Hornby D16/3

Downer

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting those pictures Doug.  Looks like a few dodgy bits on those boiler bands - the odd blob and wiggle.  They seem a little crude when compared to the rest of the lining.  I wonder if some lining is machine done and some hand done?  Nothing a little weathering can't disguise I'd have thought.  The model as a whole though looks great.  I have an LNER one on order and I am looking forward to its arrival.

Ok here are a few more photos as requested.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just sing out if there are any more photos of the LNER version you would like!

What a great picture. Was having 2nd thoughts about getting a D16 as it looked a bit boring and plasticy but the best bits seem to be on the other side that no one takes photos of!

Thanks for the excellent pics, Hilux.  Nice enough on the whole but there are certainly a few minor horrors there. That down pipe from the side of the smoke box to the front footplate is definitely going to have to go and be replaced by a wire one - and I still think the red boiler band lining is WAY too heavy - so I will no doubt replace that too. Most of all I cannot believe Hornby have completely omitted the rivet detail around the front and rear of the smokebox and have also greatly simplified the rivet detail on the front frames - all of which are VERY prominent on all prototypes of these engines. Finally, I assume that there is a second hole in the drawbar to permit closer coupling?

As an aside - I have only just noticed that the front upper frames on the LNER version and the BR weathered one represent piston-valve engines, whilst the BR lined version which I am waiting for represents an original slide-valve engine......which might be a possible pitfall for those wishing to renumber their engines, as I intend to do.

Overall though it looks pretty reasonable. Thanks again for the pictures.

- Don

Hi  In LNER days countersunk rivets were used so were not visible.  Post war both LNER and BR used snap head rivets which are visible. The BR version correctly displays rivets and the pre war LNER version correctly does not. To add to renumbering problems there were 2 different lengths of reversing rods on the piston valve engines.  Those with 8 in dia valves had long rods, those with 9 in dia valves had short rods. Those retaining slide valves were somewhere in between.

Roger

• Like 1

Thanks for that Roger - I stand corrected on the smokebox rivets. I had not picked them up on the photos on page 6 of this thread showing the BR version. Hornby appear to have made them commendably scale size as well.  Also I should perhaps have added that the pump looks like one of Hornby's best to date - I hope it didn't come across that I was being overly negative.

You make a valid comment about the reversing rod....although it would be fairly simple to correct this it is again as you say, Roger, a possible pitfall for the unwary.

I notice the bottom of the boiler appears to be part of the chassis casting too - as on the recent J15's.  No problem if applying heavy weathering as I did on my J`15's ......but I am intending that this one should appear pretty much 'ex-works' but I suspect it will hardly show in normal use though.

Overall - it looks a pretty decent model for the price. Little or nothing which cannot be corrected if you are fussy. Can't wait to get my hands on mine, actually.

- Don

Edited by orford

Thanks for those images Doug. Is there any chance you can post on of the cab interior?

Sorry if I have pre-empted another poster, but I had taken this a few days ago and saw the request above.

post-3148-0-93602300-1441560658_thumb.jpg

The locos have now been in service for 4 days and are both superb runners. There are no flywheels fitted but the small thin coreless motor seems to do very well on my Gaugemaster controllers. There is a lot of weight over the main drivers, very good design, much better than the T9. Well done Hornby.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh orford at 182 above - such grudging praise!

This afternoon we have established that in making this model Hornby are catering for

(a) different frame extensions in front of the smoke box for the original side-valve engine and the later piston-valve engines;

(b) LNER countersunk rivets and later LNER and BR snap head rivets on the front and rear of the smokebox; and

© Hornby's best Westinghouse pump yet.

And you comment that "overall - it looks a pretty decent model for the price"!

Oh dear! I think many of us would go much further than that, and congratulate Hornby on a model which, on the photos seen here, looks absolutely first class. Hornby has gone further with the details than most of us ever expected in an rtr model.

I notice from Caddy's photo of the cab at 183 above that the glazing looks incredibly fine - separate pieces for the cab side windows and the spectacle plates, rather than a one piece sprue stretching round all the windows.

In my view Hornby have excelled with the D16/3 - well done!

John

Edited by it's-er
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to see a photo' of the chassis with the motor, for I don't think that I've come across a coreless motor before - certainly not in a Hornby engine! I look forward to getting mine even more now.

With regards,

Market65.

Oh dear John, .......It was certainly not meant to come across as 'grudging' praise, although upon re-reading my earlier post I can understand your comment and maybe I could have been a bit more enthusiastic about it).  I was merely pointing out the fact that the front pipe looks rather poor (which it does) and the fact that the red banding is not as good as some I have seen, including other Hornby models (which it isn't).

Bear in mind too that I am only working from pictures and had not even seen the one of the cab at that time -  also I have not yet got my hands on an actual model. I also acknowledged earlier that I completely missed the rivet detail.

But the rest of it appears to be superb and there is little doubt that it is clearly a top class model and one which will look even better once all the various 'add-ons' are attached. I suspect the vast majority of owners will be more than happy to run it just as it is.

But some of us are inveterate 'tinkerers' and will still wish to further improve things like the pipe and the boiler bands, add real coal, weathering, fire irons, lamps, sound and so on ...... which will make an already excellent model even better.

No - please don't misunderstand what I was trying to say. From the evidence here it is clearly top class (to the extent that I have just increased my 'pre-order' to two!)

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if I have pre-empted another poster, but I had taken this a few days ago and saw the request above.

D16 cab.jpg

The locos have now been in service for 4 days and are both superb runners. There are no flywheels fitted but the small thin coreless motor seems to do very well on my Gaugemaster controllers. There is a lot of weight over the main drivers, very good design, much better than the T9. Well done Hornby.

