Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I do wonder why modellers get so hung up about derailments - they're perfectly prototypical..!!! 🤣🤣👍

But where's the HOG from the sky when you need it?

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Can’t think of what to put in your wagons to create a realistic load? How about some muddy water…

IMG_3575.jpeg.98c0e2574594789b838c14d93f80d8f5.jpeg

Merehead bound from the colour?

5 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

What an odd place to paint the vehicle number. I can't see that being legible for very long. Perhaps its on the side or solebar too.

As mentioned by other posters, these wagons have the numbers on the side too. In fact it's on each side twice, and each end once, so 6 times in all per wagon.

I regularly work with the oldest batch of these wagons and none have the end number obscured yet.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/09/2023 at 20:23, The Johnster said:

Should be possible to drive it back, with extreme caution. 

If it hasn't ripped out any of the connections to the bogies, especially the rear one, which is way passed it's design movement.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2023 at 20:23, The Johnster said:

Should be possible to drive it back, with extreme caution. 

Once it's been lifted clear of the platform edge that it's sitting on and if the running gear is actually capable of it - which I doubt.

I knew a breakdown supervisor who tried moving back a Mk2 coach that finished up like that without bothering to lift it and do the job properly.  He succeeded - in turning the thing onto its side  blocking enough running lines to completely shut the job and creating an even bigger re-railing job than he'd started with.  

You might get away with it on a model railway but things are very different in the real world especially with all the stuff that's under modern vehicles and that is one of the situations where you don't pull.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Once it's been lifted clear of the platform edge that it's sitting on and if the running gear is actually capable of it - which I doubt.

I knew a breakdown supervisor who tried moving back a Mk2 coach that finished up like that without bothering to lift it and do the job properly.  He succeeded - in turning the thing onto its side  blocking enough running lines to completely shut the job and creating an even bigger re-railing job than he'd started with.  

You might get away with it on a model railway but things are very different in the real world especially with all the stuff that's under modern vehicles and that is one of the situations where you don't pull.   

I agree about modern vehicles.  Seen it done with a bogie bolster (unloaded), at Margam, mind you, they were a law into themselves down there…

For no reason at all, this thought has called to mind a signalman at R&SB Jc who was a pretty good tenor, and used to belt out operatic arias out of the open box windows on warm days.  You'd give him a wave and in full camp Welsh accent he’d respond ‘ello, my loveleeeee’!  One of those little things that made your day better, and there weren’t many of those at Margam!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 20:57, melmerby said:

If it hasn't ripped out any of the connections to the bogies, especially the rear one, which is way passed it's design movement.

Particularly the cardan shafts between gearbox and bogie final drive. One half of the shaft slides 'inside' the other but if the shaft has to extend too far, you can imagine it separating and dropping out completely.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I agree about modern vehicles.  Seen it done with a bogie bolster (unloaded), at Margam, mind you, they were a law into themselves down there…

For no reason at all, this thought has called to mind a signalman at R&SB Jc who was a pretty good tenor, and used to belt out operatic arias out of the open box windows on warm days.  You'd give him a wave and in full camp Welsh accent he’d respond ‘ello, my loveleeeee’!  One of those little things that made your day better, and there weren’t many of those at Margam!

This surely cries out for recreation in model form using a DCC sound fitted signal box!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Will Crompton said:

This surely cries out for recreation in model form using a DCC sound fitted signal box!

Isn't there already enough discord sown at exhibitions from loco sounds and block bells, without having to listen to O Sole Mio or Myfanwy coming from the next layout?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Isn't there already enough discord sown at exhibitions from loco sounds and block bells, without having to listen to O Sole Mio or Myfanwy coming from the next layout?

I dis see, I think at RailEx some years ago, a rather nice US H0 layout that had the local radio station blaring out of the station diner* along with all the usual American bells and whistles; I rather liked it. I'm all for this suggestion. What's oppressive is the sound of umpteen diesels ticking over - not pleasant either in model form or real life.

*i.e. Station WTFX (or whatever), not BBC Buckinghamshire.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I dis see, I think at RailEx some years ago, a rather nice US H0 layout that had the local radio station blaring out of the station diner* along with all the usual American bells and whistles; I rather liked it. I'm all for this suggestion. What's oppressive is the sound of umpteen diesels ticking over - not pleasant either in model form or real life.

Probably one of Peter North's layouts, he used to make very nice US HO layouts, & mentioned doing a 'juke box' effect in a Continental Modeller article for at least one of them. IIRC it was just a cassette tape player (remember those??) & under-board speaker.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Not everything has to be era-appropriate. Where did this bench come from?

This beautiful canopy must be a difficult bit of the building to maintain, given the very high frequency of trains passing thorough. 

Battersea Park Station north end of canopy 25 9 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The worst I've seen was an NSE layout at the Basingstoke show a few years ago with pre-recorded station announcements blaring out every few seconds. They didn't even seem to co-incide with the movements. It drove me away after about two minutes, so I dread to think what it must have been like for the other exhibitors!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2023 at 12:21, Rich_F said:

Love your large BR blue locos but only have a small shunting layout? No problem.

"45037 at Peak Forest".

class45.JPG.97f7ce63dd51f35107ebdcdd0d290339.JPG

Bl**dy awful things to shunt with.  Ok for a bit of simple attaching or detaching a few wagons but shunting with them leaves someone unsighted for a large part of the time and that can get rather dangerous.  We had one incident where some 45 ton tank cars (loaded with bitumen were not only hit hard enough to knock them off the road but finshed up  standing upright with no wheels anywhere near any track at all!    Driver couldn't see the shunter and all went much too fast and well and truly off the road..

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3