As most of you are probably aware we recently opened Chester Model Centre on Bridge Street Rows in the former Modelzone premises.

Following an unprecedented increase in business during our first few months we decided to fully re-locate from Penketh and concentrate in making the Chester branch a unique experience for the railway and kit modeler.

The business has continued to grow and we are now in a position to fully stock and open the upper floor. A re-fit will commence on Monday 12th May we aim to be completed by Thursday 15th May.

Once completed we aim to provide the largest selection of railway, accessories, scalextric, die-cast, remote control and military models, wargames in the North West. Future additions will include a comprehensive collection of railway, transport, military, aviation and bus books, many at discounted prices.

There will also be a seated area with hot drinks available. A full selection of all the latest transport and modeling magazines will also be available to purchase. This is the second phase of our plans. Items can still be dropped off and collected from Penketh with prior arrangement.

Chester Model Centre are pleased to announce that Pete Waterman, OBE, DLL, will officially open the newly stocked and refurbished upper floor of our new premises in Bridge Street, Chester at 11:30am on 14th June 2014.

Pete Waterman is one of the country’s best known railway enthusiast’s from his magnificent “O” Gauge layout depicting Leamington Spa and ownership and preservation work on both steam and diesel locomotives.

He has written several books which will be available for signing on the day together with his railway DVD’s.

Book Law Publications will be opening a large section of the shop with their full range of transport and related books, many of which are available at substantial discounted prices.

Glen and Carol from GC Weathering will also be in attendance offering help and advice on all aspects of weathering. Weathered locomotives will be available for sale or you can bring your own loco or rolling stock and they will be happy to discuss any special requirements you may have and take your order for that special finish.

• Like 5

Called in today on my very first visit to Chester.All I can say is "I wish I lived in Chester" its a fantastic shop - not fully complete yet but lots of Hornby stuff already out. Great 2nd hand section but most of all a warm welcome from a very friendly proprietor. Loads of space and I am sure it will be brilliant when finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Only just found about this, wish I had known at the weekend when I was in the area!

Will call in next time I am in Chester, good luck with it Paul. Shame the Penketh shop has closed though.

Pete

Ps do you stock evergreen styrene products? I'm in the process of building an engine shed but have run out :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Visited today (Sunday) and was well impressed with this real gem of a model shop back to how it used to be in the old Arts & Crafts tradition, and open on a Sunday !!!!!

Plenty of 'Red Hornby Boxes' .....well done Paul been a long time since I've seen such a plentiful range ...... and loads of Blue boxes too !!!! A good selection of up today books is available as well a loads of bits and pieces for all ones modelling needs.

The Shop was quite busy too for a Sunday as certainly its easy to park in Chester on this day of the week compared to other days.

I really hope that the local modellers support this new shop as one can see that a lot of hard work and financial risk has gone it this venture

Best of luck to you all :sungum:

Can I just echo postings here.

I popped in just before they had fully moved. What a fantastic shop, and the Railway department isn't just extensive, it's huge too.

For those that model aircraft they also have a great selection of hard to get at kits from most the main manufacturers plus models that have been out of general circulation for a good few years.

Totally recommended for a visit and in a very nice location too.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Chester Model Centre carries the full range of Evergreen and related styrene products. It's not just railways, its kits, Tv-related, Radio controlled models, Scalextric, Corgi, Warhammer etc etc. Come along and see what is probably the largest stocked model shop in the North West. Open 7 days a week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chester Model Centre carries the full range of Evergreen and related styrene products. It's not just railways, its kits, Tv-related, Radio controlled models, Scalextric, Corgi, Warhammer etc etc. Come along and see what is probably the largest stocked model shop in the North West. Open 7 days a week.

I'll drive over to see you on Monday 28th when I'm up in Prestatyn!

Looking forward to it...

David

• RMweb Premium

As promised I popped in today for a look-see; very impressed with the ranges and varieties of stock on display, and the prices seemed pretty good too - so much so I walked out with a Tornado Pullman train pack for a third off the price!!

Highly recommended; another satisfied customer here...

David

• Like 1

I wish I had known about this last week. I called at the Penketh shop only to find it closed with not even a sign saying they had re-located.

Frank

Frank

Sorry you hadn't heard about our move. We moved early in the year with coverage in most of the magazines. A sign was in in the window for over 4 months and the property has been turned into a domestic property hence the sign being removed. Hope to see you in the new Chester shop. Kind regards, Paul

I wish I had known about this last week. I called at the Penketh shop only to find it closed with not even a sign saying they had re-located.

