Here's a video of my Class 03 sound project. Gear changes, coasting and no speakers or decoder visible. Cab is unobstructed and driver still has his head. Even cab lights still work. Please see the You Tube original where there are some explanatory notes.

My 'How to' is in the current Hornby Magazine, issue 61.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

Here's a steamer for a change.

Hornby Magazine's Austerity 0-6-0ST has escaped temporalily from 'Bolsover and Seven Lane Pit' and can be seen strutting it stuff (Chuff?) on Holcombe Brook & Tottington branch at the recent MRX in Manchester.

Thanks to Dave for driving this 'foreign' loco. It's a pity my camera's AGC cut out the deceleration sounds, which include rod clank and valve gear. It is still there,but you will have to strain to hear it in the video.

The changes in exhaust beats (attack and volume) are part of the sound project and respond to a mixture of F key and throttle inputs.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

The 03 and the Austerity sound very good, Paul.

After a long hiatus due to my constructing a new layout, and Neil (who helped with previous vids of mine) also constructing not just a new layout but a whole new house to go around it, I have finally got my act together sufficiently to start a few new vids. I actually took some footage back in february but have only now uploaded from the camera and started editing.

The layout has progressed a little further since this video, in that I have put down more ballast and started with the third and fourth rails (the lines seen here are actually the London Transport ones while the upper level will be, when completed, the Southern Region and successors' lines.

When I purchased the Hornby sound-fitted class 31 I was a little unhappy with the sounds as they seemed to be a mix of class 31 and class 37 (essentially with the same English Electric 12 cylinder diesel engines but with different control gear and, hence, different running characteristics). Anyway, to cut a long story short(er!) here is the result after reblowing by Bryan of Howes. It is, by the way, an ESU LokSound v3.5 decoder. The speaker remains exactly as fitted by Hornby but with any holes or gaps sealed up (eg where the wires pass through the plastic chamber).

Apologies for the dodgy camera work: I was trying to operate both camera and train at the same time!

th_HowesReblownClass31.jpg

I do have a higher quality and, therefore, much larger version of this video which I will upload to Photobucket later and probably to Youtube as well.

To follow soon: Howes' class 57, Kestrel and the production version of Howes' class 73 (my previous video of this was a beta test version).

After that, I need to take some new video of Legomanbiffo's class 73 since I have now followed his suggestion and mounted the very large 40 x 28mm speaker in E6012.

Edited by SRman

Two more for the pot!

The Howes class 57 in Bachmann's 57 008 Freightliner Explorer and Howes Kestrel sounds in Heljan's model of same. Once again, slightly dodgy camera work as I was controlling the trains as well and the tripod was a little sticky in its movement in places.

th_HowesClass57.jpg

th_HowesKestrel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK Paul, how did you get that smoke unit in the Austerity? there can't be much left of the standard weight cab there?

Ian,

You are mistaken. All of the boiler weight was intact, until I decided at the last minute to add a stay alive capacitor. So I had to remove the rounded lower section as shown in my earlier Austerity conversion. Otherwise, as standard. I've used it to act as a heat sink to reduce risk to the body which is very very close to the smoke unit.

It lasted all weekend, centre stage, without incident. Job done.

I used a Seuthe No 22 smoke unit.

(And a majic wand!!).

Kind regards,

Harry Potter

• RMweb Gold

470uF as per DCC concepts?

you do have a talent for filling every space I must say.

just checked the #22 datasheet, it's 24mm long so it must protrude below the underside of the weight - that's where my sugar cube is :dontknow:

You've got me going now though, will there be an article in HM sometime soon?

Edited by RedgateModels

470uF as per DCC concepts?

you do have a talent for filling every space I must say.

just checked the #22 datasheet, it's 24mm long so it must protrude below the underside of the weight - that's where my sugar cube is :dontknow:

You've got me going now though, will there be an article in HM sometime soon?

Yes, it's a DCC Concepts' stay alive unit.

Well, the article has been written, but it's only been a few issues ago that they ran my original Austerity 0-6-0, so I think it will have to wait a bit yet.

Paul

Hi,

First attempt at video using the video function on my digital camera, so sorry about the tinny sound and poor lighting etc.

