Waiting for a Train - Painted Model Railway Figures by The Purple Primer

ThePurplePrimer

This one is another 7mm figure from a Phoenix casting

An interesting figure this one and plenty of uses - he could be a foreman and could be especially suitable for a goods shed or loading dock - or is he just a passenger - he could be any kind of railway worker really. This one is currently in my ebay shop

attachicon.gif7-464-small.jpg

attachicon.gif7-464-01.jpg

attachicon.gif7-464-02.jpg

attachicon.gif7-464-03.jpg

attachicon.gif7-464-04.jpg

As always perfect painting . .I did this one too and most of the other Phoenix railway figures  there is an odd story about it .I did him and a lady  about the same time .Brian Marlow ,who owned Phoenix Model

Development ,said his sister cried when she saw them as they looked exactly like their mum and dad when they were younger and who had passed on by then .Love the chipped mug on the tea drinker.

Martin

Edited by alfsboy

• RMweb Gold

It looks like I don't have that one in stock - it's a good seat though so I will order some in

As Hornby have decided to model their Star seats in the up position they could be a prime candidate for a driver use.

Hi Martin

Wow that's some story and what a coincidence

How do you actually envisage these sculpts - do you work from photos ? - some of your faces have so much character I have to think they are based on real people sometimes

Excited to see what comes off your sculpting desk next

... Rob

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Excellent work. Now following your thread.

Roughly how long does it take you to paint a 4mm figure and what (size) brushes do you use?

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by D9JEF

Hi Rob,

Excellent work. Now following your thread.

Roughly how long does it take you to paint a 4mm figure and what (size) brushes do you use?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Glad you like them

It's hard to know how long each one takes as I rarely do one from start to finish - I like to work in small batches of 6 to 10. I would say it's somewhere around 1.5 to 2 hours

I have tried a LOT of brushes over the years but my current favourites are DaVincis - I always use Kolinski Sable though whatever the brand. Personally I think people try to use brushes that are too small and that's not really on with acrylics in my opinion as paint drying on the tip will drive you mad. I use a size 2 and a size 1 for most work- I will sometimes use a zero for eyes in 7mm work.

Hope that helps

Edited by ThePurplePrimer

Lovely work.  Could I ask do you start with a black primer and then build up the colours from there or do you add the dark shadows to a light coloured base coat?

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete

A definitive answer for primers is tricky but generally I will use white on 4mm figs and black on 7mm. I will sometimes use a very dark brown on a 7mm fig if the finished job will have no blue in it. For 4mm work I think black kills the colours a bit too much.

Whatever the primer/ base colour I always paint from dark up to light as a general rule

On 4 mm work I usually use 3 to 4 shades of each colour and 7mm work 4 - 6 shades of each colour

HTH

As I mentioned recently I usually paint in small batches and for 4mm work I prefer batches of 6 to 8 - that seems to work best for me.

Here is the latest batch just finished and now off to the varnishing bench

4mm Dart figures

Seems like this lot might have some new mugs ( xmas pressies ? )

post-20732-0-49445100-1389704973_thumb.jpg

Drinka Pinta Milka Day

4mm scale Milk Man

This is another one from Dart Castings - complete with a crate of milk, some eggs and a pot of yogurt. of course he has silver top, red top and two bottles of gold top left 

post-20732-0-17693600-1390057119.jpg

post-20732-0-92399700-1390057150.jpg

post-20732-0-68364300-1390057164.jpg

post-20732-0-06969900-1390057165.jpg

post-20732-0-93043900-1390057179.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I would just like to add my congratulations on your lovely workmanship.

Welcome to the world of modelling to earn a crust. I took the plunge myself a while ago and am really enjoying it.

I have just been painting some figures for my own layout, (some of the new Stadden Edwardian figures as you have been doing on that thread), after not having done any for quite a few years. I don't think that mine were ever as good as what you are doing but I used to be able to get reasonable results. Now I find that the eyesight ain't what it used to be.

Do you have really good eyesight or if you are using some form of enlarger/magnifier, would you mind telling us what it is, as I could be highly tempted?

