Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

That's a decent length set up you've got there Mick, I like the curved fiddle yard boards.

Out if interest, how big are the rectangular boards you have? I'm considering using Tims boards for a future project, they look like they might be the answer to my lack of woodwork skills and seem very fairly priced

jo

• RMweb Premium

That's a decent length set up you've got there Mick, I like the curved fiddle yard boards.

Out if interest, how big are the rectangular boards you have? I'm considering using Tims boards for a future project, they look like they might be the answer to my lack of woodwork skills and seem very fairly priced

jo

Hi Jo,

the larger boards are 4' x 2', I think he does 4x3 as one of his standards. He may be able to do longer. The curved boards are 1.8m from corner to corner and they are near the limit of his laser cutter.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update: The last couple of evenings have been spent sealing the boards with diluted PVA (1:1). Still a couple more to do - hopefully over the weekend.

Although I'll eventually have to cut holes for the point motors, these will also receive a quick dab with the PVA to seal the edges.

I've also started to acquire a few extra items of stock appropriate to an East Midlands setting, as well as some appropriate road vehicles to grace the couple of road sections at either end.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Four class 20s, a couple of 100 ton tankers and a couple of lovely new S Stock models then Mick. cherrrrrrching!!!

Very East Midlands though. HaHa.

Seriously though the layout looks as if it's coming along a treat. The base boards look seriously impressive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Four class 20s, a couple of 100 ton tankers and a couple of lovely new S Stock models then Mick. cherrrrrrching!!!

Very East Midlands though. HaHa.

Seriously though the layout looks as if it's coming along a treat. The base boards look seriously impressive.

The recent EMT purchase was a full 2+8 HST from a well known auction site at a price well below the 2+4 sets currently available - and I didn't pay anywhere near £40-odd per coach as some sellers want!

As for S Stock - one of my tame layout helpers has one on order. I wonder if he'll let me demotor it?

All boards now sealed - just trying to clear some extra space in the garage and/or conservatory to put 2-3 of them up to begin tracklaying.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

The recent EMT purchase was a full 2+8 HST from a well known auction site at a price well below the 2+4 sets currently available - and I didn't pay anywhere near £40-odd per coach as some sellers want!

As for S Stock - one of my tame layout helpers has one on order. I wonder if he'll let me demotor it?

All baords now sealed - just trying to clear some extra space in the garage and/or conservatory to put 2-3 of them up to begin tracklaying.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

De Motor the 20's. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I've been busy with legs for the layout in preparation for a big tracklaying push.

However......

I acquired a ViTrains 37/4 a couple of weeks ago with the intention of doing Colas 37421, but this has caught my attention....... I wonder where my large logos/numbers are?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Starting to connect the fiddle yard boards to the scenic sections.

Tim kindly supplied me with some thin ply with all the relevant holes cut in - these are glued to the scenic board. Dowels are then screwed in.

post-408-0-88828000-1437519103_thumb.jpg

Here's the curved board legs - a simple A-frame construction. I've used spare diagonal bracing bits to hold then together. A chain holds the legs at the correct opening to fix the height.

post-408-0-07716600-1437519105_thumb.jpg

The boards are mated together for the first time and they're a perfect fit with the dowels.

post-408-0-77146100-1437519105_thumb.jpg

The main line has a slight elevation and I was pondering how to bring it back down to the main datum level. in the meantime, suitable wood sections have been screwed into place either side of the joint to give a solid track level between the two boards.

post-408-0-63093400-1437519106_thumb.jpg

As the fiddle yard boards are potentially to be used on a future layout, I didn't want to make the grade back to level too "permanent", so I've opted for Woodland scenics incline/decline sections and used PVA to glue them down. I think they create a neat solution.

post-408-0-23541800-1437519107_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-70016600-1437519109_thumb.jpg

I've just screwed in some brass screws to solder the rails to as they cross the joint. Hopefully, track will be laid in the next day or two.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Coming on very nicely Mick.

Does the Woodlands Scenic slope have an easement built in, or is that part of the fitting process?

Regards

Julian

I presume you mean a transition from level to the slope?

If so, then no, but they start at 2% grade and it's fairly easy to add in a slight taper with the track (Peco) anyway.

It's also not too difficult to use sandpaper or similar at the top of the slope to take the "edge" off the change in gradient.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Yes, it was the transition [it may be that the easement I referred to is a US term]

I presume you mean a transition from level to the slope?

If so, then no, but they start at 2% grade and it's fairly easy to add in a slight taper with the track (Peco) anyway.

It's also not too difficult to use sandpaper or similar at the top of the slope to take the "edge" off the change in gradient.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you for the information Mick. That looks like a pretty useful product you have there.

Regards

Julian

• RMweb Premium

Lots of work in the past few days laying the track around the curves and onto the main fiddle yard proper. As my main camera decided to tell me the batteries were flat and I only have 3xAA spare ( 4 needed) in the house, no chance of proper pics.

In the meantime, here's a few phone pics.

This is the second curved board. The two main lines need to separate to allow space for the fan of the main fiddle yard roads. The line/point on the right will be extra siding (or two) that can be used for extra storage (probably about the length of an APT-E when fully finished..............) A crossover has also been incorporated  to allow changing trains from outer to inner circuits. A similar arrangement will be added at the other end of the yard.

post-408-0-46453600-1438129660_thumb.jpg

The holes are cut out for Peco point motors - although they won't be fitted immediately, it's easier to cut the holes now. (As I'm limited in time and finance to buy the motors, to make it work, the points will be manually controlled for now)

post-408-0-02321200-1438129693_thumb.jpg

The holes are made with two 25mm cuts with a hole saw and joined up with a jigsaw to make the oval.

This is the track roughly in place over the top.

post-408-0-75932700-1438129705_thumb.jpg

And a couple of road starting to take shape.

post-408-0-09050600-1438129717_thumb.jpg

I'm actually about 1/3 through the main fiddle yard tracklaying, but need a few more supplies to carry on. More updates later.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick. It's coming along nicely. Interesting use of the hole saw. One question though, is 25mm the ideal size or would a 20mm work?

Hi Duncan,

Peco motors are about 22mm across the solder tabs.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm sorry to say that after a bit of soul-searching and trying to work out how to make the week 10 days long and reducing my workload, Deadman's Lane will not be making an appearance at the Blackburn MRS exhibition in September 2015. It was intended to be a working "work in progress" layout, but I simply cannot find the time to accomplish that.

In it's place will be "New Bryford" and DL is now pencilled in for a full debut at the 2016 exhibition.

Don't worry though, I certainly won't be stopping work on DL - I've spent the last few sessions starting to wire up the storage yard.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Guest Digital

I'm sorry to say that after a bit of soul-searching and trying to work out how to make the week 10 days long and reducing my workload, Deadman's Lane will not be making an appearance at the Blackburn MRS exhibition in September 2015. It was intended to be a working "work in progress" layout, but I simply cannot find the time to accomplish that.

In it's place will be "New Bryford" and DL is now pencilled in for a full debut at the 2016 exhibition.

Don't worry though, I certainly won't be stopping work on DL - I've spent the last few sessions starting to wire up the storage yard.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Sorry to hear Deadman's Lane won't be making an appearance at Blackburn MRS exhibition this year. I was looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Never mind at least we can still watch it's progress here on RMWEB and definitely one for the diary next year.

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards

John

Edited by Digital

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Progress update:

Still a bit of work going on as and when I can fit it around my hectic proper work/family/golf schedule - I need to determine exactly how much track is needed to finish off the other curved boards - I think it's about 4 lengths of Code 75.

In the meantime, I seem to have acquired another EMT 153.........

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3