Some nice videos there, faulcon1, and an interesting looking layout.

I hope you won't mind me commenting on the class 30 though. As your model is in original, as-delivered condition, it should have a Mirrlees engine. Bryan of Howes actually responded to the challenge when I made a passing comment about the unlikelihood of getting the correct Mirrlees sounds into a sound project and came up with the goods by using a mix of archive footage and existing Mirrlees sounds from the re-engined class 37 'slugs'.

As you may have noticed from my earlier posts I have both class 30 and 31 sounds from Howes in different members of the class: D5513 (renumbered and updated in livery from an original Hornby D5512 release) and 31 233 in Railfreight sector livery (reblown from the original less convincing Hornby sounds).

Anyway, please don't take this as any form of criticism as I like what you have done. :)

A little footnote about the Warship video. That loco is now 14 years old and was one of a new 'breed' of locos by Bachmann under their "Blue Riband label". Although the loco is not that different to the previous offering by Mainline it has a different mechanism and a lot more weight. 540grams. Unusual in that the prototype only weighed 78 tons so among diesels a real feather weight and the model is a real heavy weight.

Roy.

The Mainline model set new standards in appearance. It was a great pity that they never seemed to run well at all ... mine certainly didn't and neither did any of the others I saw! Bachmann, of course, introduced a very decent mechanism into what was already a good-looking model so it could actually run as well as it looked.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one from me.

This is my Heljan class 33/1, 33 108, with legomanbiffo sound (bought from DC Kits). It uses an ESU LokSound v4 and the standard 23mm round 4 ohm speaker mounted in the underfloor tanks. I have not played all of the functions here but I used several different driving techniques to demonstrate the acceleration, spool down, and idle/coasting behaviours. The horns are playable, using functions F2 and F3. 

I did experiment with different speakers and combinations when I was installing the system but I settled on the single standard speaker as producing the best result for this particular sound project.

Also running around is a Bachmann class 350/1 converted to a SouthWest Trains class 450 using Electra Railway Graphics vinyl overlays. This will eventually receive legomanbiffo's appropriate sounds as well but is currently using a Lenz Silver+ decoder.

Edited by SRman

http://ingletonsidings.com/model-railway-blog/adding-dcc-sound-to-a-Bachmann-class-03/

Please take a look at my blog with video above on adding DDC sound to an OO Bachmann 03. I've used the ZImo MX648F plus the usual sugar cube as recommended by Paul Chetter.

My question is around the speaker. Despite securing the speaker to the chassis with double sided tape and padding the outer edges of the speaker with blutac, I still seem to have a slight rattle/buzz as the loco's engine runs into the upper revs in each gear. Any thoughts? The chip was pre-programmed by DIgitrains so I'm sure all is fine, but would be worth turning the volume down a little? As you can probably see I am new to DCC sound, but no stranger to having expensive locos in bits all over the desk (and often the floor too!)

Paul

• Like 1

Definitely try reducing the volume a bit, first.

If that doesn't work, then I would try different speakers, even another of the same type. Speakers are relatively inexpensive and can vary a bit in quality and behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I have sadly not posted much on here in ages and I am not totally sure this is the right place.

This video I took recently as a tribute to my late Grandad and also to the A4s I love so much.

It features my modded Bachmann A4 Mallard and Hornby Railroad A4 Sir Nigel Gresley done how she was in the late 60s in garter blue with gold lettering and valences removed.

I am happy with how the video came out on my iphone and thought I would share it I hope you enjoy it if you choose to watch it and all comments good and bad are welcome.

Many thanks Rob 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Few Vids :) (edited for SRMans request :) )

All 4 Bachmann 47s with Howse Sound Fitted directly under the grills

Heljan Class 26 again with Howse sound fitted under the fan grill

37901 (hence the odd sound) fitted again with a howse sound decoder and also the correct rood Mod

2 of the 47s seen earlier

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

Hi pheaton. Nice vids but can you tell us a little more about the models, please, particularly with reference to whose sounds are fitted?