Tony

Hi Martin

Wow that's some story and what a coincidence

How do you actually envisage these sculpts - do you work from photos ? - some of your faces have so much character I have to think they are based on real people sometimes

Excited to see what comes off your sculpting desk next

... Rob

hi

Sorry for delay in replying .The figures ,having been ordered ,just sort of materialise  in front of me but I always have to watch out it will cast  properly and not rip moulds .Sometimes a figure suggests itself as I am sculpting so  i just follow my nose and keep going .Often its just a wire frame but something says ............. A lot of poses are a no go due to casting restrictions .What you dont see are the ones that I throw away or at least radically alter .Still learning ..I always tell customers that they are paying for the ones I threw away ,not the one you get LOL I like the milkman , you  really did justice to him  .He was a real swine .I had to make the bottles and cage out of brass so turned the bottles in rod and soldered them to a cage .Of course it fell to bits when I did so I ended up burning my fingers .Here is a shot hastily taken on my iPhone of my next  0 scale figure .He is basically just a driver for any loco,steam or critter  .He is designed to be just standing out of the cab  a bit rather than in it though of course he can also stand inside .He is sort of generic 1/48 /43 size to fit in cabs  and also not time or country  specific .I'll get him cast along with some others put him in my own TRACKPASS / RAILFOLK  figures on Ebay  after a  fuss  around with ,sharpening and final finishing .Always a shock blowing the image up ,it shows all the faults Thanks for the kind words  and keep on doing more than justice to my figures .

post-4984-0-02763500-1390059132_thumb.jpg

Edited by alfsboy
  • Like 1

I would just like to add my congratulations on your lovely workmanship.

Welcome to the world of modelling to earn a crust. I took the plunge myself a while ago and am really enjoying it.

I have just been painting some figures for my own layout, (some of the new Stadden Edwardian figures as you have been doing on that thread), after not having done any for quite a few years. I don't think that mine were ever as good as what you are doing but I used to be able to get reasonable results. Now I find that the eyesight ain't what it used to be.

Do you have really good eyesight or if you are using some form of enlarger/magnifier, would you mind telling us what it is, as I could be highly tempted?

Tony

My eyesight is actually very poor sadly. I simply could not paint without magnification - you must use a dual lens system or you won't see any depth of field or have any idea of how far away from the job you are

I use the Optivisor headsets - I have three ( different lenses ) but the one I use most is the one with a number 5 lens. They are not cheap but are invaluable

HTH

Did you ever complete the  HO guy with the Belt-pak Remote controller? If so, when is he likely to be available please? and from whom/where?

Yes I posted a piccy of it but here he is again  ,i have sorted some small things I didnt like .He is designed to be on the pilot so is a bit static  .He is awaiting casting at present which is out of my hands  so a few months .I usually wait until I have a few of my own figures t cast .I am starting another of those figures ,a guy at a  crossing ,and I will also do a colder climates guy and a lady switchman :-).I might also do some earlier switching  dudes ,like 50's with a flag and a guy on the pilot in those baggy trousers past their waist and hats rather than caps   and such .I dont expect a huge sales but as I am old and stupid I'll carry on .I came here via painting figures but I like painting Zinnfiguren  ( 30mm flats )in oils now .i can just about see them still .

Martin

post-4984-0-06729900-1390070074_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Martin

I tried painting a flat once - very difficult

They are tricky .Heres ones I did earlier ,sadly quite a bit earlier.I am back doing it after years but although my eyes have lasted fairly well my techniques are a bit lost so I am learning a lot again .Its very easy to muddy it all up with oils.l will have to get the brushes out and tidy this guy up .the shots a bit grainy too .

post-4984-0-67447500-1390128800.jpg

post-4984-0-89147600-1390129078.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I posted a piccy of it but here he is again  ,i have sorted some small things I didnt like .He is designed to be on the pilot so is a bit static  .He is awaiting casting at present which is out of my hands  so a few months .I usually wait until I have a few of my own figures t cast .I am starting another of those figures ,a guy at a  crossing ,and I will also do a colder climates guy and a lady switchman :-).I might also do some earlier switching  dudes ,like 50's with a flag and a guy on the pilot in those baggy trousers past their waist and hats rather than caps   and such .I dont expect a huge sales but as I am old and stupid I'll carry on .I came here via painting figures but I like painting Zinnfiguren  ( 30mm flats )in oils now .i can just about see them still .

Martin

Martin - please post when they are available with details of how to get them - I'm looking forward to buying and painting them, and there are some locos looking forward to them as well. Thanks for the reply