Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Now that it is June ;

1:  Have any details of the actual date/event regarding the announcements been released ?

I was wondering the same thing... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Do I get the feeling that this thread has turned into a Southern Railway wishlist, in much the same that the Hornby threads usually turn into a LNER/NER wishlist?

Can I redress the eastern balance on here by suggesting that the Q6 would be good choice..........

Cheers,

Mick

I reckon that the Q6 has been a front runner for quite some time now and I think perhaps some of the more, shall we say, "vocal" elements may have actually if inadvertently delayed it's release! ;-)

I feel certain we'll see a standard 2MT mogul first though.

All in good time though!

Going ever so slightly OT, can you confirm what are the main areas that would need improving?

I'm detailing a number of the Hornby coaches vs prototype pics, aside from the corridor gangway area, are there any other recommendations for attention?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

I'm used to the quality of European coaches, so some of my expectations may be quite high and would certainly push the unit cost up!

I'd like to see:

- End detailing parts for end-of-train/yard vehicles (pipes, wiring, etc.)

- Decent end-doors, or at least some kind of vestibule detailing with glazed entrance doors to the passenger compartment

- Correct, multi-colour interiors with individual seats rather than solid, plastic lumps

- Lighting/provision for lighting

- Smoked glazing

- Window stickers, as appropriate

- Bogies with holes where they should be (between springs and bogie frame, if I remember correctly), not solid lumps of plastic

- Disc brakes

- Emergency entrance steps underneath doors

- NEM close-couplings

- An overall feel of 'model' rather than 'toy'. I haven't got an example to hand, but I seem to recall the body not feeling very solid, the underfame squeezing up into the body, etc. Obviously, this can add to weight (which could do with being increased), but modern motors should be able to cope with this

That's a far from exhaustive list, but if you want some idea of the sort of quality I mean, try:

http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_F/Home_F.htm

http://www.acmetreni.it/index.php/en/

If Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol could get to half that quality, it would mark a major increase in standards!

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Michael

PS I'm sure others will have further suggestions, ideas, criticisms...

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

I'm used to the quality of European coaches, so some of my expectations may be quite high and would certainly push the unit cost up!

I'd like to see:

- End detailing parts for end-of-train/yard vehicles (pipes, wiring, etc.)

- Decent end-doors, or at least some kind of vestibule detailing with glazed entrance doors to the passenger compartment

- Correct, multi-colour interiors with individual seats rather than solid, plastic lumps

- Lighting/provision for lighting

- Smoked glazing

- Window stickers, as appropriate

- Bogies with holes where they should be (between springs and bogie frame, if I remember correctly), not solid lumps of plastic

- Disc brakes

- Emergency entrance steps underneath doors

- NEM close-couplings

- An overall feel of 'model' rather than 'toy'. I haven't got an example to hand, but I seem to recall the body not feeling very solid, the underfame squeezing up into the body, etc. Obviously, this can add to weight (which could do with being increased), but modern motors should be able to cope with this

That's a far from exhaustive list, but if you want some idea of the sort of quality I mean, try:

http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_F/Home_F.htm

http://www.acmetreni.it/index.php/en/

If Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol could get to half that quality, it would mark a major increase in standards!

I hope that helps,

Regards,

Michael

PS I'm sure others will have further suggestions, ideas, criticisms...

Perfect thanks for the listing Michael!

The bogie/spring air suggestion is something I'll have a look at incorporating - I've got the scale corridor connections working and especially looking forward to modelling some flexible jumper cables running between the coaches now!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST05.jpg

I know just what you mean about the interiors though, had a major surgery operation on my poor passengers -

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST11.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST10.jpg

Not sure on whether to go whole hog with the DCC lighting I'm not great on electronics, will have the sound through-wired for the power cars so may have a dabble!

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks guys!

Cheers

James

• RMweb Premium

The bogie/spring air suggestion is something I'll have a look at incorporating - I've got the scale corridor connections working and especially looking forward to modelling some flexible jumper cables running between the coaches now!

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST05.jpg

I know just what you mean about the interiors though, had a major surgery operation on my poor passengers -

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST11.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST10.jpg

Not sure on whether to go whole hog with the DCC lighting I'm not great on electronics, will have the sound through-wired for the power cars so may have a dabble!

Cheers

James

That's a bit empty for a typical FGW service................... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking something similar. One thing I would like to see, are passengers ready to plant onto seats in coaches, and units, etc, that come in quite a significant number. Not 6 for 6 kiwd, more like 100 for £20-25.

You can get some ebay bargains in passengers. Chinese, and the colours can be a bit whacky, but very cheap. Frankly, the visibility through windows is such that a representation of the human form clothed is most of what is wanted on an operating layout.

To date I have only found the Belgian Mistral models - their X3800 Picasso SNCF railcar - with painted passengers already in place.