The sound project is very much a 'work in progress' using an ESU V3.5 chip and a bass reflex speaker. I was trying to create a sense of distance and space by keeping the sound volume on the chip down at a relatively low level:

Mike

• 4 months later...

Hi,

With the closure of the Alcan smelter at Lynemouth, Northumberland this year,and the end of the local workings from North Blyth, I've made a little video of my layout to mark this event, featuring a Bachmann sound fitted Class 37.

Here's the link, enjoy.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Fi9ngHzvM

post-7898-0-85341300-1354989516_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 1

My class 03 with zimo sound

th_VIDEO0139.jpg

a class 24 i did for a member at hwmrs again zimo sound

th_VIDEO0142.jpg

another member brought this up to the club last week zimo again and i was very impressed

th_VIDEO0143.jpg

will be adding a zimo class 08 by the end of the month

THanks John

• Like 1

This video has shown how this latest 'Paul Chetter Zimo' has taken sound chips to another level......... :smoke:

As this is a Rail Exclusive special DS fitted loco, why don't they do a BR Blue version? Now that would be something.

Edited by cassey jones

This video has shown how this latest 'Paul Chetter Zimo' has taken sound chips to another level......... :smoke:

As this is a Rail Exclusive special DS fitted loco, why don't they do a BR Blue version? Now that would be something.

Yes a big advance compared to the early sound chips, so much more life like with sound changes with no increase/decrease in speed etc. Hopefully these 47's will be arriving soon ? Along with legomanbiffo's latest Loksound 4's sounds, we sound addicts are spoilt for choice.

• 1 month later...

Yes a big advance compared to the early sound chips, so much more life like with sound changes with no increase/decrease in speed etc. Hopefully these 47's will be arriving soon ? Along with legomanbiffo's latest Loksound 4's sounds, we sound addicts are spoilt for choice.

The 47/0 (Non ETH) and 47/4-47/7 ETH are available, just fitted two this evening + a Class 40 8Pin (Old Model) but the 21Pin is done in anticipation of the new Bachmann Class 40.  The YouTube clips from Legomanbiffo give people a taste and allows comparisons before you spend your dosh.

Just for a little fun, I took a few short videos (using my phone) after working on my friend Doug's number one son's Bachmann class 25 and my own Hornby 4 VEP.

The 25 had a problem with stuttering when the horns (F2 and F3) were sounded but only if the engine sounds (F1) were on at the same time. Cutting a long story short, I eventually had to reset the decoder then reprogram the loco number and alter the volumes (master volume on CV63 and the volume settings on F2 and F3). While I had the 25 body off, I enclosed the existing factory speaker with some Blu-Tack to form an enclosed sound chamber. It is seen in this vid in tandem with my modified Bachmann class 24 with Howes' sound and bass enhanced speaker.

The 25 and 24 are being driven in tandem as I wasn't bothered creating a consist for such a temporary lash-up.

Also circulating was my Hornby blue 4 VEP, in which I have now modified the seating unit for the first class in the trailing driving coach (as it relates to this video). The corridor side now has see through windows from the compartments!

th_VIDEO0014_zps0ed7d957.jpg

Obviously it was a preserved railway train!

Edited by SRman

And a few more 'quickie' videos, taken on my phone. This time they show the Bachmann class 24 D5014 with Howes sound in tandem with a Heljan class 33 D6585 with Digitrains (Paul Chetter's) multi-drive sound, while the Hornby 4 VEP, now fitted with an ESU Lokilot decoder, circulates in the opposite direction. The two diesels were not consisted as I haven't speed matched them - the 24 was running on speed step 43 while the 33 was on speed step 70 and they were almost perfectly matched on those settings!

th_VIDEO0015_zpsf3438ce0.jpg

th_VIDEO0016_zps25eb5747.jpg

th_VIDEO0018_zpsebede55a.jpg

Edited by SRman

... and yet another 'quickie' taken on the phone camera but this time three shorter clips strung together. This shows the Heljan 33 I fitted with a Digitrains (Paul Chetter) Zimo multi-drive decoder and (currently) two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, one bass enhanced in the fuel tanks and one 'sugar cube' in the main body. I still intend experimenting further with speaker combinations.

th_Class33ZimoSound_zps35d32df2.jpg

Edited by SRman