Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

I will be staggered if Bachmann do this. The B12 has been in Hornby's stable for decades and, maybe more pertinently, Bachmann has shown very little interest in ex-GER equipment. With Hornby having just announced the Claud and the J15, my guess is a new B12 will be in Hornby's next set of announcements, or maybe the one after.

Paul

Well they were going to produce a J15. Whether they think there is demand for a retooled B12 bearing in mind the numbers sold is a different question.

• RMweb Gold

I banking on a revised 43xx and (still) hoping for a new Toad Brake van....

Is it still a month away? What date is the announcement?

I think a retooled 'Manor' is more likely than a 43XX - there were internal whisperings among Bachmann folk last year at Ally Pally and occasional questioning of Western inclined punters seeking their views.  But when it will be is a different issue - if indeed it happens at all.

Lord Nelson, GW 43XX etc are non runners IMV.........Folk already have one and they won't attract 100% market. I think only the B12 will crack that one seeing as the original was such a poor representation. There are so many locos that haven't been done but it is about imagining what will sell in huge quantities. I have very few of my own coaches because I don't produce what I fancy but what I think other people will fancy. It is more of a gut feeling than anything scientific. Actually I have a gut feeling the Q6 0-8-0 would sell well once people see it despite its regional shortcomings, but if I were Bachmann I would produce the preserved J27 first (0-6-0's seem to be popular) to judge its popularity and hope that it creates a new NER market. If it does, then the Q6 is a natural follow-up and so it goes......B16, D20 etc....

the 2014/2015 catalogues are available week commencing 21st July not sure of the exact delivery date. weve got ours on stock order. retailers will be at Bachmann head office the weekend of 20th for a look at samples, catalogues and forth coming releases. im looking forward to the new releases both as a retailer and a modeler 

• RMweb Gold

surely this has to be the year of the glorious 21T hopper and variants? The old Dapol tooling is very long in the tooth, and the Parkside models are rather fiddly.

I think a Q6 is a good outside bet, and an Austin 7? I'd also like to see a Swindon 120 from them too.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

What about a Class 11 shunter. If anyone says it looks too much like an 08, it has more differences than a Grange does with a Saint in later day service. Different cab, running plate height, driving wheel diameter are common to both comparisons. The class 11 has a different arrangement of engine doors, running plate boxes, handrails and lights compared to an 08.

As noted in a previous post of mine the class carried 5 main liveries, along with the very similar WR 350 shunters with their pseudo GWR livery with BR lettering.

yes the next round of new models is no doubt anticipated by many. only 3 weeks to go....

at least the APT-E can be excluded from the guesswork now.

maybe this year will be one of just new numbers or liveries rather than brand new models???? every year we expect new models but perhaps Bachmann will ease off the gas this year especially as its a short 3/4 year this time??

be great to see all new MK3 loco hauled vehicles introduced although i would dread the cost to put together a decent length rake cost wise....

Bachmann have said there will be 3 newly tooled items, would have been 4 with the J15. Im going on the assumption that they wont announce two 0-6-0 tender engines in one year.

I agree with a lot of peoples suggestions of the LNWR 0-6-2 coal tank, which leaves two left and a possible introduction for NER classes, again the G5 would be a good choice they werealso seen on the GER and has a new build project in progress. My final prediction is a B16, mainly an NER locomotive but could be seen from York to Nottingham down to Leicester and March.

We shall see in 3 weeks time.

• RMweb Premium

surely this has to be the year of the glorious 21T hopper and variants?

I don't think it would take Hornby much more than a new body moulding to backdate their Tope to a rebuilt 21-tonner with BR brake gear that would cover the 1970s onwards.  The original rivetted and welded bodies, plain axleboxes and NER-style brake gear would require effectively new models, but the same assembly scheme could be used.

I've no idea why they haven't done any of that but perhaps it's putting Bachmann off.

Bachmann have said there will be 3 newly tooled items, would have been 4 with the J15. Im going on the assumption that they wont announce two 0-6-0 tender engines in one year.

I agree with a lot of peoples suggestions of the LNWR 0-6-2 coal tank, which leaves two left and a possible introduction for NER classes, again the G5 would be a good choice they werealso seen on the GER and has a new build project in progress. My final prediction is a B16, mainly an NER locomotive but could be seen from York to Nottingham down to Leicester and March.

We shall see in 3 weeks time.

so steam era only items you feel?

so steam era only items you feel?

Im afraid so this year and thats coming from a mainly D&E modeller, my main reasoning being that we still havent seen any samples of the Class 24/0 and 43 yet. I do feel they might announce a Class 20 upgrade at some point though to incorporate lights.

What I think will be announced:

• A steam loco in a pretty livery. What first comes to my mind: Metropolitan Railway no. 1, Caledonian Railway no. 828 and the South Eastern & Chatham Railway H & P class locos.
  • Some coaches. The real coaches are probably preserved and the models would give a reasonable rake as used on the preserved railway in question. It would support previous models previously released or announced. I would guess the Bluebell Railway's Chesham set or another of the pre-gouping Maunsell liveried Southern coaches, given the various Bluebell locos and Sheffield Park station.
  • Not sure for the third model but I get the feeling that it will be something diesel/electric related.

If they are released soon after the announcement, Met 1 and the Chesham Set would be good as it could tie in with the steam runs on the London Underground

I have it on good authority that it will NOT be the Adams Radial Tank, mainly because I haven't yet had time to start my Martin Finney kit, let alone finish it.

I do though intend to start it next year, so it's a fair bet it will be announced then............................................... :locomotive:

With the success of the J11, I'd like to see the J21 or maybe something from the Western Region. I would also like Bachmann to produce the Midland version of the 2P 4-4-0 to compete with Hornby's outdated LMS Version. They could probably produce the MR 2F 0-6-0 since the 3F and 4F are becoming popular with Steam era modelers like myself.

• RMweb Gold

Although I'm not a WR modeller, surely a properly proportioned model of the Mogul is long overdue.

Any GW or WR layout without a smattering of these is a bit like a model of an ex-LSWR main line with no S15s........

Or did the prototypes vary enough to make the 43xx family a bit of a minefield?

John  

• RMweb Gold

Dcc ready j39 and what ever else is still split chassis. And maybe a GWR 2-8-0 night owl, to promote the new build project.

Any further re-chassis jobs will presumably be outside the 3 'new tooling' items promised.

The J39 is getting urgent for a mate of mine as two of his six are showing their age quite badly with the remainder being worked more intensively to cover for them. 

One of my Lord Nelsons bit the dust a couple of years ago but the other is still going strong. 

John

• RMweb Premium

I think a retooled 'Manor' is more likely than a 43XX - there were internal whisperings among Bachmann folk last year at Ally Pally and occasional questioning of Western inclined punters seeking their views.  But when it will be is a different issue - if indeed it happens at all.

That's interesting, seeing as how tight-lipped Bachmann always is about future models. I can see that a namer might be of more interest than a loco that is not, but I for one have been waiting for a DCC ready (i.e. upgraded chassis) 43xx and will continue to do so even if a Manor comes first. The 43xx is much more useful for creating secondary route passenger trains in England (Taunton - Barnstaple/Minehead immediately spring to mind).

But before announcing any new retooled chassis, please can Bachmann complete the ones already announced - e.g. the Ivatt 2-6-2T.

Archived