Frank

Frank

Sorry you hadn't heard about our move. We moved early in the year with coverage in most of the magazines. A sign was in in the window for over 4 months and the property has been turned into a domestic property hence the sign being removed. Hope to see you in the new Chester shop. Kind regards, Paul

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I used to frequent Penketh Models whenever I was in the environs of Warrington - usually with a parallel visit to Arpley yard....... (or travelling to/from Liverpool Airport)

Also a reasonably regular customer of Penketh at model railway shows.

Now they've relocated to Chester, they're just a bit too far for a casual visit.

However, I had a recent issue with another well known model shop and Chester Model Centre came up trumps with the item at a very good price. And quickly delivered. I will be monitoring their website whenever I need anything.

If I'm in the Chester area, I will be detouring via the shop.

I wish Paul and his team every success.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to say I ordered a solitary Mk3 coach from Chester MC. We had a bit of a comedy of errors over several weeks, but at all times Chester were helpful. I was concerned as the item in question was out of stock elsewhere, but despite the delay I now have the item required to make up a set, and Chester made sure I was not out of pocket and they made sure I was left more than satisfied despite a few problems. I have no hesitation in saying their customer service overall was excellent. I have used them before with no problems, and it is reassuring that even when things do occasionally go awry they put me, the customer first. Thanks :)

• RMweb Premium

I've popped in a couple of times this year. Very impressive, both downstairs as well as upstairs.

Quick question though, whereabouts do they ferret the 2nd hand stock away?

When I was there during Summer the 2nd hand stuff was mixed in with the new stock, and nothing was marked with a price, so I had to keep going and asking 'is this new?' and 'how much?' which was a chore and I quickly gave up; the only flaw in an otherwise excellent shop.

David

I've popped in a couple of times this year. Very impressive, both downstairs as well as upstairs.

Quick question though, whereabouts do they ferret the 2nd hand stock away?

Hi Dave, unfortunately we don't get as much second hand stock as we did when we were at Penketh and doing the shows most weekend. I have recently taken on extra staff and in the new year the cabinets and shelves will be more themed to manufacturers/second hand etc. Work will start on improving the webpage both visually and together with an EPOS system which will improve our listings. Regards, Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visited yesterday to grab some peco items for this weekends task. Hadn't been in the shop for a year or so and it has changed a bit. The section in front of you at the top of the stairs, that used to be all model railways, including a centre display rack, is now all model aircraft kits etc and diecast buses and the centre racking has gone.

Still a fair bit of model railways by the till area, but a mere fraction of what it used to be. I assume they give prominence to what sells most for them. Guessing model kits etc have more of a footfall purchase than model railways. My own buying habits probably back that up, as despite this being my local model shop, I've not been there in a year, picking up most things either online or at shows. It was only because I need some things in a hurry that I popped in yesterday.

• 1 year later...

Agree with above post. The shop has changed with far less stuff than previously. I used to spend quite a bit in there when upstairs was full, but now i always leave feeling somewhat disappointed. Any ideas what brought the change on?

Agree with above post. The shop has changed with far less stuff than previously. I used to spend quite a bit in there when upstairs was full, but now i always leave feeling somewhat disappointed. Any ideas what brought the change on?

The shop carried the whole range of Hornby product when Hornby was operating their "Concession" scheme.  When that was discontinued, a large quantity of stock vanished off the shelves overnight and the shop became very bare.  I suppose stock levels of Hornby in particular, and railway stuff in general depends on what the retailer can afford to maintain.  If there's stuff that shifts at a more constant rate, or is available at a preferential rate, then that will be on display.

For example, when I was last there, there were more car models of various types, occupying shelf space that used to be devoted to railways.

• Like 1

The shop carried the whole range of Hornby product when Hornby was operating their "Concession" scheme.  When that was discontinued, a large quantity of stock vanished off the shelves overnight and the shop became very bare.  I suppose stock levels of Hornby in particular, and railway stuff in general depends on what the retailer can afford to maintain.  If there's stuff that shifts at a more constant rate, or is available at a preferential rate, then that will be on display.

For example, when I was last there, there were more car models of various types, occupying shelf space that used to be devoted to railways.

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of that. That's a shame. It really was an Aladdin's cave of goodies. There's the odd bit that catches my eye now but nothing like there used to be.