RMweb Live - 13/14 September - Ricoh Stadium, Coventry

Andy Y

Without wishing to read like a bit of a wet blanket (and I guess someone has to put a bit of a damper on the jolly banter every so often). It's a bit disappointing to read the comments about "How Far" it is. Yes I appreciate that not everybody is as mobile as they would like and that travel costs. But if the criteria for the ideal venue is that it's got to be within staggering distance of accessible public transport to the point you want to be able to hear the doors close on the bus or train you arrived on while you buy your entrance ticket. Then the choice of available venues in the UK is rather small and somewhat London Centric. Oh! and did I mention bloody expensive.

For my sins and constant bewilderment. i turn a coin by being involved with the organisation of live events the world over (and you'd be bloody amazed at some of the places chosen). Unfortunately here in Blighty we are not very good with public transportation in general, let alone tying it in with places that people actually want to get to. Yes you have the likes of the NEC, Manchester GMEX (sorry I'll always refer to it as that), but by heck they charge a premium for the fact. The Ricoh in Coventry isn't actually a bad location at all and contrary to all the neigh sayers about traffic jams and the likes The reality of getting there by motorway isn't all the doom and gloom that people make out. Hopefully some kind of link service can be arranged between the stadium and Coventry railway station, which strangely enough has quite a frequent schedule of trains running through it. The fact is that if you where looking for a suitable location the Ricoh ticks a few boxes and I can qualify that statement by the fact that a large number of UK blue Chips choose the venue to hold their internal events and conferences (I've got the invoices to prove it) and believe me they think long and hard about moving four or five thousand of their staff around from all over the country.

What has surprised me a little is that no one has asked the question of what might be available to "she who must be obeyed" or "her indoors". A little careful planning could actually provide both yourselves and the ball and chain with quite an enjoyable weekend away. Coventry itself is about a 30 minute drive along the A45 from places with "heel" appeal like Royal Leamington Spa and Warwick. Maybe the love of your life…….. Well the love of your life after that latest weathered class whats' it's name you've just bought,. Might enjoy a couple of days away at a nice stately pile of bricks, taking the time to enjoy a bit of Spa therapy? Ansty Manor and Coombe Abbey are all stones throws away, as are lots of other pleasant little retreats….. Besides it will soften the blow when you have to explain to her just how much you forked out for that track automation package.

For those of you who like getting the golf bats out at the weekend. I don't have to remind you that there is a Ryder cup golf course up the road and that there are plenty of other golf courses surrounding it, suitable for all levels and pockets (not Ryder cup standard obviously).

Most of all, if you have a better than just passing interest in attending the event. Please do!!! Even if it does mean putting yourself out a little. The reality is that without your attendance and subsequent feedback through the forum later on, making decisions on the viability or content of the next event will be just that little bit harder. The event is a bold move by Andy and his team, but in my individual view a necessary one and for reasons best given by some of the posts in front of this. But lets not fall into the trap of sitting at our keyboards prevaricating about it not being this and it not being that and lets just make the effort to get involved to the best of our abilities and within our own limitations.

Cheers to one and all.

I was wondering if we could have a zone as a celebration of RMweb events past....

...I was thinking along the lines of...

1) A queue of exhibitors waiting for the man with the key for the gate to arrive,

2)  Sand spread across floor but able to jump and get into anything,

3)  Randomly placed 12" to the Foot scale rolling stock in places not previously agreed with a chap saying "you want that moved...not possible mate..." 

4) Pasty and oat cake tasting arena

5) a workshop on how to make up floor plans on the hoof (see item 3 above)

6) a demonstration on invisible methods of marking the floor plan on the floor (chalked string anyone?)

7) a demonstration on the best methods and type and widths (read as gauge) of chairs to use and stand on for making announcements  

8 ) a karaoke auctioneering have a go area (see also item 7 above)

I am sure there are more...

Yes,  sorry that the next layout have set up into your space, you couldn't saw a foot off your layout?

or, sorry about the subsidence, but we have a supply of off-cuts you can use to level your layout.

or, I know your pitch is across the loco inspection pit, I'm sure you can jump over it whilst you operate.

