Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

I am reliably informed that the bent cab step is quite prototypical.

Chris

I have just had a quick scan through my collection of well over a hundred 'A' class loco photos in the hope of finding even the slightest hint of distortion to the cab step to support your outrageous assertion but have failed to do so. Indeed, with a rather large injector behind the step it is unlikely that there's any chance of a bent step without the loco's operation being seriously compromised!

Dave

post-5366-0-77838100-1501965512_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Chris

I have just had a quick scan through my collection of well over a hundred 'A' class loco photos in the hope of finding even the slightest hint of distortion to the cab step to support your outrageous assertion but have failed to do so. Indeed, with a rather large injector behind the step it is unlikely that there's any chance of a bent step without the loco's operation being seriously compromised!

Dave

attachicon.gif373 at Swindon 3Nov57.jpg

Dave,

It was the local shed-master just down the valley who told me that the damage occurred when Daddy Pig was trying to climb into the cab during an unauthorised shed bash. He was very lucky to be let off with a stern ticking-off and not end up on the fireman's shovel as breakfast.

Seriously, the steps on this kit are very prone to bending. I have reinforced the front steps, but need to do something about those under the cab. 

Regards,

Chris

the steps on this kit are very prone to bending. I have reinforced the front steps, but need to do something about those under the cab. 

Thanks Chris

I have one of these to build so forewarned is forearmed. I'll have to get some injectors if they are not in the kit as their absence compounds the lack of support for the steps as well as leaving the rear wheels very visible.

Dave

post-5366-0-41023800-1502007977_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Chris

I have one of these to build so forewarned is forearmed. I'll have to get some injectors if they are not in the kit as their absence compounds the lack of support for the steps as well as leaving the rear wheels very visible.

Dave

attachicon.gif357 at unknown loc c1955.jpg

Dave,

I don't think injectors were supplied with the kit because I would have fitted them. Please let me know if you find some suitable injectors so I can buy some and retro-fit them. I also need to trim the bosses off the bottom edge of the coupling rods. i don't why I left them on, but perhaps there was something in the instructions. Getting a neat finish on the join between the cab roof and sides is also quite tricky.

Chris

I don't think were supplied with the kit because I would have fitted them. Please let me know if you find some suitable injectors so I can buy some and retro-fit them. I also need to trim the bosses off the bottom edge of the coupling rods. i don't why I left them on, but perhaps there was something in the instructions. Getting a neat finish on the join between the cab roof and sides is also quite tricky.

Chris

More useful gen, thanks.

In the photo below of 'A' class 149 before the GWR rebuilt it and numbered it 376, there is no sign of a GWR-style injector behind the solid step. I conclude that the injectors (and open steps allowing access) are a GWR mod. Therefore, presumably, we shall be seeking a suitable 'standard' GWR part from Laurie Griffin or similar perhaps.

Dave

post-5366-0-88724900-1502048797.jpg

Edited by daifly

Dave,

It was the local shed-master just down the valley who told me that the damage occurred when Daddy Pig was trying to climb into the cab during an unauthorised shed bash. He was very lucky to be let off with a stern ticking-off and not end up on the fireman's shovel as breakfast.

Seriously, the steps on this kit are very prone to bending. I have reinforced the front steps, but need to do something about those under the cab. 

Regards,

Chris

Judging by the amount of rivets on the strapping for the cab steps, they must be ex-girder bridge off-cuts!

No wonder they never bent ;-)

Steve N

Chris, I'm still in shock and traumatised by that purple loco. A small discount off my 8750 our could sort me out though ;-p

Oh no - could this be the start of a CLASS Action lawsuit?

Edited by Osgood

Chris

More useful gen, thanks.

In the photo below of 'A' class 149 before the GWR rebuilt it and numbered it 376, there is no sign of a GWR-style injector behind the solid step. I conclude that the injectors (and open steps allowing access) are a GWR mod. Therefore, presumably, we shall be seeking a suitable 'standard' GWR part from Laurie Griffin or similar perhaps.

