523035933_thumb.jpg

It looks like it's been plated over. Tiny detail I know but may be useful to someone.

Jack.

• Like 1

It looks like the aerial is still there.

I know, I meant the white patch looks like a plate over something...not sure what or why or if every loco has it and it’s just this one is white.

Jack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I reckon its an aluminum plate put over the fibreglass to stop water leaking in.

Strange thing with the strengthening plates on NRN aerials they are an inverted V on 47/57 but straight on a very similar class 56 no idea why!

• RMweb Premium

I reckon its an aluminum plate put over the fibreglass to stop water leaking in.

Strange thing with the strengthening plates on NRN aerials they are an inverted V on 47/57 but straight on a very similar class 56 no idea why!

I think there are some locos with straight at one end and V at the other.... (pretty certain I've modelled one)

Will try and find one.

edit -56094

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/7263216410/in/photolist-c4KZ9s-c4PTB5-c4PTc9-nSPrYv-c4PTs5-c4d2kd-dtRyCu-coynGy-c4PThS-c4PTmE-chfBi1-c4PSAN-c4d29w-cW9EXo-cFkZEQ-d9Wuxi-cFkZz7-cfpiLm-9wcBJz-c4L1T3

and 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60628514@N02/7263217276/in/photolist-c4KZ9s-c4PTB5-c4PTc9-nSPrYv-c4PTs5-c4d2kd-dtRyCu-coynGy-c4PThS-c4PTmE-chfBi1-c4PSAN-c4d29w-cW9EXo-cFkZEQ-d9Wuxi-cFkZz7-cfpiLm-9wcBJz-c4L1T3/

Cheers,

MIck

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've never noticed a V one one a 56 before. I often drove 56094 in BR days but obviously didn't pay much attention

56311 and 56312  have V at both ends - but they may have been a mod after BR days.

56311 was previously 56057 - looks like it may have had v from when it was first fitted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68882929@N07/30349480150/in/photolist-NeT269-dUexL8-nzVZQy-axaWcK-dHcwMH-dw7END-c8WvT5-eeSKCh-dC5kMz-Fs8JiJ-a3Fnr6-amDuFu-9vRds3-bVXW5p-9w28Dh-9y6YW1-aZYPbR-9y6i69-e8oHNo-pHy8c9-c7RVts-cdkieG-DBdbfP-akeRZ3-dg8X8T-okcNnD-uZ9YYW-5ZmAPv-q4eUmA-mEQPzZ-qu4UXT-FwisPd-aqCe2H-e6w86A-dHbp2A-Tk3MPS-ayGAC8-attNze-a1NBFN-gZDcyS-9S4N5T-a8b5j2-9Dt3cn-9GZjL3-brNdXe-agm8Nf-acv79t-bxGy7s-agiq1F-brNdTD

Flickr is ace for photo research.

Must go and do some modelling......

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

I believe NRN kits were supplied to depots for them to fit so maybe they weren't specific for a 47 or 56 but two different suppliers?

Mind I have a feeling the head unit plinths in 47s are taller as the floor is lower in their cabs between the seats

• RMweb Gold

I believe NRN kits were supplied to depots for them to fit so maybe they weren't specific for a 47 or 56 but two different suppliers?

Mind I have a feeling the head unit plinths in 47s are taller as the floor is lower in their cabs between the seats

The 'v' is a ground plate for the NRN aerial - something to do with helping to 'gather' the signal (or something like that) according to information when the installation was carried out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope this is the correct place for this post, I have done a search but couldn't find another appropriate thread (please advise if I've missed it somewhere). I've found a load of photos dating back as far as the mid '90s from work and I thought I'd share these two on RMweb (others may well follow when I've gone through them all). This may be of particular interest to those modelling in the "modern" era. The photos are taken at Barnsley Station Junction and show the installation of a Tail Light Camera. In the first photo can be seen the camera in the foreground (atop the tall post) and Barnsley Station Junction SB in the background (Barnsley station is behind the camera), the view being generally towards Horbury Jnc.

post-32776-0-87985200-1523129667_thumb.jpg

In the second photo you can just make out the branch to Huddersfield (via Penistone) diverging to the left (with a 20 mph PSR).

post-32776-0-09657600-1523129725_thumb.jpg

Although around this time quite a few Tail Light Cameras were being installed, particularly in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington area, I can only find photos of this installation. If any of the others turn up I'll post on here.

Hope they are of some interest.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 6

I hope this is the correct place for this post, I have done a search but couldn't find another appropriate thread (please advise if I've missed it somewhere). I've found a load of photos dating back as far as the mid '90s from work and I thought I'd share these two on RMweb (others may well follow when I've gone through them all). This may be of particular interest to those modelling in the "modern" era. The photos are taken at Barnsley Station Junction and show the installation of a Tail Light Camera. In the first photo can be seen the camera in the foreground (atop the tall post) and Barnsley Station Junction SB in the background (Barnsley station is behind the camera), the view being generally towards Horbury Jnc.

TL Cam 1 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

In the second photo you can just make out the branch to Huddersfield (via Penistone) diverging to the left (with a 20 mph PSR).

TL Cam 2 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

Although around this time quite a few Tail Light Cameras were being installed, particularly in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington area, I can only find photos of this installation. If any of the others turn up I'll post on here.

Hope they are of some interest.

Regards, Ian.

There's a couple on the Robin Hood line at Shirebrook north junction in the cutting and at Woodburn junction near Worksop

Edit to remove dual posting

Edited by great central