Bill

I know your pitch is across the loco inspection pit, I'm sure you can jump over it whilst you operate.

That's not too far from the truth with a couple of our previous events.

Muz has felt the pain of previous set-ups as detailed above but I'd also add in rounds of 'hunt the fire extinguishers under a pile of rubbish in a shed', toilets that would shame Stubby, completely different definitions between hirer and hiree of a little steam loco as to what constitutes 'a day' as opposed to 'a few hours when we get our backsides in gear', how to cook 150 baked potatoes in a domestic oven, cooking a chilli in an oil drum, cooking exhibitors' breakfasts and lunch on a barbecue and how not to dismantle a gazebo.

I will miss the amateurism of previous seat of the pants events. :)

I will miss the amateurism of previous seat of the pants events. :)

I must at this point disassociate the above phrase from any CK-led event which, of course, runs on military precision and gives an opportunity for me to play the part of dumb villager when anything meaningful needs to be done.

75% within two hours is about right....

If you are talking population (not land area)...

And England only (excluding Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland...

We still live in the United Kingdom until the Scots get their way in the referendum (if not the first one they will keep holding them until they get the result Salmond and Co want). I'm pretty sure that the venue is still within 2 hours of 75% of the population.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I must at this point disassociate the above phrase from any CK-led event which, of course, runs on military precision and gives an opportunity for me to play the part of dumb villager when anything meaningful needs to be done.

I was just about to respond by assuring you that that kind of thing was alive and well in The Noble Realm, when I saw your comments!

Well, what can I say, but...... 'I can neither confirm nor deny....'  :D 

You mean to say that the good Cap'n Kernow let someone else get near it? :jester:

I really don't know what you mean!! :P 

• RMweb Gold

You mean to say that the good Cap'n Kernow let someone else get near it? :jester:

In fact the Cap'n was so long on it that there were rumours he was attempting the first circumnavigation of the world by tank locomotive....

• RMweb Gold

We still live in the United Kingdom until the Scots get their way in the referendum (if not the first one they will keep holding them until they get the result Salmond and Co want). I'm pretty sure that the venue is still within 2 hours of 75% of the population.

Ed

As it will take me the best part of 2 hours to get to Taunton, provided the M5 is not under water in Somerset, and then at least another 2 to Coventry, then judging by the percentage of land / population in the same area as me, I'm not sure 75% is an accurate figure.

However, I'm intending to venture north for the weekend, just not sure how to broach the subject with she who holds the purse strings...

Oh I'd forgotten about he gazebo, that's brightened my afternoon :)

Reminds me of a certain model engineering society I know (note the "engineering") who bought a gazebo for their outdoor events and decided based on its success to buy a second, slightly different one. Next event they put both of them up,no problem. The following event only required one gazebo and that's where the fun started. It took over an hour of wondering why it wasn't going together properly before someone realised that during packing away after the previous event they'd put the instructions back in the wrong boxes....

• RMweb Gold

As it will take me the best part of 2 hours to get to Taunton, provided the M5 is not under water in Somerset, and then at least another 2 to Coventry, then judging by the percentage of land / population in the same area as me, I'm not sure 75% is an accurate figure.

However, I'm intending to venture north for the weekend, just not sure how to broach the subject with she who holds the purse strings...

Stu it takes me a good two hours to get to Bristol from here if it helps.M5/M42/M6 would be your best bet.

• RMweb Gold

It is two hours to/from Bristol 

I would say yes,probably quicker if you use the motorways advised earlier.You can also cut through via Stratford/Evesham on the A46 too but its obviously not a 70mph route.

• RMweb Premium

I'm just popping out to the model shop dear , I may be gone some time .     :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Bruce Rioch was a Coventry City football player - I'm guessing wildly that he has something to do with stadium name..

He never played for us Stu.It's called the Ricoh because the camera maker got the naming rights when it was built.When their deal runs out God knows what it will be named.Was the home of CCFC until recently.

• RMweb Gold

I think Ricoh now own Pentax, such is the way of photography in the digital era, when almost everyone has a camera in his/her phone, and the more serious single-lens-reflex camera sales are completely dominated by Canon and Nikon worldwide.

Archived