Dave

attachicon.gifTV 149 at unknown loc.jpg

Dave,

That is a useful photo. Fortunately, I should be able to make the modification without interfering with the completed work. I assume you have the Dragon Models Kit. Pushing out the rivets on the tanks is very tedious and there is a tendency for the tanks to bow out slightly along the lines of the rivets, especially the horizontal lines along the centre of the tank. I corrected this by soldering some scrap nickelsilver strip from the chassis etches edge-on vertically and horizontally inside the tanks.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My liking for 0 gauge is kept alive by a friends layout in Colwyn AND the locos on here....!  I think all it would take to get me back into 7mm scale would be the availability of more RTR GWR coaching stock. I did not enjoy spending a week building a brass 7mm coach...... Life's too short. I still have an 0 gauge 14XX so one never knows.....

My liking for 0 gauge is kept alive by a friends layout in Colwyn AND the locos on here....!  I think all it would take to get me back into 7mm scale would be the availability of more RTR GWR coaching stock. I did not enjoy spending a week building a brass 7mm coach...... Life's too short. I still have an 0 gauge 14XX so one never knows.....

Hi Coachman (who doesnt like building coaches, Ha ha!),

A week to knock out a 7mm brass coach kit? Pretty good going Id say!

I do, in all seriousness, empathise though! I love coaches, but Im not fond of building them, Im still wondering if the/my 'main event' layout will ever be finished (as life gets in the way).....and yet, arent we told that the journey is better than the destination, that hobbies keep us alive and engaged? Having said that, Im not keen on track building either, I love great trackwork, so my answer is to fettle/super detail RTL track....playing to my strengths.

BTW The Lionheart/Dapol B Sets et al are under way and might suit your needs?

ATVB

CME.

• Like 1

£150-200?

I guess the comparison points are Hatton/Heljan & JLTRT?

Best

Simon

For bogie coaches, yes.

But is there a need for another B-Set?

What about a 4 wheel GWR coach?

Would the restricted period of use mean there would be insufficient demand?

Also construction of a 4 wheeler from the likes of the Slaters kits is not much more demanding than a wagon kit, so would the availability of kits reduce demand for RTR?

Who'd be a RTR manufacturer with so many unanswerable questions?

What are we going to discover at Telford?

Should I take a cheque book?

Edited by Osgood

Chris,

My point of view is that what I am prepared to pay depends upon the quality and suitability...  and ease of conversion to 7mm track of a wider persuasion.  As an example, I would not have bought the Lionheart GWR autotrailer are the original, Lionheart, price and yet I am prepared to buy the Dapol version through one of the 7mm suppliers.

Why?  I thought that the Lionheart version was too expensive given that my modelling period is circa 1910 and hence the original liveries would have needed re-work.  The Dapol price through Tower is sufficiently less that I I am prepared to buy the model, back date the appearance using a recent MRJ article and then pass the result to a professional painter for the fully lined livery.

If you are looking for suggestions, Dean clerestory coaches to run alongside the Slater's kits.  If you like that idea then please look carefully at the GWR composite diagrams, especially the tri-comps for through working over the Cambrian (maybe with roof boards for Tonfanau), and the clerestory slip coaches.   If those feature in your plans then somewhere in the region of £300 for one in pre-1908 chocolate / brown or lined lake.

Edited by Western Star

Well using your loco price and quality as a guide I find you are tip top in quality and somewhat cheaper in price for similar types of locos from other manufacturers.

Therefore I expect you to be able to apply the same manufacturing magic to any coaches built with a similar outcome on quality and price so in the range of £120 - £180 is my guestimate.

........and on another slightly off track subject any update on this from the Minerva website>>>

Next the good news

We have been working on our next project for some months now, and have approved decorated samples already. We will announce our next models at the Gauge 0 Guild show at Telford on the 2nd September, but you won’t have to wait months for them. It will be merely weeks as we expect to have the first of the new models on sale in October this year.

