DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

More of a question than a suggestion, Dave, but is there a printing process that would allow randomized numbers on stock?  A major pet-peeve of mine, and likely other modellers, is running block freights with most, if not all of the wagons having the same running number.

I would think, given computers and printers being where they are, we could have a system that prints a sequentially higher number on each unit, until a certain value is reached, where the number resets to the base.  I don't know that it would cost all that much more a unit, either, easily within acceptable margins for both the manufacturer and the final customer.

If RTR stock is still tampo-printed, then an ink / paint design is conventionally printed and transferred to the model, and only one design per printed batch would be possible.

If the marking is now directly sprayed onto the model via digital means, then your suggestion may, in theory, be possible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Did the USA tank ever actually get launched as an RTR - it was promised by a magazine a year or so back, I seem to remember ?

Hi dhig

There's a thread here about the USA tank - under Bachmann. Hope this helps - looks like it's well on track.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55185-modelrail-ustc-0-6-0-tank-loco-project-usa/

Mal

If RTR stock is still tampo-printed, then an ink / paint design is conventionally printed and transferred to the model, and only one design per printed batch would be possible.

If the marking is now directly sprayed onto the model via digital means, then your suggestion may, in theory, be possible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

As far as I currently know tampo-printing is still used (at least in the Military Modelling field), and additional printing pads are relatively inexpensive.  The problem would be more I suspect that one would still have to run a number of each 'pattern', and instant interchangability of numbers would still not be possible.  This is, I presume, how Bachmann, for instance, do the 3 or 6 piece 'weathered' wagon sets they issue of BR mineral wagons. 

It isn't difficult though, given the excellent transfers now available, to do it oneself.  I don't think it could ever be commercially viable for any company to issue large numbers of sequentially numbered wagons on the off chance that they might sell more.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited a friend the other day for a running session on his gwr layout & something instantly sprung to mind for this thread. My friends been trying to cobble together a decent 14xx because he said both Hornby & it's predecessor company's attempts never got a good chassis. Maybe a modern all singing all dancing 14xx would be great even possibly as a set with a decent auto coach to accompany the loco. I'm almost certain that this is a no brained model that would fly off the shelves & see ebay flood with cheap Hornby airfix mainline models.

• RMweb Gold

I put my neck on the line with this. I have disagreed with you not on the idea of a 14xx as it's lovely prototype. But more the eBay flood as djm is a young company and needs money coming in to keep going and to bring new models to the market any second hand flood of the same model must be a concern. Especially in economic climate.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone of these have been mentioned but will list them ayway:

15xx

Manning Wardle 0-6-0st (i know there different varieties but i mean in general)

A decent GWR Large Prairie, to finally knock the sales out of Hornby and the hanging on for dear life Airfix model

A 14xx (again same as the Prairie)

A1/A1X Terrier 

B12

Probably no market for them but would love to see some of the earlier locos, Rocket, Planet, Lion etc

Met 1

Caledonian Single, 419 Tank and 0-6-0 Goods 828! 

All in OO, yeah im not too picky on era, company etc, so long as they fit the bill for preserved members! 

*Goes back to dream land*

• Like 1

Nevermind all them. Some of us are noticing the 'Rising of the North' with North East Region type engines getting favour.

So seen as though its still a while before any more are supposedly announced by DJM just imagine where that J21 might be by then! Start planning now Dave.... and the pints on the way!

• Like 1

I know you've got a production programme that is already longer than an orang-utan's arm plus a queue of us with Kickstarter ideas (still haven't forgotten the 86..) but, thinking a bit left-field, what about something like a Stephenson "Patentee" 2-2-2 from the early days of railways, or something similar?  My thinking is that whilst very few at the moment model the early 1830-50 period, a model of a "very pretty little kettle" would appeal not only to those of us who are interested in this era but also to collectors and people who just want a pretty little loco to be stuffed and mounted on the desk - or even as a stuffed and mounted loco on a plinth outside an OO scale station in a park.  It could also be something that could create a whole new genre of modelling similar to the growing rtr OO9 products seem to be doing in that field.  You'd might need some coaches and probably some wagons (a flat and a chauldron hopper should suffice) but even just a loco would be a start, and I'm sure would appeal just as much as an impulse "Ooh that's pretty" type buy, if not more so.

Could also tie in with the Manchester science museum...

• Like 1

I know you've got a production programme that is already longer than an orang-utan's arm plus a queue of us with Kickstarter ideas (still haven't forgotten the 86..) but, thinking a bit left-field, what about something like a Stephenson "Patentee" 2-2-2 from the early days of railways, or something similar?  My thinking is that whilst very few at the moment model the early 1830-50 period, a model of a "very pretty little kettle" would appeal not only to those of us who are interested in this era but also to collectors and people who just want a pretty little loco to be stuffed and mounted on the desk - or even as a stuffed and mounted loco on a plinth outside an OO scale station in a park.  It could also be something that could create a whole new genre of modelling similar to the growing rtr OO9 products seem to be doing in that field.  You'd might need some coaches and probably some wagons (a flat and a chauldron hopper should suffice) but even just a loco would be a start, and I'm sure would appeal just as much as an impulse "Ooh that's pretty" type buy, if not more so.

