East Midlands Miscellany

Lincoln (Central) was one of those stations that flattered to deceive. A large layout but with apparently not much happening most of the time. Most of the services were provided by DMU's, even by the early 1960s. Looks like a freight has passed this way recently with a faulty bottom hopper door, judging by the white powder spread between the rails.

The 'powder' is white silica sand from Middleton Towers going to York, Knottingley, Barnby Dun or Monk Bretton. The door is unlikely to be faulty just normal for the COVHOPs used at this time. Anywhere this train ran it left it's little trail, usually through each facing point lock... I wonder just how much sand lays between King's Lynn and the other locations mentioned?..

Have a look at this shot taken at King's Lynn. The train only ran round/shunted here, not loaded..

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/Cambridge-to-Kings-Lynn/i-hwCg86x/A

There were occasions when train left larger deposits of sand..

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/Cambridge-to-Kings-Lynn/i-qTvWvvk/A

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

Route of the 8am Nottm Vic - Cleethorpes in 1959 (ran SO 11th July - 29th Aug):

Nottm Victoria 08.00

Bulwell Common 08.10

Hucknall Central 08.17

Mansfield Central 08.48

Edwinstowe 09.06

Ollerton 09.12

Lincoln Central 10.00

Grimsby Docks 11.07

Cleethorpes 11.16

This was usually a K3 job, so I imagine a Derby excursion went a similar way, going round the spur from Basford North to Bulwell Common, to take up this route.

Jonny777, - I am fairly sure it was a weekday trip. Can't remember when schools broke up in those days and it was a long time ago. Friargate to Cleethorpes behind a K3 sound interesting though, I wonder if it went via Mansfield and the LD&EC?

Richard

I think the summer break was about 6 weeks in those days, from about July 20th to the first full week of September.

There were more in 1959, possibly due to BR taking advantage of the excellent summer weather, for extra revenue.

On Monday July 27th 1959 the Derby excursion was headed by Colwick stalwart 61188.

On Thurs July 30th there was another excursion from Derby, but as the loco was 44818 it may have originated at Midland.

Another on Aug 6th (Thurs) had 61982 in charge.

Lincoln, Pelham Street Junction, March 1983:

post-6971-0-77961600-1399578784.jpg

post-6971-0-25525000-1399578787.jpg

Edit: is that the same line of spilt white powder between the tracks as in post 373 on the previous page??

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80912-east-midlands-miscellany/?p=1442900

and the same spot in May 2011:

post-6971-0-09246000-1399578782.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 10

Yes it is the silica sand again. Clearly the current wagons have better doors as the train still goes that way.

Edit to add.. The train would have gone via the Lincoln avoider but i guess by 1983 that was out of use?

Edited by LNERGE

Now, you have made my day - and possibly my year with those two photos.

63639 was one of the regular 04s that I used to see in the early 1960s, so much so that shouts of "scrap it" were probably heard when it appeared for the 'n'th time. Unfortunately, my wishes came true all too quickly and I have had many decades in which to repent at the blase contempt with regular steam locos were treated in those days.

However, this is like meeting an old friend once again. Mind you, I look at 63770 and wonder if it is ever going to be possible to re-create that level of weathering on an 00 gauge model?  It does look as though the option of an early or late crest on the tender is not particularly relevant to many of this class.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great shots, I used to love Nottingham Victoria, didn't cop a lot there but it was just so different, awesome(true meaning folks!!). Brilliant thread this, nostalgia and wonderful photography of places I can relate to. To think we just used to take them for granted!

Rgds........Mike

It really makes you realise how small the APT was to allow it to tilt. The British loading gauge is small to start with and the powercar looks a bit 'dinky' along side the mark 1. Are the Pendolinos this small?

ROB

Now, you have made my day - and possibly my year with those two photos.

63639 was one of the regular 04s that I used to see in the early 1960s, so much so that shouts of "scrap it" were probably heard when it appeared for the 'n'th time. Unfortunately, my wishes came true all too quickly and I have had many decades in which to repent at the blase contempt with regular steam locos were treated in those days.

However, this is like meeting an old friend once again. Mind you, I look at 63770 and wonder if it is ever going to be possible to re-create that level of weathering on an 00 gauge model?  It does look as though the option of an early or late crest on the tender is not particularly relevant to many of this class.

Me too, I've wanted to see a decent colour photo of 63770 for a long time, it was one of those I remember seeing almost every time I went 'down Basford' New Basford was only half a mile from home so spent a lot of time there.

This is ( should be if it works!) my interpretation. Taken on Deepcar the scenery isn't really yellow, something to do with the flourescent lights I presume? I have a picture taken away from the lights but it's a bit fuzzy.

post-110-0-15606500-1399752391_thumb.jpg

Edit for punctuation.

Edited by great central
  • Like 3

It really makes you realise how small the APT was to allow it to tilt. The British loading gauge is small to start with and the powercar looks a bit 'dinky' along side the mark 1. Are the Pendolinos this small?

ROB

The APT had a greater angle of tilt than the Pendolino so was presumably smaller. 

Hope Kettering counts as East Mids. Here, a 25+brake van trundles through on the freight/slow lines in about 1982.

There's a fair bit of "period detail" in these two shots: the old style yard lamp, all the mechanical signalling paraphernalia, the yellow staff van, the loading gauge, a red platform trolley (worryingly parked at 90° to the track), a sign for the Rail-link coach to Corby, the rest of the corporate image signs, the typical two-post Midland telegraph poles... At least the canopies are still there.

attachicon.gifN44_0020.jpg

attachicon.gifN44_0021.jpg

Definitely, I was born there and spent many a lunch break on those platforms. :)

A more prosaic scene with a Cl.114 2-car DMU waiting to leave Nottingham for Grantham in 1981.

I assume at this time it was not an issue to have two vehicles with the same number on TOPS?

Rob

Nothing like some snow to bring out the photographers!

Leicester, probably 1982 or possibly 1983. Two 56s going from the up main to the up goods lines. Good selection on the depot:

post-6971-0-23676200-1399804976.jpg

And the same winter, a 31/4 with a white stripe on a Norwich-Birmingham, in falling snow:

post-6971-0-97085100-1399805209.jpg

• Like 8

I assume at this time it was not an issue to have two vehicles with the same number on TOPS?

Rob

DMUs were not reported on TOPS at that time, that is why, when they were added, some of them had to be renumbered,

vehicles in the 50xxx range becoming 53xxx, and 56xxx becoming 54xxx, hence 50001 became 53001.

I have a Platform 5 Multiple Unit Pocket Book Spring 1983 Special renumbering edition that gives the details.

cheers

Me too, I've wanted to see a decent colour photo of 63770 for a long time, it was one of those I remember seeing almost every time I went 'down Basford' New Basford was only half a mile from home so spent a lot of time there.

This is ( should be if it works!) my interpretation. Taken on Deepcar the scenery isn't really yellow, something to do with the flourescent lights I presume? I have a picture taken away from the lights but it's a bit fuzzy.

attachicon.gifDSCF1375.JPG

Edit for punctuation.

That is excellent. I love the smokebox and cylinder cover weathering.

• RMweb Gold

Out in the snow again at Peartree on the south western outskirts of Derby. Steel blooms head for the rolling mill at BSC Shelton from Lackenby in 1981.

Can't remember how many times I stood up against that fence in the late fifties.........but the weather was NEVER that bad in those days :senile:

Another fine shot, full of atmosphere.

Rgds.........Mike