Sorry we can’t say more yet, but we really want it to be a surprise…..

Reading through the vagueness I think it will be a choice of wagons not a loco.

Digital money system readied for Telford :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Coachman (who doesnt like building coaches, Ha ha!),

BTW The Lionheart/Dapol B Sets et al are under way and might suit your needs?

ATVB

CME.

The Lionheart B' Set is only a whisker away from you Coachman, if you want a gander at any time....................

You've already commented on it on my thread. ;)

I don't really want to go off message here, but how much would buyers be prepared to pay for a good RTR coach?

Well being fair, I would of said £225 - £275 actually, as there are some difficulties in producing a quality item such that Minerva produce, and maintain a good entry price and a reasonable profit. Basing it against the Lionheart coaches, the 2-Car  B' Set is a very nice model, but has now gone up in price I believe, to what the introductory prices were.

For bogie coaches, yes.

But is there a need for another B-Set?

What about a 4 wheel GWR coach?

No, duplication isn't the best thing, especially in the smaller 7mm market.

4-wheelers?  Yes now that may be a good idea, as not only did they hang around during grouping, but in departmental use long after that!!!

If you are looking for suggestions, Dean clerestory coaches to run alongside the Slater's kits.  If you like that idea then please look carefully at the GWR composite diagrams, especially the tri-comps for through working over the Cambrian (maybe with roof boards for Tonfanau), and the clerestory slip coaches.   If those feature in your plans then somewhere in the region of £300 for one in pre-1908 chocolate / brown or lined lake.

Hornby's 4mm clerestories have been around in one guise or another for donkey's years!!!

£200 or thereabouts I think is a good price. The Collett 57 foot high waist stock would be a good choice long lived, plenty of liveries, go well with the variety of GW motive power coming out, short sets long sets!!

Totally agree, but I'm biased as they could be rostered onto TJ, but maybe Hawksworth stock or Stanier II & III stock (another type of coach that ended up on many Welsh branch railways).

Not a wish list, but because we've suddenly had this influx of low cost 7mm railway items onto the market these last couple of years, we shouldn't reduce quality in any way to just be competitive on price, as looking at the 8750 that should be on my doormat next week, if varying types of coaches were available to the same standard, I'd certainly be prepared to pay a touch more, rather than have compromises due to budget.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman

Great well thought through post Jinty sums the facts up very well.

Agree completely with your comment on quality must be maintained and the price not dropped just to be competitive.  My comment is just because it is costly doesn't mean it's a quality item.

I'm a little surprised that Chris is asking this question as from his position on the inside he should be able to compare his expected build price to others and get a fair idea what he would need to charge the market.

As I say in my previous post Chris has made quality models which have sold for slightly less than equivalent other manufacturers so I would think the same would apply to similar coaches. 

Best

Edited by Barnaby

I would be attracted to post 1920 GWR plastic RTR corridor coaches costing £200 to £250 each, but then who wouldn't?  

A good start was made with a B-set and an auto coach, so I imagine people want Collett's bow-enders with 'G' or recessed door handles and 1930's low waist stock......The kind of vehicles found all across the post-grouping GWR and Western Region. 

Whoever much people fancy them, 6-wheel coaches, clerestores and toplight coaches were not typical by the mid 1930's. This market therefore is too small.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I don't really want to go off message here, but how much would buyers be prepared to pay for a good RTR coach?

I would love to see some 7mm BR Mk1s so the same standard as Bachmann's excellent 4mm versions and think £200 - £250 to be a fair price. The underframes are pretty common to all, but with so many body permutations, I suppose cost is the main reason that it's not happened yet (Bachmann, having done all the hard work, being the obvious contenders). I imagine Minerva would be taking a huge financial risk if they took a stab at them, though at least the quality (unlike the awful Heljan efforts), would be assured.

Regards

Dan