East Midlands Miscellany

So Forset are in my neck of the woods this afternoon. Up the Cherries!

Anyway, getting back to railways, we've not really looked at the Great Central. So here in March 1973 is Hotchley Hill, on the old GC mainline north of East Leake. BR Type 2 D7615 is out with the Toton breakdown train to attend to a derailed wagon in the sidings.

post-6880-0-47012400-1398514809.jpg

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 1

Of course, Sir Brian went on to bigger and better things at the more illustrious neighbours the other side of Trent Junction!

Rob

I would much rather live in the present and remember the recent match at Pride Park which was a FIVE star performance ;-)

i think your right, i used to be based in chaddesden sidings with fastline freight and there still looked to be room to reinstate a line if they wanted to alongside wyvern way, there is even a bridge on derwent way that could get a line under it

This came up on another forum a few months back.  There are some useful pics on Britainfromabove and comparing them with current aerial views shows that the A52 and its connections to the A5111 blocks the former route at the Spondon end, although the A5111 itself pre-dated the closure of the Chaddesden route.  So any reinstatement would be a difficult junction as well has having to demolish a large part of Pride Park.  As to time savings, I assume the through route was closed once the Nottingham-Crewe/Birmingham trains became DMUs when it would have been quicker just to reverse in the platform than to go round Chaddesden, 5mph curve and all. 

It would be prudent to keep a double-track formation clear on the south side of Wyvern Way to possibly create a route from the Nottingham line direct to Chaddesden and thence into Derby station from the north. A new alignment would have to be provided of about 1km in length; a junction onto the curving Derby-Nottm line would be awkward but not impossible.

post-6880-0-56778300-1398520333.jpg

Indeed, it would be prudent Peter!

As I've said for a long time now, railway lines/formations should be regarded as a national strategic reserve and preserved whether with tracks or not.

But, a British government with an eye on anything but the next election or current crisis? Nah!

Ho hum, back to life as it was in the 70's/80's, eh? (pics later!)

Cheers,

John E.

The annual Horticultural Show at Derby Loco Works at the end of August - better known as the works "Open Day", attracted many enthusiasts from far and wide. I can still remember the long queues as we waited to get in.

Here we see a group of youthful spotters at one of the open days in the early

1960s. I wonder what the number of that withdrawn 4F was? Looks like 44---

A (much) younger "Western Sunset" seems more intent on noting down the number of the Peak though.....

post-6880-0-59354100-1398523850.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The annual Horticultural Show at Derby Loco Works at the end of August - better known as the works "Open Day", attracted many enthusiasts from far and wide. I can still remember the long queues as we waited to get in.

Here we see a group of youthful spotters at one of the open days in the early

1960s. I wonder what the number of that withdrawn 4F was? Looks like 44---

A (much) younger "Western Sunset" seems more intent on noting down the number of the Peak though.....

Gosh. I was there that day as well. That brings back memories indeed.

post-6880-0-56778300-1398520333.jpg

For my 11th birthday in March 1967 I was allowed to go on the train from Nottingham to Crewe for the first time. The Cravens three car DMU from Nottingham was routed via Chaddesden and I saw my first class 40 in one of the yards. It was the only time I ever went that way or saw a passenger service take that route.

Edited by johnw1
  • Like 1

Hello John,

WTTs of the early/mid 1960s show that most Lincoln/Nottm - Derby locals arrived from the east via Chadd. The return workings were generally direct via London Road Jn.

Apart from the need to obviate reversing in Derby station, it avoided conflict with northbound B'ham - Sheffield/Leeds traffic.

Off to Skeggy - Summer 1983 style. A pair of Toton Cl.20s accelerate away from Derby with their rake of Mk1s. Essential "haulage" for any self-respecting railfan of the period.

About where the junction would have to be if the Chaddesden loop was reinstated as suggested in previous posts!