You can get some ebay bargains in passengers. Chinese, and the colours can be a bit whacky, but very cheap. Frankly, the visibility through windows is such that a representation of the human form clothed is most of what is wanted on an operating layout.

To date I have only found the Belgian Mistral models - their X3800 Picasso SNCF railcar - with painted passengers already in place.

Yes I have noticed some, but am very sceptical about ordering such things from overseas. Also think that a company is missing out on this, given the way that the market is going with internal detail being something that will start to matter more - especially if its going to start being lit up...

• RMweb Gold

Yes I have noticed some, but am very sceptical about ordering such things from overseas. Also think that a company is missing out on this, given the way that the market is going with internal detail being something that will start to matter more - especially if its going to start being lit up...

I've had no problems ordering cheap items from China. The biggest "problem" was the order for 90 trees. It arrived after about 10 days - and the next day another, identical order arrived, too! Of course, this is France, so the UK may have a different regime for such parcels on handling fees etc.

• RMweb Premium

I have some nominally HO unpainted seated figures from China. They aren't all particularly  well moulded (but ok for coach interiors) and appear to be knock-off copies from various figure and other sets. How else do you account for the two top-hatted figures in double-breasted greatcoats, one with a set of aiguilettes (looped braid on the chest), who appear to be derived from a possibly royal horse and carriage set! On the other hand the old ladies with shopping bags are great. For period models up to the early '60s the painted sets are generally too garish IMHO.

Pete

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST05.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST11.jpg

0-0-0-0-0-0aaaHST10.jpg

Cheers

James

That's pretty impressive, James.

I have to say, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to paint all of those seats, table tops, etc. Also, I like the number of passengers, not the odd one or two dotted around that you sometimes see.

If I'm not mistaken, those are Lima bogies, right? If memory serves, they don't suffer from the overly 'solid' moulding of the later (!) Hornby offerings - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Now, you say you're installing through-wiring, how about a speaker in each coach to immitate the air-conditioning and other electrical systems, etc. when the train is at a stop? Only kidding!

Have a good weekend,

Michael

• RMweb Premium

If you're adding sound, how about all those passengers jabbering on their mobiles....    "I'M ON THE TRAIN!!!!".....

• RMweb Premium

Two days ago I gave the crystal ball a clean and saw what they will not be making, it looked grey with a blue stripe along its side and it was very streamlined. It might have been the APT-E. I hope this is fresh news to everyone.

It’s nearly July so it will soon be time to put away the crystal ball. Stop mind reading, you should have seen what the Bachmann staff were thinking at the GCR show, very nice but again not model railways. And chatting up the waitress in the Authentic Peking Cantonese Restaurant, who has a cousin who works in the factory in China.

I think we all know it will be the largest class of diesels that BR had, which has never been modelled, not even in kit form. As for liveries they carried LMS, WD, BR black, BR green and BR blue. There were six almost identical machines that were in pseudo GWR livery with British Railways lettering complete with brass number plates, to later wear BR black, then BR green liveries.

My crystal ball also threw up the Coal Tank plus an alternative history:  J.M.Dunn became shedmaster at Lees 26F in 1954 and promptly wrote to his employers....." The Coal Tanks are wasted in South Wales. Those economical little kettles were ideal for the two-coach Motor Trains on the Delph service and as they had been at Lees until 1939, his men knew them backwards (and forwards)".  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

My crystal ball also threw up the Coal Tank plus an alternative history:  J.M.Dunn became shedmaster at Lees 26F in 1954 and promptly wrote to his employers....." The Coal Tanks are wasted in South Wales. Those economical little kettles were ideal for the two-coach Motor Trains on the Delph service and as they had been at Lees until 1939, his men knew them backwards (and forwards)".  :biggrin_mini2:

To be fair, those Coal Tanks were wasted in Wales.....

Just can't have enough panniers....

I'd still reckon that Bachmann might try to make a Great Central brake van, to go with those cracking 0-6-0s & 2-8-0s. Perhaps a Club issue?

Loco wise, apart from the 64xx, Midland 1F, and (possibly) a Coal Tank, how about an USATC 2-8-0? They got as far as Aberdare...

Aberdare.... Oh no, dark room....

Ian

I think the SR Lord Nelson is the most likely to be retooled Loco.

I am still hoping for a NER engine, mostly a G5 0-4-4T, a J21 0-6-0 would be great too.  But I will just have to wait (patiently) for the announcement.

I think I will be surprised whatever they announce.

I must get back to some more modelling.

Mark in OZ

I'm revising my earlier guess and adding a B12 to the list ...

I will be staggered if Bachmann do this. The B12 has been in Hornby's stable for decades and, maybe more pertinently, Bachmann has shown very little interest in ex-GER equipment. With Hornby having just announced the Claud and the J15, my guess is a new B12 will be in Hornby's next set of announcements, or maybe the one after.

Paul

Archived