East Midlands Miscellany

• RMweb Gold

Lincoln certainly is in the East Midlands.

i must admit, i always thought that lincoln was somewhere near east anglia or the fens (until not that long ago either!!), it wasnt until i started working on the railway in the east midlands that i found out it was a lot closer and futher north than i thought, however to me its not what i would call the east midlands, but i dont know where i'd class it either!

similarly doncaster, when i was little and used to go on spotting trips with my dad it always seemed futher north than it is!

similarly doncaster, when i was little and used to go on spotting trips with my dad it always seemed futher north than it is!

I always though Didcot was an escapee from the Midlands. Must have been the lines of brick houses and the power station. My other half (from the north), always got excited when we passed a sign on the motorway saying "The North", but disheartened when she saw "The Midlands" because it meant a long way to anywhere interesting. Well that's what she said - she obviously hadn't seen this thread.

• Like 1

I always though Didcot was an escapee from the Midlands. Must have been the lines of brick houses and the power station. My other half (from the north), always got excited when we passed a sign on the motorway saying "The North", but disheartened when she saw "The Midlands" because it meant a long way to anywhere interesting. Well that's what she said - she obviously hadn't seen this thread.

When I worked at Swindon WR HQ there was some friendly ribbing of a couple of people from Oxford suggesting that it was in the middle of nowhere,

it is not the west country, the south or the south east. I think the local bus company had been 'Oxford South Midlands'

cheers

• Like 1

There are many definitions of the East Midlands. These change over time and (it often appears) inclination.Generally it's considered to cover Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Rutland and Northamptonshire. However parts of North Lincs are now in the Yorkshire & Humberside Region.

Parts of NW Derbyshire look more towards Manchester, whilst Burton (in Staffordshire and thus in the West Midlands) has strong links to South Derbyshire and NW Leics. There are strong links between Sheffield and NE Derbyshire too.

Anyway, here's an AL1 class electric at Northampton in 1969 on an up fast freight. How "East Midlands" do you consider this?

Geography lesson over for today.....

post-6880-0-05544400-1398810802.jpg

• Like 5

There are many definitions of the East Midlands. These change over time and (it often appears) inclination.Generally it's considered to cover Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Rutland and Northamptonshire. However parts of North Lincs are now in the Yorkshire & Humberside Region.

Parts of NW Derbyshire look more towards Manchester, whilst Burton (in Staffordshire and thus in the West Midlands) has strong links to South Derbyshire and NW Leics. There are strong links between Sheffield and NE Derbyshire too.

Anyway, here's an AL1 class electric at Northampton in 1969 on an up fast freight. How "East Midlands" do you consider this?

Geography lesson over for today.....

I grew up in Burton, we always considered ourselves in the East Midlands.

Can we see the pics please and not just links, we all don't have unlimited download allowances

Also those of us who are more interested in the locations than the traction have no idea where these are without downloading all of them. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

burton just confuses matters, staffordshire in the east midlands doesn't sound right!!

crewe is another weird one, i consider it to be the north west, but some say north midlands, however TV wise granada news doesn't seem relevent to me whereas central news has more 'local' news

Can we see the pics please and not just links, we all don't have unlimited download allowances

Which is exactly the reason why links may be better, if you are worried about your data allowance then don't click them, simples!

It takes time to resize photos and post them on site, which may be time that johnw1 does not have. And as I said, if the picture is in the post then have virtually no choice but to download it, thereby eating into your allowance for an image that you may have no interest in seeing.

When I have posted images I have put them in the post but that was my choice, doing it this way is John's choice and I don't have a problem with it. Also the quality of his images is excellent and I hope he continues to post.

ROB

Have to disagree Rob and not just because you support Forest :scratchhead:

To me the idea is that one is able to read through a thread. Some of the posts are just text, some include an illustration.That's fine by me because it all flows well.

But where the entire post is just a series of links with just a loco/vehicle number and no indication of the location, then I do find it off-putting and it breaks up this flow. Bit like read something with lots of footnotes at the back.

The poster's images are of excellent quality, but for all of us time is short. It only takes a moment to resize something and post it.

Just my view and doubtless the poster can argue the point himself if he wishes.

Regards,

Peter

Have to disagree Rob and not just because you support Forest :scratchhead:

To me the idea is that one is able to read through a thread. Some of the posts are just text, some include an illustration.That's fine by me because it all flows well.

But where the entire post is just a series of links with just a loco/vehicle number and no indication of the location, then I do find it off-putting and it breaks up this flow. Bit like read something with lots of footnotes at the back.

The poster's images are of excellent quality, but for all of us time is short. It only takes a moment to resize something and post it.

Just my view and doubtless the poster can argue the point himself if he wishes.

Regards,

Peter

Ah well, each to his own. We don't all have to agree all the time do we? That's what makes life more interesting!

ROB

burton just confuses matters, staffordshire in the east midlands doesn't sound right!!

crewe is another weird one, i consider it to be the north west, but some say north midlands, however TV wise granada news doesn't seem relevent to me whereas central news has more 'local' news

Ah but Burton does have a DE postcode.

Some of us in Derby still get our TV from Sutton Coldfield. BBC West Midlands News doesn't bother about Derbyshire or Liecestershire but fortunately ITV Central does.

People from Stoke get very cross if you even suggest they're from the West Midlands; I should know, as I've been married to one for 31 years. I'd suggest North Midlands for Stoke/ Crewe/ Chesterfield, and East Midlands for Derby/ Burton.