East Midlands Miscellany

Agreed - I've been thinking that myself - let's have some proper pictures instead of links.

How difficult is it to click a link? Most of johnw1's pictures have been absolutely superb and the historical notes that go with them are fascinating.

Rob

How difficult is it to click a link? Most of johnw1's pictures have been absolutely superb and the historical notes that go with them are fascinating.

Rob

If you have to click a link and your on a limited download allowance it can easily be used up !!! much better if a smaller picture is shown in the post.

• Like 2

But you'll still recognise this spot Jim; Weston upon Trent, on the Stenson - Sheet Stores freight line.

In the 1970s and 80s, the annual Spalding Flower Festival was a big draw for railway excursions. Here 47511 "Thames" heads an excursion from Plymouth to Spalding. Quite a long way round to Spalding, but i'm sure everyone had a good day out. The village primary school can be seen on the right. This has been replaced by one in a new location, home to an annual model railway show.

post-6880-0-98345100-1396384805.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

post-224-0-71903800-1396385242_thumb.jpg

An un identified class 56 making its way round from the Corby Southwood sidings area to the Corby Tube Works with a delivery of steel strip coils from Margam I guess. 1996.

Geoff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

post-224-0-48223200-1396388415_thumb.jpg

66091 sneaks out of the Corby Tube works with the 10:22 Corby B.S.C. to MargamT.C. empties having set off 10 minutes early and about to pass under the Weldon Road. 31 March 2014.

Geoff

• Like 2

Still at Weston-on-Trent, though on a much duller winter's afternoon. Here a Cl.45/0 heads past the site of the former station with eastbound empty HBAs. The old station building can be glimpsed behind the yellow BR van. OS maps show the name of the village as Weston-on-Trent, though the parish name on the same maps reads Weston upon Trent. Take your pick.

post-6880-0-70979400-1396468972.jpg

• Like 6

Still at Weston-on-Trent, though on a much duller winter's afternoon. Here a Cl.45/0 heads past the site of the former station with eastbound empty HBAs. The old station building can be glimpsed behind the yellow BR van. OS maps show the name of the village as Weston-on-Trent, though the parish name on the same maps reads Weston upon Trent. Take your pick.

Really enjoyed this pic, haze from the exhaust , load on the curve a superb shot of a 45, great stuff.

But you'll still recognise this spot Jim; Weston upon Trent, on the Stenson - Sheet Stores freight line.

In the 1970s and 80s, the annual Spalding Flower Festival was a big draw for railway excursions. Here 47511 "Thames" heads an excursion from Plymouth to Spalding. Quite a long way round to Spalding, but i'm sure everyone had a good day out. The village primary school can be seen on the right. This has been replaced by one in a new location, home to an annual model railway show.

Thanks for the show plug. Check out the show details in the exhibition section.

There can't be many of us who've not walked down the lane from the site of Stapleford & Sandiacre station, past the scrapyard with the incessently barking guard dogs, then up the bank to see this view.

Toton has been lucky in that it's always been a key location in the railway network. Growth in Midland days, modernisation of the yards by both the LMS and BR, then the establishment of what was at one time Europe's largest diesel depot. The next decades will perhaps see even greater changes with HS2 and the new East Midlands station here.

But back in the early 1980s one could still sit and watch freight trains being hump shunted. Here a cut of wagons roll down from the Up Hump and head for Fan 2 of the West Yard.

Ratcliffe Power Station dominates the horizon, as it has since the mid 1960s.

post-6880-0-88284000-1396719244.jpg

• Like 7

Now that had me confused for a minute, until I noticed the date, 2013.  Prior to that, the loop (with the 170) was the Down Goods Loop.  Since then, the re-laying of Trent Jn to ease the crossings between the Erewash Valley, Sheet Stores and Main lines and the transfer of control from Trent PSB to Derby, the line has become the Down Slow.  The signal seen to the right of the 170 was (before resignalling) slightly unusual in that it was a 2A R/G signal in a 4A Y/G/Y/R area. Now it is, I presume, a 4A 2-lens LED signal.

The train is certainly the Corby - Lackenby steel empties but I'm not sure where I took this shot. Might be around Trentlock with the empties taking the mainline rather than the High Level Goods.

Looks like Trentlock to me, with the hill in the background, Ratcliffe power station off to the right.  You can even see the trail of steam from the cooling towers...

Edited by DavidBird