Here's another one from me. This one is of the Kernow Models class 205 2H 'Thumper' unit, 1115. Also in the vid are a pair of Bachmann 2EPBs in multiple (consist).

Apologies for the slightly shaky camera work. I was operating the camera with one hand and the trains with the other!

I also pressed a few of the functions although the guard's bell and driver's buzzer at the start were actually unintended as I accidentally pressed F5!

th_Kernow2H_zpsd9c0d77a.jpg

Edited by SRman

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted this yesterday priced at around £325,looked very good and even though its continental and HO it did not look out of place on the UK scene. Had to then see it in operation and was impressed so thanks to you tube here it is.

Viessmann tamping machine.

enjoy.

Best regards

Sultan

• Like 3

That tamper sounds - and looks - very impressive. As you say it would probably look appropriate for just about any country's railways. Give it a bit of weathering and it will really look the part. 

I wonder how many mortgages one would have to take out to afford it ... ;)

Here is one from me,

its Vi trains class 37 37411 (6990) Caerphilly Castle fitted with the 8 pin ESU V4.0 chip ,SWD sounds ,and 28mm round speaker mounted upwards under the fan but with the outlet holes/gaps inside the body underneath the fan blanked off with tape which I find takes out a lot of background hiss from the sound recording and gives a little more bass without muffling or loosing any volume.

Using FO sound on/off gives the failed starts and then cold engine start can be selected. The start up in the video demonstrates a couple of failed starts and then a coughing and spluttering cold start with the sound loop coming back to a warm engine after several seconds. The regular tapping noise is the air reservoir Spirax auto drain valve and the whirring noise is the priming pump. Loco has a good set of starting batteries.

enjoy,

best regards to all,

Sultan.

http://youtu.be/X3DcPBD5V-c

Here is one from me,

its Vi trains class 37 37411 (6990) Caerphilly Castle fitted with the 8 pin ESU V4.0 chip ,SWD sounds ,and 28mm round speaker mounted upwards under the fan but with the outlet holes/gaps inside the body underneath the fan blanked off with tape which I find takes out a lot of background hiss from the sound recording and gives a little more bass without muffling or loosing any volume.

Using FO sound on/off gives the failed starts and then cold engine start can be selected. The start up in the video demonstrates a couple of failed starts and then a coughing and spluttering cold start with the sound loop coming back to a warm engine after several seconds. The regular tapping noise is the air reservoir Spirax auto drain valve and the whirring noise is the priming pump. Loco has a good set of starting batteries.

enjoy,

best regards to all,

Sultan.

http://youtu.be/X3DcPBD5V-c

I had a spare decoder reblown with these sound files recently. Overall it sounds very good, but the sound transition from the "cold" start to warm running , sounds like 2 different locos, as if the cold start up bit etc was added to an earlier sound recording ? Shame as the cold/failed start up part is impressive.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree  it is quite obvious in the video and the sound volume also seems to reduce a little before the warmed engine blend comes in, I wonder if the "fix" is to drive off just before the end of the cold engine sound ?

I'll try and see.

My camera with its video option does not give the best impression of the 37 sound when the loco comes close to its microphone  and as usual its not as good as hearing the model live, but overall I am pleased with the video clip. I think that the sounds on the chip are very good and driveable with fun using the responsive notching up and down.

A question or two perhaps for Tractor or any 37 enthusiast,

Is the drivers  key receiver located in the engine room fan end? and for a failed start the driver would have to go into the engine room  and turn the key to off and back on  which then allows another start attempt ?

Or simply let the priming pump and cranking time out and push the start button for the sequence to start again.

All adds to loco realism and DCC driver knowledge.

Thanks

best regards

Sultan

Hi Sultan

Afraid I don't know the answers re the drivers key or the real failed start procedures. But I'm sure someone on here will though ?

Your video sounds very good, but will always sound better in the "flesh"  I'm a big fan of the 28mm round speaker, I think it gives better sound quality than a 20x40 oblong version. I have a SWD V3.5  HJ 47 fitted with 2 x 28mm speakers and it really "throbs" giving a good depth to the sound.

The Vi 37 in these clips has 2 x 28mm speakers using Zimo sound - awesome !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np39dh3K1Tg

Regards

Ken

Yes, I agree  it is quite obvious in the video and the sound volume also seems to reduce a little before the warmed engine blend comes in?

