The Furness Valley Railroad

chaz

Chaz - see the Leesburg link below

Jeff, thanks for that very rapid response - I followed your link and studied your photos. I like the look of your road surfaces that have the sort of colour and texture I might well use. Your track ballast looks rather better than I want for my passing and storage sidings, which I want to look rather more run down and neglected - although I might use something similar for the main.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Actually looking at my photos again makes me think that the ballast looks a bit sparse....the ME track only has thin ties so if the ends are exposed the thickness or lack of it becomes a bit obvious.

Thin ties will obviously affect the look. As you will have seen from my photos most of the ties on my layout are substantial. However the turnouts all have six PCB ties which are thinner than the 1/8" balsa wood ones. That does leave a space under these ties - I haven't previously given this any thought - I suppose I just expected the ballast to fill the space, but maybe I need to slip some packing under them so that they can exhibit the same look where the ballast tapers off.

Chaz

The corner fillet takes shape.

P1060915%20600%20x%20450_zpstmrjn3a0.jpg

I installed a simple support from three pieces of pine.

P1060917%20600%20x%20450_zpsup4obrwz.jpg

I screwed a piece of hardboard in place and put my usual weave of cereal box card in, fixed with the hot-glue gun.

P1060918%20600%20x%20450_zpskmgzn3i8.jpg

I added two layers of kitchen paper, glued with PVA.

P1060919%20600%20x%20450_zps1uxb4nip.jpg

Then I got impatient and put on a layer of paper mache mix. As I hadn't waited for the PVA to harden the weave sagged a bit under the weight of the mix. A couple of sheets of newspaper scrunched into balls and inserted from underneath will support the form until the glues have dried and the shell hardens off. On past experience at this time of year this will take a while.

Chaz

• Like 3

I was going to put a building in this corner with a retaining wall to support the hillside behind it but after discussing this with Sue we decided it would look contrived and not very convincing.

P1060917%20600%20x%20450_zpsup4obrwz.jpg

So I abandoned that idea and just extended the valley side around behind the curve of the track (more bl**dy trees needed.   :crazy: ).

P1060920-2%20600%20x%20381_zpszyrcrreg.j

First step was to put in some thick card formers over which a weave of cereal box card could be glued.

I was disappointed that the crib wall that I put in over by the tunnel can only just be glimpsed through the trees so I thought another section would work behind the tracks in the station. I made one up by glueing timbers to a piece of black foamboard. Whilst it was still on the bench I glued sand into the vertical faces between the timbers.

P1060922-2%20600%20x%20165_zps8wz0elvc.j

A test fit of the crib wall in position.

P1060923-3%20600%20x%20313_zpsh9m1qpzr.j

I test run a Bachmann 2-8-0 and a ten wheeler to check that the overhang of the loco' was not going to conflict with the wall.

P1060925-2%20600%20x%20476_zpshsyjxfpb.j

Having completed the card weave I glued kitchen roll over the top. First I brush on neat PVA.

P1060929-2%20600%20x%20450_zpsv86sxb0x.j

Then I place a square of kitchen paper and dribble on some 50/50 PVA/water mix and brush it all over the paper.

P1060930-2%20600%20x%20450_zps0tvy9gw9.j

A second layer of paper can be added also brushed with the 50/50 mix.

P1060932-2%20600%20x%20346_zpstks1jj9e.j

that final photo' shows the progress so far. The odd colours are the paper towels that I added as a top layer. Later they will disappear under a layer of paper mache. The very narrow slope above the crib wall is thick card (picture framing offcuts) - no need for a weave here, and probably no need for paper mache either as any trees will be half relief like the ones over the tunnel.

At the moment the wall just ends level with the west end of the storage siding. I can't decide how to carry on the scenery here until I design the next section - which will include a loading spur, a foundry building and some sheds etc.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

You know you are confessing to making it up as you go along  :jester:

Seems to be working out pretty well. No matter how much pre-planning you do you still cannot beat actually seeing how things look and making changes where it improves the look. I am rather tempted to do a light railway in the same manner just start at one end and see what can fit. But there is only one space and that would mean goodbye to Dolgelley and all my GWR stuff. I could build a portable light railway terminus but there would be no room to store the baseboards for any open main line besides I probably haven't got time to build both and build all the kits.

