East Midlands Miscellany

Picking up on post 233 with the single 25 on freightliners, here's one (in the Kettering area I think), about 1982-3, with bricks on freightliner wagons. Sorry about the lack of detail, indexing not up to date on this one.

post-6971-0-49153000-1398022758.jpg

I've another photo of a 25 on the Greater Manchester "binliners", but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

Alongside the site of Stapleford & Sandiacre station in 1980, Cl.44 44007 draws forward on the Down Goods line, prior to setting back its train onto the New Bank arrival lines at Toton. Meanwhile a pair of Cl.20s await the road on the Up Goods.

Would the 44 have come from Etruria with steelwork from BSC Shelton?

I seem to recall that was a regular out and back working that would get a 44 home each day.

cheers

No reason why a Cl.25 couldn't work a Freightliner, though I've not seen too many pictures of them doing it - cue lots of pictures on RMweb now.

Anyway, here in 1981 is one such working between Barrow upon Trent and Swarkestone. This is probably a Birmingham Lawley Street to Nottingham working.

Not that common in my experience, I have one photo of a 25 on Freightliner work, at Trent Junction, it may be the same working,

though my notes have it as a Dudley - Nottingham service, I may well be wrong

post-7081-0-74344500-1398026406_thumb.jpg

25051 heads past Trent Junction towards Nottingham Freightliner terminal, 15/9/80

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 4

Not that common in my experience, I have one photo of a 25 on Freightliner work, at Trent Junction, it may be the same working,

though my notes have it as a Dudley - Nottingham service, I may well be wrong

25051 heads past Trent Junction towards Nottingham Freightliner terminal, 15/9/80

cheers

Interesting load - lorry trailer? - on the first wagon.

Interesting load - lorry trailer? - on the first wagon.

It's a skeletal trailer, almost certainly for Freightliner's own use; putting it on a flat container would have been the easiest way of moving it, as it would only need to be strapped down to the flat, rather than have special slings and a suitable crane found at each end of its journey. I have somewhere a photo of a bogie flatwagon being moved in similar fashion; each bogie rested on a 20' flat container, both of which were then loaded on to a Cargowaggon flat (the flat containers being retained by tension-straps on the carrying wagon, which didn't have twistlocks)

Slight puzzle here at Derby early in 1981. I think this vehicle, E1322, is an ex-LNER design of CCT built at York in 1950 to Lot 1223. However I can't find it listed so it must've been withdrawn (probably in the 1979), well before I took this photo in 1981.

There was an ex-SR PMV with the same number that was still in service at this time (1981), but it doesn't look like one of those to me.

Perhaps this CCT was on it's last run, or had it been transferred to departmental stock and not been renumbered?

post-6880-0-48081600-1398095828.jpg

• Like 1

E1322 LNER CCT still in the 1978 RCTS coaching stock book, but gone from the 1980 edition.

But departmentals.com lists QRV RDB 975792 ex-LNER 1322 as a "Track Research Stores van", and the RDB prefix indicating (Derby) Research would seem to fit nicely with your pic.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Guest B Exam

Was coming back from Pride Park today after seeing Derby County win again today and saw a very unexpected sight. Two fairly old diesel locomotives in a livery that had a passing resemblence to British Railways green double head a short wagon freight over Five Arches bridge. I believe one carried a class 31 number, I think the other was the same class but, I think, had a four digit number beginning with 7. Being a steam enthusiast I could not give the exact class of these locos, but they were definitely the type I have seen running on preserved lines. Sadly no camera to hand!

They would of both been Class 31s. Both painted green, but only one in BR green livery. The BR green one would of been 31190 which carries D numbers (D5613) and Devon & Cornwall Railways green 31601. They would working the RailVac train north to Yorkshire when you saw them.

One expects most types of rail vehicle to appear in Derby at some point, usually en-route to the then Railway Technical Centre. However on this day in spring 1980 I didn't expect to see a Class 33 on a scheduled freight train. It arrived alongside the station and I took this picture as it was standing on the down goods line. The headcode was "FC" and the train was made up of 2-axle Class A oil tank wagons. I never saw anything about this working in the railway press at the time - not like today when every move is recorded in advance. After 34 years I wonder if anyone can shed light on the working. My best shot is that it was on a working to St Andrew's oil terminal, just south of London Road bridge, possibly from Fawley.

post-6880-0-26837200-1398201507.jpg

• Like 3

Guest B Exam

One expects most types of rail vehicle to appear in Derby at some point, usually en-route to the then Railway Technical Centre. However on this day in spring 1980 I didn't expect to see a Class 33 on a scheduled freight train. It arrived alongside the station and I took this picture as it was standing on the down goods line. The headcode was "FC" and the train was made up of 2-axle Class A oil tank wagons. I never saw anything about this working in the railway press at the time - not like today when every move is recorded in advance. After 34 years I wonder if anyone can shed light on the working. My best shot is that it was on a working to St Andrew's oil terminal, just south of London Road bridge, possibly from Fawley.

33s were more common at Derby than what you would imagine. I have a photo of a 33 on the Beeston-Derby St Mary's trip in Aug 1987. Its not been scanned yet, so you'll have to wait.

For a rare East Mids 33 photo....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53299842@N08/5963149115/

Another 33, number not legible, in 1987 at N Staffs Jn with a couple of what look like departmental coaches. Oil tanks as well as coal hoppers in the power station.

post-6971-0-39775500-1398284230.jpg

Couple more from the same day, 20s and a 56 on power station duties, and a steam loco with an apparently withdrawn coach, plus a preserved one. Odd, and also unexpected, as I didn't have any gen. Pure luck.

post-6971-0-31361500-1398284551.jpg

post-6971-0-52012300-1398284553.jpg

• Like 7

I have thoroughly enjoyed looking through the posts showing some local shots from yesteryear. There has been plenty of diesel traction so I thought I would redress the balance a little. Here is a shot of "Princess Elizabeth" passing through Swarkestone on a special a couple of years ago. I did manage to get this shot published in the Derby Evening Telegraph.

post-13478-0-01038600-1398289611_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I too have really enjoyed this thread so I thought I'd better make my contribution at last!

Now, I don't have a scanner or anything sophisticated so my apologies for the less clear shots as these are digital photos of the original prints, hope they look ok.

post-6892-0-47086200-1398341810.jpg

Unknown pair of class 45 Peaks heading into Derby Platform (5?)(the bay platform between 4 & 6!), probably for a shuffling move. Hang on, that can't be right! Wasn't P5 a single track bay? Looking again, this looks more like the North end of P1? Sorry about my memory!

post-6892-0-37501200-1398341820.jpg

Overall view of Derby Loco works, complete with a 'mess' of engineering vehicles in front!

post-6892-0-69502200-1398341839.jpg

25 254 and unknown class 20 moving from the fuelling point in front of "Engine Sidings No. 2" box.

These pics are undated but included for later (if anyones wishes to see!) is the destruction of the original Derby Midland station, shame! Some more personal ones would appear to date these to around Spring 1985?

Cheers,

John E.

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 6

Right! I'll just get these uploaded while I'm in the 'mood'!

post-6892-0-90803600-1398342699.jpg

151 002 coming in to Derby P2 from a run from Nottingham (Lincoln?)

post-6892-0-93818100-1398342706.jpg

47 631 on aircon Mk2's on P1, heading North. Possibly a service from Portsmouth or even a SW/NE run? (South West/North East but it looks like the vernacular for a pig!!!)

post-6892-0-66680900-1398342714.jpg

"Flying Scotsman" passes through the goods lines on a flying visit.

As before, these are probably from about Spring 1985.

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 4