East Midlands Miscellany

• RMweb Premium

Just shows there's a prototype for everything - where's the "Hand of God" when you need it!

The shot of Toton on the last page shows just how much space there is there which if all goes according to plan will be the East Midlands HS2 station although the City Council continue to lobby for the line to be diverted through Derby station (as shown on the previous page as well) - hasn't that changed over the years and due to change again with Electrification due to bring a new track and platform layout. Looks like you need to get back to the old home town for some more photos before it's all gone  :bye:

• Like 1

Approaching Knighton Junction from the Coalville line with aggregates on a misty morning in 1982, near to Berry's scrapyard turning:

post-6971-0-00933300-1396899767.jpg

Traffic was a bit sparse over that line, never got a photo in decent conditions there. This was my only other half-decent one, 56059 in 1981:

post-6971-0-81741200-1396900057.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

No reason why a Cl.25 couldn't work a Freightliner, though I've not seen too many pictures of them doing it - cue lots of pictures on RMweb now.

Anyway, here in 1981 is one such working between Barrow upon Trent and Swarkestone. This is probably a Birmingham Lawley Street to Nottingham working.

post-6880-0-87099100-1396999424.jpg

• Like 4

No reason why a Cl.25 couldn't work a Freightliner, though I've not seen too many pictures of them doing it - cue lots of pictures on RMweb now.

Anyway, here in 1981 is one such working between Barrow upon Trent and Swarkestone. This is probably a Birmingham Lawley Street to Nottingham working.

The 1982 WTT (again!) actually states that, for some reason, the 4D51, 12:15 Freightliner from Lawley St to Nottingham FLT is for Class 25 haulage.  This is the only train in the WTT that has the loco class specified. All others just have a timing load. (The Trip Notice does list the traction for each working, though.)

I only remember spotting the evening departure, about 19:30, for Coatbridge, this was always 47 hauled.

4D51

Freightliner

from

Lawley

Street

F.L.T.

D

SX

AIR

Train

length 32

SLUs

Sheet Stores Jn d  13/551/2

Trent              13/58

Class 25

locomotive

Beeston Sth Jn  d  14/05

Nottingham FLT  a  14 08

Edited by DavidBird

• RMweb Gold

post-224-0-97915300-1397303380_thumb.jpg

66606 powers through the crossover at Kettering North Junction at 14:50 0n 10 April 2014 with the 11:17 Neasdon Charrington Flhh to Bardon Hill Quarry Fhh service 54 minutes early. This service is only scheduled for 10 and 11 April 2014.

• Like 3

Was coming back from Pride Park today after seeing Derby County win again today and saw a very unexpected sight. Two fairly old diesel locomotives in a livery that had a passing resemblence to British Railways green double head a short wagon freight over Five Arches bridge. I believe one carried a class 31 number, I think the other was the same class but, I think, had a four digit number beginning with 7. Being a steam enthusiast I could not give the exact class of these locos, but they were definitely the type I have seen running on preserved lines. Sadly no camera to hand!

Edited by andyram

Still at Weston-on-Trent, though on a much duller winter's afternoon. Here a Cl.45/0 heads past the site of the former station with eastbound empty HBAs. The old station building can be glimpsed behind the yellow BR van. OS maps show the name of the village as Weston-on-Trent, though the parish name on the same maps reads Weston upon Trent. Take your pick.

I'd venture this is the empties of the Toton- Ellesmere port via the North Staffs

One of the trainmen kicks his heels on the platform as his steel train from Teesside to the West Midlands waits at signal DY444 in Derby station.

And that this is a Lackenby to Etruria (BSC Shelton) working which was worked by class 2 x31 before being replaced by 2x37 and then finally by a single Class 60.

In the days when electricity generation was in public hands in the form of the CEGB, an MGR train runs through the unloading bunker at Ratcliffe Power Station.

Usually the signalling in the area was 4-aspect Red/Yellow/Green/Yellow, or 3-aspect Red/Yellow/Green.  Here we have a pair of single aspect fixed Red signals, with calling-on position lights.  The "theatre" indicator to the right of the post is a "variable speed limit indicator", showing 1/mph for unloading, or 5 mph for light engine movements through the bunker.  The diagram is available from http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/index.php, archives/signalling notices/british railways/london midland.

The fixed red with calling-on is appropriate, because after the bunker are "Toton Signals" http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67638-totoncreep-indicators-anyone-tried-diy/ which mean "Stop Immediately".  The calling-on position lights, when lit, mean "pass at extreme caution and be prepared to stop at any obstruction." In this case the obstruction would be the Toton Signal at "Stop".

"Peaks" are outnumbered 2:1 by HST power cars undergoing overhaul inside Derby Loco Works in this 1982 view.

Great pic, however, as there were two power cars to one class 45, should it not really be 1:1?