Don

You know you are confessing to making it up as you go along  :jester:

Don

And what's wrong with that? :sarcastichand:

"making it up as you go along" = revising the design to improve it.  :whistle:

Well, I do have a reasonably clear idea of how I am going to arrange Stoke's Ferry (honest!) but that corner was always going to be a problem. Moving the foundry (kit still to be assembled) to the west will make more sense - the spur off the storage siding will serve it nicely. BUT it does mean making a lot more trees. I like making trees (honest!).

I'm out at Magdalen Down reserve today on a volunteer work party - so the PVA will have plenty of time to dry out.

Chaz

• Like 1

Looking good Chaz, like your method of doing the scenery profile, me thinks I will try that method myself on Verwood Creek when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Can I make one comment though and that is your tie bar on your switches, I think based on track diagrams I have should not be as long as the two ties either side for the switch stand. The connection between the tie bar and switch stand is usually a metal rod. But however you might have evidence otherwise as my evidence is based on information of the D&RGW RR and I have not got the time to go off looking at other railroads. Got a Depot building to get on with and not a lot of time to get it done.

John     

Looking good Chaz, like your method of doing the scenery profile, me thinks I will try that method myself on Verwood Creek when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Can I make one comment though and that is your tie bar on your switches, I think based on track diagrams I have should not be as long as the two ties either side for the switch stand. The connection between the tie bar and switch stand is usually a metal rod. But however you might have evidence otherwise as my evidence is based on information of the D&RGW RR and I have not got the time to go off looking at other railroads. Got a Depot building to get on with and not a lot of time to get it done.

John     

John, thanks for your kind comments.

The tie-bar? I am sure you are right about the metal rod and I will be shortening the PCB throw tie but I thought I would leave that until I have sorted out the switchstands. Pop a bit of packing under the tie and cut it with a sharp, narrow chisel should do the trick. A wire will also be easier to fix to the crank or whatever at the base of the switchstand.

Chaz

A little progress yesterday...

P1060933-2%20600%20x%20342_zpsauwyfxfl.j

I put the first layer of paper mache on the bank behind the curve. At the RH end you can see I overlapped some "old" dry application. When this lot dries out it will lose that bluish look too. It will need at least one more layer to form a thick enough shell to plant trees in.

Also yesterday I glued down the ties for the short spur at the west end. This will serve a small foundry (kit awaiting build) and I will probably build a wooden platform, possibly with a canopy, at which boxcars can stand.

P1060934-2%20600%20x%20388_zpso08wentw.j

Not much progress today as I am off shortly for another stint of voluntary work on Magdalen Hill reserve.

Chaz

• Like 4

Are they letting to onto the reserve with this Bird Flu about? I think there are restrictions at Arn.

Magdalen Hill reserve is run by the Butterfly Conservancy so is primarily devoted to them. Bird flu is only a problem from larger birds such as geese and swans - pretty rare on chalk grassland. Small passerines and non-migratory species such as crows, kestrels etc are not likely to be disease vectors. If they are restricting access at Arne it will be because they have geese etc there.

I spent the day as part of a team - raking, pitch-forking and burning the stuff that the blokes with the pole-saws (small chainsaws on sticks) were cutting.

Chaz

• Like 2

That sounds like self inflicted hard work.

Checked out the foot print for the Ophir depot building on Verwood Creek and it fits a treat, no track modifications needed to give clearance.

Still got to find how to hide the brick buttress that sticks out into the Depot, might look at doing a low relief warehouse with a feeder track.

John

Cheaper than a gym.

John

Well you can't get cheaper than free and the result is very worthwhile.

