RMweb Live - 13/14 September - Ricoh Stadium, Coventry

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I take it you do realise that this is the same weekend as The International N Gauge Show at Leamington??, which is about 20 mins away.

Regards

Neal.

I take it you do realise that this is the same weekend as The International N Gauge Show at Leamington??, which is about 20 mins away.

Yup, the number of dates available was very limited so it's unfortunate that there's always likely to be a clash of some form. Personally I wish it didn't clash with EM North more than the N gauge show but there's a couple of different angles in that the two are close enough for someone to squeeze both into a day although I'd say people will be pushed to take in everything at the Ricoh in one day but there again they could make a weekend in Warks out of it. We've got some really top notch N gauge layouts in the mix though as not everyone's at Leamington. RMweb Live is about doing things differently anyway as well as being quite RMweb driven and is practical skills led so it's very much an additional event in the calendar rather than being just plain competition.

I'd say people will be pushed to take in everything at the Ricoh in one day

I remember turning up at Warley one Saturday an hour after opening time owing to missing a train. First thing I saw was a friend coming out who told me he'd seen everything! 

• RMweb Gold

I'd say people will be pushed to take in everything at the Ricoh in one day

I remember turning up at Warley one Saturday an hour after opening time owing to missing a train. First thing I saw was a friend coming out who told me he'd seen everything! 

It probably all depends on exactly what people are looking for.

You could get some people going there, just so they can get specific items for which the postage etc might exceed the cost of them getting there  - perhaps 2 or 3 etched brass kits each from a number of "small traders" - perhaps some motors, gears and wheels to complete them, from further traders. I don't know.

You could also get people who are only there to see a small number of layouts that they haven't seen elsewhere - or, perhaps, just to meet up with a particular person they know will be manning one stand.

Obviously, these are wild guesses - but it might suit some people's purposes to go to all the trouble and expense of viisting a big show, only to clear off after an hour.

I'm at the other extreme when it comes to model railway exhibitions.

For me, these shows are usually at the "far" end of long journeys to and from home - journeys which I'm likely to have booked and paid for months in advance, with little or no flexibility in departure times. To be certain of not missing anything, I need to get to the show as early as I can - I also need to choose the latest return time possible.

There's also the matter of admission charges, food and other associated costs.

In other words, if I visit a big show, I'm looking to spend the whole day there - and it's really a case of "failure is not an option". I'm only going to visit the show if I'm certain it's going to be worth my while - and if I'm certain I'm going to enjoy the experience.

Thankfully, I don't normally need to look for things to do at shows like "Warley" or "Alexandra Palace". For me, going for 2 days is out of the question - but I'm more likely to run out of time than to run out of things to do with that time.

Although a number of details are stiil to be finalised / announced for RMweb Live, I'm certain that it'll turn out to be every bit as good. For me, the main factor limiting my visit to the Ricoh is likely to be the last bus back to Coventry railway station.

Similar considerations apply to me visiting trade shows - the same long journeys to and from the venue - the same intent to see a number of things of interest. I might not be paying to go in - but being there still costs time and money.

For me, at trade shows, the emphasis turns to any chances to see new stuff, learn new stuff, or refresh my knowledge - this usually means seminars (some of which are very good). If they exist at a given show - and if they're interesting - I stick around for them. If not, I clear off (or don't bother going in the first place).

This brings me to why I've left some shows rather quickly. The shows concerned didn't live up to expectations - there was nothing to see - there was nothing to hear - nothing to do, but clear off and head to the nearest museum for a few, rather more enjoyable, hours.

I've done this at a few trade shows. Strangely enough, I avoided them the following year - those that actually ran again, that is.

This might seem like a strange statement - it's not. A number of trade shows have "withered on the vine". I've been to shows which have consisted of a small number of stands, rattling around in a hall far too big for them - and where the previous year's seminar schedule has been replaced by nothing, or (worse still) a boring session along the lines of "pay £35 for the chance to learn how to use our over-priced parts to build something you never wanted in the first place".