Sultan

Apparently the original sound recording as used by SWD was from 37190, a 37/0 with generator. The latest multi-start decoder has a cold/failed start up sequence from a refurbished alternator fitted 37/4-5 etc which have starter motors (2) .  Therefore this sound decoder features 2 different locos, the start up sequence from a refurbished 37, and most/all of the rest from 37190. Hence the sound glitch between the cold and warm running sounds.

Edited by tractor_37260

Thanks for the great interesting information, I would always try to get a 28mm speaker in any OO loco first as it is my preffered choice speaker. Less internals in the VI trains body lends itself to an easier fitting of this size speaker and helps It to act as a good sound box, I would take a photo and show you my unusual method of mounting the speaker inside 37411 but because of the ETH and MU cables which are now  fixed in place and going under the buffers the body removal is difficult.

To mount the speaker in the fan end I have made a small slot in the top of the bulkhead between drivers cab and engine room, ensuring that there is clearance for the bogie to swing  and then pushed one of the speaker enclosure mounting lugs through the slot and secured it with a cut to length cocktail stick going from cab floor to ceiling acting as a securing stake, this becomes invisible when painted matt black and is locked in place when the body is fitted.

Sorry if I have taken the video thread off course

Best regards to  all

Sultan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something a bit different - my O-16.5 scale model of Talyllyn Railway No2 Dolgoch, with a Digitrains/Paul Chetter Zimo decoder and small sugar cube speaker.

Chuff rate amended accordingly:-

http://youtu.be/D0vqZcBAO_I

It's actually not a genuine Dolgoch sound, but Paul's J94 soundfile. The "light engine" mode seems OK for the prototype. All it lacks is a Caledonian hooter to go with the existing one (Dolgoch had two whistles in the 1960's period depicted by the model).

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

That sound project works well in your very nice model.

The exhaust beat synchronisation is very convincing. Your efforts could help others get it right.

Would you be prepared to tell us the values you used in CV267 and CV354, please?

As a matter of interest, I have a version of this project which has the normal whistles plus various blasts from a Caladonian type Hooter (from an 8F, actually). I agree that your model would sound even more convincing with both.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Hi Paul,

I'll admit at my age I'm not that "up to speed" with CV setting, so I use a Sprog programmer with Decoderpro to do my fine-tuning. I just reset the "chuff rate" a few times in the relevant window until I got it right. Unfortunately all my stuff is packed away at the moment while SWMBO gets her way with house redecorating (oh, deep joy!), so I can't tell you what the actual values are.

I'd be very interested in that sound file with the 8f hooter on it!

Cheers

Dave

I forgot to say Paul, I love the way you can "drive" the loco with your sound files. Much better than previous ones I've fitted in 00 steam models. The cylinder drain cocks sound is particularly good, and coasting is very effective.

Cheers

dave

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my Bachmann class 70 fitted with an ESU LokSound v3.5 reblown with Howes' sounds. The container train has a mixture of wagons from Dapol, Realtrack Models and Hornby.

th_HowesBachmannClass70_zps02d19c9d.jpg

Once again, apologies for some slightly shaky camera work as this was also a single-handed venture! :)  At least I used the 'proper' video camera this time, with a tripod!

Edited by SRman

• 4 weeks later...

An update to my previous post about my sound fitted 0-16.5 Talyllyn Railway No2 Dolgoch.

It has been away to Paul Chetter who has kindly done a "re-blow". The exhaust beats have been softened to make it more "narrow gauge" and a few extras such as a guard's whistle added. Best of all is a genuine Caledonian hooter, as fitted to the prototype.

There are two sounds sets - identical save for a slightly harsher exhaust beat on one of them. It's thus possible to replicate the driver changing the cut-off.

Paul has also fitted a larger sugar cube speaker between the frames and the sound quality is much improved.

To say I'm delighted with it is an understatement! :imsohappy:

Cheers

Dave

Edited by talyllyn1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always prefer to see/hear videos of sound-fitted locos running on a layout rather than a rolling road.  Paul Chetter rightly receives a lot of praise for his diesel engine sounds but I think his steam loco sounds are equally praiseworthy.  Judge this one for yourselves (assuming this link works).

Harold.

