Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

But a TfW class 67?

It was mentiond but what's that got to do with the photo?

It doesn’t appear in any of the three pictures so I’m guessing that the TfW class 67 was pulling/pushing the Mk4 coaches and DVT. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

It doesn’t appear in any of the three pictures so I’m guessing that the TfW class 67 was pulling/pushing the Mk4 coaches and DVT. 

One would expect a picture of the loco actually mentioned in the post🙂

We could start a whole new picture topic

Picture of a brake van, guess the loco!😉

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BR(S) said:

HST set with NSE coach on the back.

43180 Dawlish

As an HST set with only one power car leading, you have to wonder what was going on. HSTs with only one power car working were banned over the Devon banks, they had to have a pilot loco - normally between Exeter and Plymouth, so had it came up from Paignton? And there's only one FO so not an internal WR set? Perhaps ecs?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The caption on Flickr says, “Single Power Car 43180 is in charge of the 10.35 Paignton Paddington {Fo} screams away from Dawlish on 12 August 1988.”

Whilst it’s possible that a NE/SW set was used on an internal WR service, that would be very unusual, but not as unusual as a Network SouthEast coach being in the consist. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

The pictures were taken at Reading, so I think the poster has posted them on the grounds that that’s not somewhere that that stock/livery would normally be seen. 

Sorry yeah that's correct, well away from the normal or intended stomping grounds of the Mk4s, the set in question was actually on one of two overnight test runs. 67008 in TfW colours was on the other end but unfortunately didn't get a photo.

An open access operator had proposed to use Mk4s on the GWML, but they are now planning to use AT300s IIRC.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

Sorry yeah that's correct, well away from the normal or intended stomping grounds of the Mk4s, the set in question was actually on one of two overnight test runs. 67008 in TfW colours was on the other end but unfortunately didn't get a photo.

An open access operator had proposed to use Mk4s on the GWML, but they are now planning to use AT300s IIRC.

The ones posted were (AFAIK) the Grand Central (Arriva) WCML liveried stock, which made some test runs but the service was abandoned due to the pandemic.

The repainted class 90s and Mk4s were then looking for some further useful employment.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/09/11/grand-central-abandons-west-coast-main-line-plans/

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/01/2023 at 14:26, brushman47544 said:

As an HST set with only one power car leading, you have to wonder what was going on. HSTs with only one power car working were banned over the Devon banks, they had to have a pilot loco - normally between Exeter and Plymouth, so had it came up from Paignton? And there's only one FO so not an internal WR set? Perhaps ecs?

I might be wrong but that looks like a MK2 tacked on the back. A very unusual photo!

Regards 

Guy

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

4 power cars to shift 1 EMU !

Is that the railway being innovative and flexible, or is it showing how desperate things are now ?

Either way, thanks for posting that clip.

Kev.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 13:05, Steven B said:

You'd often find a single coach attached if a single power car was out on its own so it could be rescued from either end should the need arise. It did lead to some fun combinations - how about this for an express parcels trainL

Isn't there something about speed of a single power car being limited due to brake force, higher speed is possible if a coach is attached to increase the brake force? Applies to light engines as well I think I've seen commented.

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, I guess it was two power cars to shift one EMU six - yes SIX - barrier wagons and two more power cars !

2 barrier wagons and 4 extra wagons for braking. The 777 has EP brakes so in this consist would be unbraked.

A stock delivery passed me yesterday near Shrewsbury with a new TfW unit sandwiched between about 8 old Freightliner bogie coal hoppers.  Unfortunately I didn't see the loco at the front or take a picture as I was in the middle of my motorbike CBT.

Why they couldn't have just coupled it up behind another 197 is anyone's guess.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SHMD said:

4 power cars to shift 1 EMU !

Is that the railway being innovative and flexible, or is it showing how desperate things are now ?

Either way, thanks for posting that clip.

Kev.

The RA power cars work as pairs (with buffers on the cab ends). So effectively they are "one loco".

Power provided at either end to allow reversals without a run-round is not unusual for stock moves.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2023 at 16:09, newbryford said:

The RA power cars work as pairs (with buffers on the cab ends). So effectively they are "one loco".

Power provided at either end to allow reversals without a run-round is not unusual for stock moves.

A couple have also been on holiday.

Posing for photograph at Munich:

1280px-RailAdventure_-_Hanson_&_Hall_434

(By ICE 91 Prinz Eugen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=110854249)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 12