Could also tie in with the Manchester science museum...

I see where you are going with this Mark, "Kings Oak 1845"

Another six-coupled tank to whet the appetite.

RSH 18 inch outside-cylindered job, one of the ten mopst powerful 0-6-0 tank types in the UK....

Pics of No.16 in service at Backworth and awaiting restoration at Tanfield, and of the restored No.38 at Tanfield.

post-13358-0-94300500-1415975462_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-74416800-1415975464_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-97887100-1415975499_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-73510200-1415975501_thumb.jpg

Just a thought....

Les

• Like 4

I'd love to see rtr versions to the Brown Boveri gas turbine loco 18000 and the Class 89 in OO gauge, would happily pledge to a crowd funded project for either of those

The Hawksworth 15xx pannier tank, again in OO, would also be nice to see :-)

And for the industrials corner, how about the Ruston 48ds? Either OO or O gauge, id have a one or two of each :-)

Cheers

Dan

Id love to see a nice class 89 or the 'holy grail' the BB18000.

These 2 could sell very well and i'm surprised they have not been done by anyone yet as proper RTR items.

Surely their day has come, as its not as though you cant measure the real thing, after all.

• Like 3

Lol no, not at all.

However I have quoted for the class 89 for a potential client in the last 17 months.

I am sure that we'll see RTR models of the three GTs - 18000, 18100 & GT3 - before too long.

No, I have no inside information - but they have to be prime candidates for Heljan at least.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

If only the 89 becomes reality. Once went to Leeds for it on a Saturday morning only for it to expire more or less opposite what is now the White Rose Centre. Had to be rescued by a 47. Some things never change on the ECML.

Maybe we will be lucky in the future as lots of prototypes are now being offered by manufacturers.

Hello Dave.  Thanks for giving us this opportunity to wishlist.

I've noticed that everybody's asking for rolling stock of some sort.  Well, in the wods of the Spice Girls, "what I really, really want" is some decent 00 track, rather than rebadged H0.  Something akin to SMP scaleway flexitrack, with say some 3' radius points and crossovers to suit.  Closer track centres (say EM standards) and points to a high standard of realism, so more like Tilig than PECO.

I'm sure that a man of your perspicacity can oblige.

Cheers,

Bob.

Thank you Phatbob,

I'd like to bring this one to the fore and reinforce the need for decent 00 gauge track.

I've used SMP and made my own points in 00 but if you want to do a reasonably complex layout, the prospect of spending the rest of my life making point seems, well, pointless.

Go on, have a go. With all the comment in the railway press in recent years, I'm sure it would be a major hit.

Can I put in an advanced order now?

Rotund Bob

Hello All,

I don't know if it's already been raised at any time in the last 33 pages but I'd love to run a convincing Elizabethan without resorting to surgery.

So how about Thomson coaching stock with extended sides?

Bob

PS The last bloke is right. Decent 00 track.

Thank you Phatbob,

I'd like to bring this one to the fore and reinforce the need for decent 00 gauge track.

I've used SMP and made my own points in 00 but if you want to do a reasonably complex layout, the prospect of spending the rest of my life making point seems, well, pointless.

Go on, have a go. With all the comment in the railway press in recent years, I'm sure it would be a major hit.

Can I put in an advanced order now?

Rotund Bob

There has been a whole thread on this elsewhere on this forum, and many mentions on others. It all comes down to two things:

a) what do you mean and do enough other people agree with you (they haven't managed to yet)

b) how to make money from a seriously major investment with relatively small unit revenue, demanding a majorly mass market pretty quickly. In a poll in the above-mentioned thread, the vast majority would not use such track until their "next layout",

It became clear that the best route to this, is to persuade someone like Peco, to go down this route, who already have much of the means of production of same, but who would still need to make many new moulds to satisfy the number of variations to turnouts and track types that such a discerning clientele would demand, and would have to sell a lot of each. However, their immediate response would be, what is the answer to Question (a)?

Id love to see a nice class 89 or the 'holy grail' the BB18000.

These 2 could sell very well and i'm surprised they have not been done by anyone yet as proper RTR items.

Surely their day has come, as its not as though you cant measure the real thing, after all.

With all the clamour for the prototype diesels, surely it is only a matter of time before the Gas Turbines get a crack at the whip. 18000 seems a good one to start with as it had 2 liveries and lasted about 10 years in service on and off (better than some production classes of diesel ;) ). It is preserved (albeit somewhat changed since WR days) which should aid research, you might even get a few MI modellers interested as they could pretend it was restored as well s just preserved.

18100 had a shorter life but had a second incarnation as E2001. It was only used for about 2 years as an AC loco until deliveres of the class 81s rendered it redundant.

GT3 had the shortest service life of not much over a year but it was a curious looking beast in a unique livery. Perhaps that cachet of being "unusual" could work in its favour as modellers are increasingly interested in off-the-wall prototypes.

As a WR modeler, I would definitely be for 18000 or 18100 in N gauge (18000 for preference).