Thanks for posting them anyway. :)

Edited by SRman

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the second sound-fitted 0-16.5 Talyllyn Railway model I've built, with another Paul Chetter masterpiece sound file - No1 Talyllyn. He's reworked his J94 file to give a more "narrow gauge" sound, substituted a prototypical GWR whistle, and best of all some "right away" calls from the fireman.

Apologies for the poor video quality from a cheap camera, and the occasional wrong button pressing!

And another one on a yard length of track showing the slow motor control achievable from the Zimo MX648 decoder.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

MGRs :)

An example of legomanbiffo sound, fitted with a smaller bass reflex speaker under the sound grills in a Hornby class 56 (the spool up of the ruston paxman is a joy to behold over and over again)

2 Original Bachmann sound quipped 37s with stock speaker under the grill (my last 2 that have escaped a reblow)

Hornby (resprayed 60) fitted again with stock Hornby sound and speaker

Heljan 58 fitted with howes sound and a bass reflex speaker in the acres of room available inside the loco

• Like 2

http://ingletonsidings.com/model-railway-blog/adding-dcc-sound-to-a-Bachmann-class-03/

Please take a look at my blog with video above on adding DDC sound to an OO Bachmann 03. I've used the ZImo MX648F plus the usual sugar cube as recommended by Paul Chetter.

My question is around the speaker. Despite securing the speaker to the chassis with double sided tape and padding the outer edges of the speaker with blutac, I still seem to have a slight rattle/buzz as the loco's engine runs into the upper revs in each gear. Any thoughts? The chip was pre-programmed by DIgitrains so I'm sure all is fine, but would be worth turning the volume down a little? As you can probably see I am new to DCC sound, but no stranger to having expensive locos in bits all over the desk (and often the floor too!)

Paul

Hi Paul,

Did you get this sorted? I've got three n-gauge locos fitted with the speakers blu-tacked to the bodyshell and they all seem ok, although one of the 37 's took a bit of fettling.

The tac has to be well secured to the body but it only takes a tiny amount to be on the face of the speaker itself and you can get crackling.

I push the stuff into place with the flat of a small screwdriver then pop some insulation tape on the back to help prevent shorts. My clumsiness has blown two decoders when a wire from the speaker has come loose and touched the back of the speaker!!!

Hope you're sorted!

Ian B

• 3 weeks later...

My first ever effort of posting a video clip from my I-Phone, here is WC 34011 'Tavistock' passing the camera phone with a rake of 16T mineral wagons, 90% of my sound locos are fitted with Howes sound, i hope to post some more sound video's later, a big thank you to Andy Y for helping me out after I posted this in the wrong topic.

Edited by Brian Hawkins
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Test shunting.

Two Class 45 Peaks by Bachmann. D55 DCC Sound & Lighting by Bachmann. 45120 DCC Sound by Howes.

Class 55 Deltic by Bachmann & HS 4000 Kestrel by Heljan. Deltic DCC Sound & Lighting by Bachmann. Kestrel DCC Sound & Lighting by Olivia's Trains.

Edited by kitefighter
  • Like 1

The latest projects from me: a class 450 and an update on the class 73.

The class 450 was produced using a Bachmann class 350/1 with slight modifications and Electra Railway Graphics vinyl overlays (see my workbench blog for more details if you are interested). I have now fitted legomanbiffo's sound (from DC Kits). At this stage I have only a single round 4 ohm speaker fitted with no sound chamber but I have a few ideas to improve on this - the biggest problem is lack of space. The initil start up has the air compressor going and pantograph contacting the overhead, so that bit isn't appropriate for the third rail only class 450 but I can live with that!

th_Class450LegomanbiffoSound_zps3360eae4

The other project was to add the LEDs to my class 73, which had previously had Howes' sounds fitted some time ago (it's still an older LokSound v3.5). Bryan of Howes pre=programmed the Aux 1 output for some random flashes and sounds attached to functions F10 and 11. The locomotive has a completely repainted Lima body with a few extra details (correct jumper cables for a 73/0, for example) mounted on a much newer Hornby DCC-ready chassis. I do need to add a small shield where the LEDs project down through the chassis just above, and inside of, the bogie frames at the unpowered end. 

th_HowesClass73wihFlash_zpsd5493e8c.jpg

Edited by SRman