Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I've done land surveying using chains, but they were metric by then: 20 metres.

They were still divided into 100 links, though, and seeing this finally explained what was probably the weirdest measurement on the back of my school exercise book: 1 link = 7.92 inches.

Also, 25 links = 1 rod, pole or perch = ¼ chain, which is probably rather more informative than the seemingly random 1 rod, pole or perch = 5½ yards.

Reminds me of Grandpa Simpson's rant at metric https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5-s-4KPtD8

The chain (more accurately Gunter's chain, named after the man who invented it) is metric, after a fashion. 

The point of it is that it is divided into links each of 1/00 of a chain and one square chain equals 1/10 acre. That makes surveying reasonably straightforward -- the sums to obtain an area figure in square chains are base 10, and (likewise) all that needs to be done to turn a result in square chains into a (decimal) acres figure is to divide by 10 (and old OS maps and so on show area figures in decimal acres).      

For example, suppose a square area measures 1.27 by 3.56 chains. That equals 4.5212 square chains (1.27 x 3.56) or 0.45212 acre (4.5212 divided by 10).

Apologies for the massive thread drift.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

39 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

Thank you, I'd often wondered what those numbers meant in the middle of fields etc.

There are usually two numbers. The first is a reference number (so you can refer to "field 27", for example) and the second is the area in acres to three decimal places. Here is an example (with some railway included to try to keep this on-topic):

image.png.b96a13f7f35e730e199dcc0c0d789b4a.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 2251 said:

The chain (more accurately Gunter's chain, named after the man who invented it) is metric, after a fashion. 

Bit like BA screw threads, often considered part of the imperial measurements.

They are based on 0BA being 6mm over thread peaks and each successive size is a fixed fraction of the previous one. (0.9 times to 2 significant figures (metric), then converted to thousanths of an inch and quoted to 1 significant place.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Bit like BA screw threads, often considered part of the imperial measurements.

They are based on 0BA being 6mm over thread peaks and each successive size is a fixed fraction of the previous one. (0.9 times to 2 significant figures (metric), then converted to thousanths of an inch and quoted to 1 significant place.

Is there an app for that?

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

Leeds 1990 by Neil Young

29.12.90 91013 Leeds

Not just the wrong way round, but apparently coupling up to the Manchester/Liverpool Pullmans. Were they even compatible? I know the Mk2 Pullmans were fussy about what they could be hauled by.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Not just the wrong way round, but apparently coupling up to the Manchester/Liverpool Pullmans. Were they even compatible? I know the Mk2 Pullmans were fussy about what they could be hauled by.

Mk2 Pullmans's had standard drop-buck eye couplings so no problem there. They were converted to air-brakes in 1986. When built they could only run with AC electrics due to their need for a 800V AC train supply. I believe the work carried out in 1986 resulted in them being able to run behind a wider range of locos. The set was used by Interciy charters, with the set being named Lakeland Pullman with appropriate car names).

There are a couple more photos of the same train on Flickr:

52102416761_393997a2b9_w.jpg

Whitehall Junction. by Keith Long, on Flickr

49654652116_aa58d56f7b_w.jpg

Leeds Whitehall Junction. by Keith Long, on Flickr

And heading up to Copy Pit with class 25 Tamworth Castle on the front:

36698617664_11e0404100_w.jpg

D7672 Holme Chapel 291290 img375-1090MAH-a by Tony Woof, on Flickr

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Well you wouldn't want any old riff raff getting intimate with the Pullmans.

• Funny 3

36 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Well you wouldn't want any old riff raff getting intimate with the Pullmans.

As Steven noted above, as-built they were only operationally compatible with vac-braked ac electric locos, which narrowed down the options considerably.