RMweb

864 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

I notice that there is a new version of the Sudio software available - v3.6.057 for which the release notes state "Registration mark thickness now defaults to 0.020 inch for improved registration mark reading. Older documents will retain their previously set value unless the "Restore Defaults" button is pressed."

Thinking that this might be a worthwhile change, I downloaded the file but, when I tried to install it on the elderly machine I use in my workroom, I simply got a message that the software is incompatible with Windows XP and the installer terminated.  Suspecting that this might be a property of the installer, rather than the software, I installed the software on my Windows 7 laptop and then copied the program files over to my XP machine (without making any other changes to the registry etc.)  As far as I can tell so far, it works fine under Windows XP and I can see the change in the registration marks.  Most of the other new features seem to relate to the 'Curio' machine and are not relevant to me at present

I like Windows XP because (a) it works, ( b ) is simple to use, and ( c ) later versions seem to have moved things around purely for the sake of change.  I keep it for my workroom computer because it runs all my older software and has drivers for my Canon scanner.  By contrast, I find Windows 7 tends to 'get in the way' much more often.  I tried the 'free' upgrade to Windows 10 but quickly gave up when I found it had no drivers for my Nvidia card, or my scanner, and various other irritations!

Edited by MikeOxon

How did it go?

It was very well received, the most striking thing was the number of wives who already had one (or something similar). Lots of surprise at the relatively low cost, and I suspect a number will be bought for Christmas presents - shame I wasn't on commission! I think the main stumbling block was that people were unsure if they could actually draw the artwork in the first place, and I tried to persuade them that the Silhouette Studio software was a pretty simple program, or that they could use other things and import.

Jon

• Like 2

Go for the bigger Cameo. It can take up to A3 useful for bigger buildings.

I have not used mine for a while but ran the software and found the upgrade so installed it. have not noticed anything obvious.

I have just bought Drawplus 8 from Serif and at long last the .svg files transfer to the Silhouette software. Of course there is a problem. It arrives about a third bigger. I also prepared a .dxf version and as its size was spot on I was able to read the dimesnions and change the size of the .svg file.

I prepare my originals of DeltaCad, save as a dxf then use Drawplus to colour in before sending to Silhouette for cutting. I got use to this when I still hand cut. I had hoped the layers would transfer to the Sihouette but so far no joy. So I still make sure that any lines to be plotted and/or cut are of recognisable colours. That always works.

I also have on of those Chinese cutters to try out. Cold nights so out come the toys!!!!

Hi any comments on the cameo2 , would you buy it or the Curio , I'm looking at both

Dave

Depends what you are cutting - if its thick go for the narrowest bed because there will be a more even pressure across the width, if its just card then it doesn't much matter, and it will be down to how often you want to cut A3, vs how much space it takes up..

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I have the previous Cameo, and wish I'd gone for the Portrait for the reason that Jon gives (I didn't know about the portrait at the time). I noticed back then that I wasn't getting the pressure other people were getting. I've not used the Cameo much recently, but I can honestly say that I've never needed the extra width that I got. Anything that's long can be oriented to be cut down the page rather than across it.

Your mileage may vary.

Rob,

Is it a constant factor by which you have to resize after importing the svg file into Studio?   There was some discussion earlier in the thread about resizing problems, though I haven't checked back to see what was the issue, or the resolution of the problem.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Sorry I have been away so only just seen this. To be honest that hadn't occurred to me so I will check when I next do an import to see.

Edited by Rob Pulham

Hi Rob,

Yes I can see your dilemma, like many things in life there's no going back!   :nono:

Thanks very much for the info on the louvres. I assumed rightly or wrongly that the diagram you have shown is a front elevation not a plan, that the square rod is horizontal front to back of the louvre panel with its face end 'cropped' at say 60° with the strips glued across the face. This is the best I can describe what I mean, hope you interpret it correctly.

I used the term 'cropped' as I noted in one of you other posts that you possess one of these excellent devices, there is a certain very skilled modeller in another Forum who uses one of these to spectacular effect.

attachicon.giflouvres.pdf  This may explain what I have visualised.

Roly

Hi Roly,

Sorry about the delay in replying to your query on my diagram, sorry no it's a plan view and having looked at your louvres pdf I had initially thought about making them in a similar fashion but I tried the square rod to get an idea of how it would look.

To be honest even in 7mm scale I am not sure that it would be worth the extra effort to get them at an angle because they look pretty good as they are and, they are quite fiddly to assemble and might be a nightmare if they were at an angle - that said I do have the cutter so I may have a go just to scratch the itch....

Hi, I demoed my portrait to surrey area group of 7mm Narrow Gauge association at our modelling day at the weekend, well received, but quite a few asked if you could cut veneer or thin ply or balsa. Any experience with this, does it cut ok, or does the grain grab the blade?

Thanks

Leigh

A slightly different take on using the Portrait for modelling - vinyl artwork for the layout fascia

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72130-newport-maesglas-n-gauge-wagon-repair-depot-formerly-stuarts-lane/?p=2094502

I'm really happy with the results, may be of interest to the readers of this thread. I just used the default vinyl setting in the Silhouette software

Jo

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The weekend was probably the most productive that I have had in modelling terms for months or so it seemed.

With the success of the matchboard Jubilee vans I decided to have a go at assembling the body for an NBR (another NBR subject I know...... and I don't even model the NBR). Bogie CCT.

I had noticed this while checking out prospective subjects in Historic carriage drawings volume 3 (the blue NPCS book page 57) and what appealed is that they made it to BR days and they got down at least as far as Bridlington (the photo accompanying the drawing was taken at Bridlington in 1953).

I have had a go at this primarily as a prelude to having a go at a coach.

IMG_9531_zpsyvvsvkvx.jpg

IMG_9536_zpsi9veluww.jpg

IMG_9541_zpsmw9hfu5f.jpg

IMG_9546_zpslab5mxrp.jpg

IMG_9556_zpskla5ns1p.jpg

And finally to to give an idea how big it actually is - this is it with the Jubilee van sat on top of it.

IMG_9561_zps5jgtkwpe.jpg

The post above is a duplicate of that which I have posted on my wagon workbench thread but I thought that I would share it as a view top what I have been managing with the silhouette now that I have the hang of it.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Amazing CCT. Did you cut the ends or are they casting, more info definitely needed :)

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

All cut with the silhouette, except the hinge pins which are 0.8mm styrene rod. The ends are 3 layers of 20 thou with the hinges and other iron work from 10 thou.

This is a section of the artwork for the ends.

post-6713-0-28483100-1450816530.jpg

post-6713-0-34257700-1450816701.jpg

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 2

Guest Nevadablue

I think you just sold me on the machine Rob, thanks! I think my wife will like some of the features of the curio so that's probably going to be the choice.

Guest Nevadablue

I showed the machine to my wife and she said 'get it'! Now to decide which accessories to order with it. Thanks again for this great thread.

Guest Nevadablue

Oh, I just sent an email to the maker of the Curio. I'm seeing a large base (8.5 x 12) advertised for sale, but 'unavailable'. So, I'll report back if/when I get a reply from the maker.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I just sent an email to the maker of the Curio. I'm seeing a large base (8.5 x 12) advertised for sale, but 'unavailable'. So, I'll report back if/when I get a reply from the maker.

Hi

They must just be out of stock as I got one with my curio back in November.

Cheers

Paul