That's great, thanks very much.

Ok here are a few more photos as requested.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Just sing out if there are any more photos of the LNER version you would like!

I hope you won't mind Doug I so like the D16 and LNER version in particular (one on the way from Oz as I write) that I tidied your pic of the 'business' side of the engine, as well as the fireman's side, with a little bit of trickery here and there but I hope not changing the general appearance of the model. I added the rear of the tender by copy-re-size-paste and so on, no change to boiler. I also changed the perspective of the tender front and side a little, again I hope not making the pics troublesome.

edit; oh, and I put one bogie wheel back on the track, but avoided adding brake rods. I have been told to not put my altered pics in product threads so I hope you will give permission for these below.

Lovely model!  Thanks for your pics.  Interestingly the LNER version has injector piping under both sides of the cab, my weathered version was supplied with one large assembly loose in the moulded packet, still trying to work out how it fits but I think your fireman's-side gives a clue, thank you again, cracking model.

The boiler bands might worry some but not me, and the rest of the lining is outright superb. And the wheels have machining-centres on the axles, how cool is that?!  The lighting on the lower pic Doug is superb, I wish I could achieve that myself. I might try and ever-so-light wipe of thinned black semi-gloss over the boiler bands with the time-honoured finger-wipe-and-prayer technique on mine when it arrives.

post-7929-0-73823200-1441589685_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-65933300-1441589572_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

Thanks to all regarding the photos... all done rather mid last night. I will say to Rob, No worries about the re touching the photos... I just wish I knew how... I was using a Nikon D5300 with a 18-55mm lense on a tripod with a 1/8sec exposure to get good depth of field. The lighting is a halogen desk lamp I use for modelling as my room is a little dark and rear lit as the Fluro's in warm white tend to blue everything! So yes I know a little about photography and I am getting better. 

Over all I am happy with the running of the locomotive but due to my layout it struggles up my inclines at 1:30... with more than a few wagons. It was what I thought might happen. Surprisingly the J15 romps away! Also annoyingly I have a rail joint out of alignment on the other circuit in the most hard to get too area! One area that struck me when pulling it out of the packaging is the matt paint to the foot plate and smoke box.... it is something I have done myself but not seen it out of the box from Hornby or Bachmann. Long story short it is up there with the J15 and the K1 which I have purchased this year. Out of that group I think the D16 just takes it as the shape is so different to all the other locos that have been issued. 

I'll try to get a few more photos up tonight. (work is a real time consumer!) I can see how people end up taking photos as another hobby it is challenging but cheap with Digital cameras. I do have a Macro lens which I have tried. I need to perfect it though! 

Is it possible to see a photo' of the chassis with the motor, for I don't think that I've come across a coreless motor before - certainly not in a Hornby engine! I look forward to getting mine even more now.

With regards,

Market65.

Sorry, now I have the top off fully and can see that although long, the motor is conventional. It just runs so smoothly and seemed so balanced. It is the quietest steam mechanism I have had and really I thought at first it must have a flywheel. Anyway hopefully you fellows will have yours soon, I'm not going any further with dismantling mine!

post-3148-0-65505500-1441624561_thumb.jpgpost-3148-0-61925400-1441624582_thumb.jpg

By the way with the body off you can really feel the weight built into the cab end of the body. I just think the design is superb for a 4-4-0, hope you agree when they arrive in the UK.

Regards

Steve

...By the way with the body off you can really feel the weight built into the cab end of the body. I just think the design is superb for a 4-4-0... 

It's the right general layout (for both 4-4-0s and 4-6-0s) to allocate the space over coupled wheels for weight and have the motor in the smokebox. And a void between the worm and the cast weight for more weight. Looks like that void was originally intended for a flywheel; why else tool it with a radiused base that looks concentric with the motor shaft?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, now I have the top off fully and can see that although long, the motor is conventional. It just runs so smoothly and seemed so balanced. It is the quietest steam mechanism I have had and really I thought at first it must have a flywheel. Anyway hopefully you fellows will have yours soon, I'm not going any further with dismantling mine!

attachicon.gifD16 Chassis 1.jpgattachicon.gifD16 Chassis 2.jpg

By the way with the body off you can really feel the weight built into the cab end of the body. I just think the design is superb for a 4-4-0, hope you agree when they arrive in the UK.

Regards

Steve

Doesn't the wiring look neat

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Steve for dismantling your model and taking those photo's. It's very good the way the motor fits into the boiler, and I think it is the same motor as fitted in the K1. I like the way that the weight is centered over the driving wheels as well. The model is just so good in all ways. Again, looking forward to it.

With regards,

Market65.

Well sorry about not getting some more photos last night.... Lets just say Boy No 1 required picking up on the way home which resulted in finally getting home at 7.30pm. (making a long day as I left at 7.15AM) SO once fed and watered... pat Boy No 1 and Girl No 1 on the head off to bed. that was it for the night for me... 

It is good to see there might be some room in the loco for a little Lead as I need a bit more weight to pull my trains up my incline! 

... I think it is the same motor as fitted in the K1...

Does look that way going on general appearance. My K1 motor has (what I take to be a serial) number 140912 in the same style on the can side. Now, no mention in the Hornby sheet with the K1 that this is a coreless motor, just a 'sealed long life motor'. Does it say any different on the D16 service sheet? Runs beautifully whatever the internals may be. (Should it ever stop on me, we'll see about the 'sealed', yet to be beaten on can motors!)

Looks as though they've captured the distinctive way the driving wheel spokes taper outward from the wheel centres!

That flare of the spokes from the protruding boss of the wheel centres is good. I think Hornby first incorporated this feature on their Castle release a few years ago, and it much enhances that model.