No modeling today as I went to Reading to the O Gauge trade show. Bought some stuff, glue and paint and a nice kit from Paul Martin (EDM). Had a useful chat with him about the Bachmann 2-8-0 - which may bear immediate fruit - WTS.

Chaz

Well you can't get cheaper than free and the result is very worthwhile.

No modeling today as I went to Reading to the O Gauge trade show. Bought some stuff, glue and paint and a nice kit from Paul Martin (EDM). Had a useful chat with him about the Bachmann 2-8-0 - which may bear immediate fruit - WTS.

Chaz

Chaz, I have two Baccy 2-8-0's which I want to get rid of. One is brand new and both have Digitrax sound decoders in. As usual they are both nice runners. E-mail me if you are interested.

I did Bearwood this morning and then some more work on the Depot, a productive day.

John

Chaz, I have two Baccy 2-8-0's which I want to get rid of. One is brand new and both have Digitrax sound decoders in. As usual they are both nice runners. E-mail me if you are interested.

I did Bearwood this morning and then some more work on the Depot, a productive day.

John

John - I have sent you a PM.    Chaz

At the Reading show there was a Bachmann 2-8-0 for sale which had been very nicely weathered, fitted with a Backwoods whale-back tender and had a short smokebox.

Later I had a chat with Paul Martin of EDM models (very knowledgeable and helpful chap). he told me that the front section of the smokebox is removeable and there is a new smokebox front and bracket for the light in the box.

I bought the 2-8-0 for the excellent outside frames and valve gear which make for a really nice model - but I am not fond of the front end with that extended smokebox.

P1060936-2%20600%20x%20449_zpsb0m3hsjw.j

The picture above shows the loco' with the factory-fitted smokebox extension. The replacement front plate and lamp bracket are in front of the pilot.

And here's the instruction sheet from the box. I must admit I didn't look at this when I bought the model - idiot - always read the instructions!

P1060937-2%20274%20x%20600_zpshrt11jj2.j

The extension removed and the lamp mounted on the bracket and fixed on the front-plate. I also shortened the handrails back to the pillars under the stack.

P1060938-2%20600%20x%20392_zpstk9eoypi.j

...and installed on the model. I will remove the generator from the discarded extension piece and refit it somewhere along the boiler.

P1060939-2%20600%20x%20434_zpsctutmeum.j

I think this mod' transforms the look of the model - now it needs numbering and a sound decoder, and probably a new tender and of course weathering - but I now feel more encouraged to do the work.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3

I have just been trying to persuade the generator to come off the extension piece. I may have to cut it off (scalpel job) but I was hoping to use the locating pips on the bottom of the back two legs to fix it back on the boiler.

This is a small problem but it made me reflect on the options included in the box with the model - three different stacks - three loads for the tender - two pony-trucks - two pilots - and, of course, the permutations of the smokebox and headlight mounting. Thankyou Bachmann!

Incidentally the LED in the front headlight is very yellow and I would like to swap it for a warm white. Do you know if the clear lens pops out to get access? (I don't want to damage it trying)

Chaz

Chaz

The Generator should just pull off, no need to cut it off. It does need a bit of wangling to get it off. Mount it just in front of the cab and do not forget to modify the steam supply pipe. The exhaust pipe should then be a straight pipe with a slight kink towards the cab and not the thing that Bachmann supply.  

It does look better with the head light bracket mounted on top of the boiler, headlights and brackets (C-16) are available from PSC which Paul supplies. Also do not forget the marker lights, again PSC castings.

Further improvement is replace the chimney with a C-16 one, again PSC castings.

John

Chaz

It does look better with the head light bracket mounted on top of the boiler, headlights and brackets (C-16) are available from PSC which Paul supplies.

John

This has got to be a matter of personal taste. I like the look with the headlight on the smokebox door.

Chaz

The Generator should just pull off, no need to cut it off. It does need a bit of wangling to get it off. ...

John

I've done a fair bit of wangling already with no success. I might well drill a hole in the bottom of the smokebox extension and push the pins out of the holes with a drift.