I've noticed that this sort of stuff often seems to be a signal of a "death spiral" at trade shows. It seems to be possible to revive some shows if they start to go downhill - but there needs to be something to revive in the first place. When there's not, some people might liken the outcome to a giant Hand finishing a "finger painting" routine.

Sometimes, the organisers of these shows have tried to sell space at next year's show. Sometimes, they've rescheduled the shows a few weeks before they're due to run - a different month - a different venue - maybe even a different year. Sometimes, they've actually faced up to the fact that they're wasting time - their time - and companies' time. I think it's fair to say that companies don't like having their time wasted - and neither do the sort of visitors the organisers are trying to attract to their shows. The net result is the same - most of these shows seem to vanish without trace - not seen again - definitely not mourned.

I've also walked out of one or two regional model railway shows - which I could get to using an hourly service bus from my local town. Although I've usually found most regional shows to be worth going to, a small minority have turned out to be sideshows - a reasonable sized hall, with half a dozen layouts around the walls - plus a handful of second hand "tat" dealers, with their "bring up and buy" stools stalls and "wishful thinking" prices.

As I retched reached these shows using an hourly service bus, I could also leave them using the same buses. I could - I did - and I'd do so again - but I'd prefer not to have to.

I don't know about anyone else - but I think that's more than enough negativity for one day.

Let's get back to the trains.

Huw.

I would agree with a lot of what Huw has said above.

My partner & I living in Ireland have traveled a good distance to the UK to get to some major shows.

We have been to Warley, Glasgow & Railex over the last number of years.

Yes it cost a lot to get there with flights, accommodation, car hire etc but it was worth it because we carried out a lot of advance research to try & minimize wasting our time & money.

We stayed for two days at each show & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Warley & Glasgow were great but I thought Railex was fantastic the year we went there & could not thank David Lane enough for the help he gave us to make our visit worthwhile.

We have been to smaller shows around the Southern UK as well while in the UK on other business. Some were good & some not so good but that didn't worry us to much as we were in the UK on other business anyway. I know we couldn't afford to travel to any show without being sure that it would be worth our while & worth the expense of getting there & back.

I would imagine that it would be no different for anyone living in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

It is most encouraging to see people making the effort to travel significant distances to RMweb Live and to other events in the past.  The cost can be very significant when the likes of air fares, hired cars and accommodation are included.

As much by luck as intention I currently hold the long-distance record for attendance at an RMweb event.   Approximately 10712 miles one-way using the distance-finding resources of IATA and Google Maps.  Heathrow to Ricoh is quoted as 52 miles shorter than to Staplegrove but by dint of circumstance I am once again in the Old Country at the right time. So I won't break my own record this time but have every confidence that the cost and time involved, which happens to fall within my period of long-service leave, will be worth it.  

Should I wear a wide-brimmed hat hung with corks in order to be recognised?  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yup, the number of dates available was very limited so it's unfortunate that there's always likely to be a clash of some form. Personally I wish it didn't clash with EM North more than the N gauge show but there's a couple of different angles in that the two are close enough for someone to squeeze both into a day although I'd say people will be pushed to take in everything at the Ricoh in one day but there again they could make a weekend in Warks out of it. We've got some really top notch N gauge layouts in the mix though as not everyone's at Leamington. RMweb Live is about doing things differently anyway as well as being quite RMweb driven and is practical skills led so it's very much an additional event in the calendar rather than being just plain competition.

Its also Swindon Steam that weekend featuring Gresley Beat amongst a host of other attractions including two 2mm layouts - see

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

We do this show every year but this year will only be demonstrating on the Sunday as my daughter is getting married on the Saturday so skipping from one show to another is completely out of the question!!

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll be there helping to operate Loughborough Road along with ALANP, here's some of the stuff you'll be able to see on the layout during RMweb Live:

post-7271-0-45788600-1401035818_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-07913900-1401036107_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-44733900-1401036119_thumb.jpg

post-7271-0-51419900-1401035948_thumb.jpg

Really looking forward to the show, there will be some fine layouts there, looks like it's going to be a good one!

