Prototype for everything corner.

21 minutes ago, dvdlcs said:

Is that some sort of drop-down coupling on the 92s?

The MK5 stock is fitted with Dellner-style couplings, as seen on the coach end here:

End details of 15008 ( 967000150086 ), SC-008, a Caledonian Sleeper 8 seated 7 - 1, CAF Mk5 coach, seen at Carlisle Citadel Station.

(Flickr link)

Note the myriad of electrical cables too...complicated (and consequently troublesome) pieces of kit!

Jack.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

The MK5 stock is fitted with Dellner-style couplings, as seen on the coach end here:

End details of 15008 ( 967000150086 ), SC-008, a Caledonian Sleeper 8 seated 7 - 1, CAF Mk5 coach, seen at Carlisle Citadel Station.

(Flickr link)

Note the myriad of electrical cables too...complicated (and consequently troublesome) pieces of kit!

Jack.

Half that myriad seem to be earthing straps ...... not trusting metal to metal contact !

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the cock on that air pipe is in just the right place to get knocked off by debris or even hard snow.   Who actually designed these things?

Hi Mike,

My guess would be a wonk in an office that has not ever got his hands dirty at work !

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the cock on that air pipe is in just the right place to get knocked off by debris or even hard snow.   Who actually designed these things?

That is closed and is in line when open so less likely to be knocked off!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

Half that myriad seem to be earthing straps ...... not trusting metal to metal contact !

Ah yes, equi-potenetial bonding. I remember that at college, where our lecturer commenting on the IEE 15th edition requiring that steel bit being bonded to that aluminium bit with a copper cable in a nickel plated lug all held together with a brass nut and bolt, resulting in electrollitic reactions and corrosion rendering it next to useless as the years went by.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

That is closed and is in line when open so less likely to be knocked off!

Time will tell.  it wouldn't be the first thing that we've been told won't get damaged or knocked off because it's in such and such an alignment or situation. Or 'that's impossible it can't ever happen'. - which I seem to recollect being told about air-braked trains failing to stop if they became accidentally divided.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Time will tell.  it wouldn't be the first thing that we've been told won't get damaged or knocked off because it's in such and such an alignment or situation. Or 'that's impossible it can't ever happen'. - which I seem to recollect being told about air-braked trains failing to stop if they became accidentally divided.

It doesn't look like something designed to be on the exterior of the train.

They don't seem to have put windows in the corridor end doors either, which is a shame.

We've seem to have gone full circle back to the Mark I's .

• Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 13:03, Jack374 said:

(Flickr link)

Jack.

The metal wrap around at corner between the roof and side looks like it was cut with a blunt pair of scissors. It would look odd in OO never mind 12inch to the foot. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

'that's impossible it can't ever happen'. - which I seem to recollect being told about air-braked trains failing to stop if they became accidentally divided.

Appropriate comment since the pictures are at Carlisle and the rear of divided, air braked train once ran away towards Carlisle, gathering speed all the time, until the alert signaller sent it around the goods lines, destroying Dentonholme bridge over the Caldew in the process.

02_02_34.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/07/2019 at 18:44, 62613 said:

Crimes! What was going on?

The 08s are possibly en route to or from works, probably Swindon as they were doing most 08 overhauls at the time. Wrong, Swindon had already closed.

Edited by royaloak
Correcting wrong info.

16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Appropriate comment since the pictures are at Carlisle and the rear of divided, air braked train once ran away towards Carlisle, gathering speed all the time, until the alert signaller sent it around the goods lines, destroying Dentonholme bridge over the Caldew in the process.

02_02_34.jpg

Thanks. I have never seen a photo of that incident before. 

Thanks. I remember reading that the freight lines had closed permanently, and trains would be routed via the station. From a selfish point of view I thought this was good because I would see them if I went there. 

I suppose that by that time, freight traffic had reduced to the extent that routing them through Citadel was not too much of a problem. 

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks. I remember reading that the freight lines had closed permanently, and trains would be routed via the station. From a selfish point of view I thought this was good because I would see them if I went there. 

I suppose that by that time, freight traffic had reduced to the extent that routing them through Citadel was not too much of a problem. 

That also leads to what I saw the other day.

A timber train coming off the up goods at Kingmoor, routed up the bi-directional down main and through platform 3, meanwhile running side by side was a Pendolino from Glasgow on the Up main running into platform 4.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Do you spend all your time looking out of the window while at work or is it only when you hear a train coming? :lol::rolleyes:

If it was me, it would be all the time.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 18:17, flapland said:

The metal wrap around at corner between the roof and side looks like it was cut with a blunt pair of scissors. It would look odd in OO never mind 12inch to the foot. 

If you produced something like that in a BR Works Training School you would probably be told to try again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

If you produced something like that in a BR Works Training School you would probably be told to try again.

The top capping of the body is not welded but is interlocked and has a pin inserted to maintain alignment and prevents the corner fracturing .

Mark Saunders 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Just tell the boss it was the result of a heavy shunt:

Locomotive_engineering_-_a_practical_jou

(actually a boiler explosion)

To be fair....I've seen Police cars in worse positions! 

Regards

Guy

Ever wanted to run a mixed train of passenger stock and freight (nuclear flask wagons)? Something interesting and sure to raise a few eyebrows. They even matched the loco and coach!

HOLYTOWN 68006 DARING

(Flickr photo)

Jack.

• Like 13