• Like 2

The subject of speed-matching locos is something that has exercised my mind (and time) quite a lot in recent years and I have twice failed to achieve satisfactory results.  I have read and contributed to the threads about it on this forum and have been keen to succeed in using two sound locos in consist with both locos sound enabled.  Using NCE Powercab and without the aid of a computer I have found it to be very a frustrating procedure at times but perseverence has paid off and i am so pleased with the result this time that I feel compelled to share it with you.  I hope you enjoy watching the video.  It is particularly pleasing to me because, having made a rod for my own back with an extreme gradient from my storage and shed area I need the traction of two (or more!) locos to haul the wagons and coaches.  One might think that, in model form, 1+1 would be less than 2 but I have found that it to be more like 3 although I have yet to find out the maximum length of train this consist can cope with on Struggleup.

Harold.

• Like 4

The subject of speed-matching locos is something that has exercised my mind (and time) quite a lot in recent years and I have twice failed to achieve satisfactory results.  I have read and contributed to the threads about it on this forum and have been keen to succeed in using two sound locos in consist with both locos sound enabled.  Using NCE Powercab and without the aid of a computer I have found it to be very a frustrating procedure at times but perseverence has paid off and i am so pleased with the result this time that I feel compelled to share it with you.  I hope you enjoy watching the video.  It is particularly pleasing to me because, having made a rod for my own back with an extreme gradient from my storage and shed area I need the traction of two (or more!) locos to haul the wagons and coaches.  One might think that, in model form, 1+1 would be less than 2 but I have found that it to be more like 3 although I have yet to find out the maximum length of train this consist can cope with on Struggleup.

Harold.

Hi Harold

Although more of a diesel man - found this inspiring - I'll now need to consider some "proper" sound for my only kettle  - a Black 5.  The matching of the 2 sound locos is impressive, especially as they have different decoder versions fitted.  I've been playing around with a push-pull rake with sound fitted 27's at each end, not with total success, sometimes it works OK  other times the rear loco derails the rake on curves, so it's still work in progress, and I'm working on the flat for the moment with no inclines etc

As you've shown, with time it can be done !

Regards

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

Ken,

Have you thought of converting one of your 27's into a non-powered dummy (still with sound)? That would obviate the need to speed match the two locos. This is exactly how my Hornby HST rake works with a sound chip at both ends. Just a thought.

I had more than one trip hanging out of the window between Waverley and Haymarket on 27 push-pulls! Happy days.

Bif

Hi Harold

Although more of a diesel man - found this inspiring - I'll now need to consider some "proper" sound for my only kettle  - a Black 5.  The matching of the 2 sound locos is impressive, especially as they have different decoder versions fitted.  I've been playing around with a push-pull rake with sound fitted 27's at each end, not with total success, sometimes it works OK  other times the rear loco derails the rake on curves, so it's still work in progress, and I'm working on the flat for the moment with no inclines etc

As you've shown, with time it can be done !

Regards

Ken

Glad you like it, Ken.  When I did this video I thought the wagons might derail on the first bend so I made sure that the train was not bunched up at the start and I can confirm that there wasn't a single problem from then to where the train stops in the loop at the station.  I must confess that at faster speeds (ie beyond speed step 80) there are some speeds where I cannot match in both directions despite using the trim facility.  However, I can't imagine running the consist at speed.  My speed matching was all done on the level - the incline made no difference.

Ken,

Have you thought of converting one of your 27's into a non-powered dummy (still with sound)? That would obviate the need to speed match the two locos. This is exactly how my Hornby HST rake works with a sound chip at both ends. Just a thought.

I had more than one trip hanging out of the window between Waverley and Haymarket on 27 push-pulls! Happy days.

Bif

Bif,

The disadvantage of what you suggest is that, when an incline is encountered, the dummy loco adds weight to the train and might cause wheel-slip.  An additional reason I wanted traction at both ends was to prevent runaways should the couplings separate.  You might have seen in the video a big white patch on the wall at the bend in the middle - a block of polystyrene designed to soften the crash when a coach derails as it descends at speed - hopefully no longer needed!

Harold.

Ken,

Bif

Hi Bif

Yes, that's an idea I'll also consider, it would make sense really, especially as it will probably run as a fixed rake, but inclines if any, on the final layout design, will also have to be factored in.   

Ken