Simon 

• RMweb Premium

Like Andy says it is difficult to plan a show which does not clash with something else going on. I know each show I have ever exhibited, demoed, or visited seems to clash with some DIY, gardening, visiting relatives etc. my darling wife thinks she has arranged for me. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Hoping to have a few new trains on Kinlet wharf or possibly on Victoria bridge if Andy Y puts us next door to each other ;) and Will J lets me play :)

Quite a few 3D printed things from bmth david including the Kirow crane and support wagons and nuclear wagons. And a rake of NGS timber wagons to build for the show.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

If everyone bringing a layout is going to post up some photos as a taster then here's a couple from Much Murkle.

3601 Shunting Rancoutt's yard

post-7649-0-89168600-1401228218.jpg

While the herd of Herefordshires are disinterested in 5542 simmering in the loop.

post-7649-0-22746100-1401228233.jpg

See you all in September.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

To Andy & the Organising Team :

I'm sending up a set of houses for one of the demo areas, but (at this stage) it's unlikely I will be attending myself, which means anyone who looks at the houses and has questions will not be able to ask me in person.

So, how about having some question cards all around the exhibition, so visitors can write their questions, drop the card into one of several 'post boxes' and the cards can then be passed onto the appropriate exhibitor for answering via the forum ?

Something like this, maybe :

post-7025-0-55856200-1402559766.jpg

Just a thought, but 4 of these would fit onto an A4 sheet (for easy printing & then cutting).

Stu  

I still feel that a recording of some of the more interesting workshops would be a great idea (maybe one of each session on x stands) if a live feed can't be set up for those of us who are unable to attend the event in person, due to time/distance factors.

• RMweb Gold

I still feel that a recording of some of the more interesting workshops would be a great idea (maybe one of each session on x stands) if a live feed can't be set up for those of us who are unable to attend the event in person, due to time/distance factors.

Not just the workshops (though they'd be great) - how about recordings of the seminars?

Failing that, some record of what the speakers were planning to say (plus any PowerPoints) could be extremely interesting.

Whether any of this is actually workable remains to be seen.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

It appears that by the good fortune of a nephew becoming hitched to his good lady a few days beforehand that I shall be in the Old Country on the dates in question.

You've seen the work (or if you haven't you can click the links below ;) ) so how can I be of assistance and support?  Not possible to transport 35 metres of permanent layout around the world I'm afraid but there's more than one string to this bow.

Fast-forward six months.  Planning for the Great Gathering is at an advanced stage.  Tickets booked as far ahead as the various TOCs will allow.

I am off the leash, so to speak, for a few days and now intend to cram in as much as I reasonably can whilst not busting the budget.  Friday will consist of a Chiltern Trains loco-operated trip from London to Birmingham, a sojourn out to the Parry Peoplemover Branch and, as a resident of a famous tram-operating city, it seems rude to ignore the GWR route to Wolverhampton in its present incarnation.

Saturday is Show Day for me.  Sunday is to be spent in the environs of Toton via Crewe and Derby.  Monday will be spent observing the weekday East Midlands operations until taking the afternoon banana-train from Derby back to London via Corby.

Of three nights "out" I need the first (Friday) in or near to Birmingham or Coventry and the last (Sunday) would ideally be in Derby.  The middle could be in either but not at a third location.  Any thoughts?  Anywhere I should avoid like the plague?  I'm happy with fairly basic places as all I need is a bed and a shower.  But a rat palace is not my idea of fun ;)

What's that Skip?  The Great Gathering has already been used?  I'll have to see about that!!!

• RMweb Premium

Sunday would ideally be in Derby.

Several hotels around the station area - nearest is the Hallmark which was the old original Midland Station Hotel. Across the bridge into Pride Park you will find the usual Holiday Inn, Travelodge etc. For our Derby exhibition we put our exhibitors in the Stuart which has now joined the Best Western chain. However a colleague from work regularly stays at a small B&B called "Chuckles" with what she describes as a great pub next door. Details in these links.

http://www.thestuart.com/index.html

http://www.chucklesguesthouse.co.uk/index.html

http://www.cromptontavern.co.uk/

As luck would have it, I am away that weekend as my son is getting married !

Mike

Archived