East Midlands Miscellany

I think Richard's point is that the train is on the Up line a few yards short of the Zero milepost on the Bristol line, after which it becomes a Down train going towards Chesterfield. 

But if anyone has a plan of the new layout, I'd be interested too! 

I think Richard's point is that the train is on the Up line a few yards short of the Zero milepost on the Bristol line, after which it becomes a Down train going towards Chesterfield. 

But if anyone has a plan of the new layout, I'd be interested too!

Ah!

In my Deltic bashing days there was a legendary basher (he was the one who kissed 55022's nameplate at Kings Cross on the last service train) and I think it was him who was bashing a pair of 20s back from Skegness via Elton. Supposedly the train was stopped at Elton and he bailed out there just to say he had rare haulage to an obscure station!

Apologies to him if he reads this and it is a shaggy dog story.....

I once saw a couple of highly abusive young women (no tickets but plenty of needle marks on arms) ejected from a Grantham bound train at Elton and Orston by the guard. I did wonder how they got on, since it was Saturday evening and the next train wasn't until Monday.

• RMweb Premium

A few from me of Skegness taken one Sunday morning in the early 90's when the station was closed. A trip to obtain images before construction of the layout begun. Layout became East Thorpe Quay that was on the exhibition circuit in the 1990's and still exists as  a static layout in my loft sorry "Man Cave".

BR Yellow Van with travelling fitters to service the DMU.

post-7289-0-89345400-1401741365.jpg

Said DMU in platform

post-7289-0-51670100-1401741438.jpg

Canopy and Buffer stops

post-7289-0-97912600-1401741457.jpg

The Jolly Fisherman on the concourse. (is he still there after all the changes to the station?)

post-7289-0-24152700-1401741537.jpg

All the buildings at the front have been recently demolished (see Google Streetview not sure how to insert the link!) 

• Like 7

A few from me of Skegness taken one Sunday morning in the early 90's when the station was closed. A trip to obtain images before construction of the layout begun. Layout became East Thorpe Quay that was on the exhibition circuit in the 1990's and still exists as  a static layout in my loft sorry "Man Cave".

BR Yellow Van with travelling fitters to service the DMU.

attachicon.gifForecourt.JPG

Said DMU in platform

attachicon.gifPlatforms.JPG

Canopy and Buffer stops

attachicon.gifCanopy roof & Buffer stops.JPG

The Jolly Fisherman on the concourse. (is he still there after all the changes to the station?)

attachicon.gifEntrance from concourse.JPG

All the buildings at the front have been recently demolished (see Google Streetview not sure how to insert the link!) 

Jolly Fisherman still there, the buildings on the right of the entrance looking from the platform have gone, those on the left still there but disused. Only platforms 3 and 4 are used now, 2 occasionally has a track machine or similar stabled in. 5 and 6 effectively out of use as the point rodding was disconnected a couple of years back, I'm told after subsidence of the signal box made it very difficult to operate said points. Most services use platform 3 with the summer dated HST using 4. 

• Like 1

Here's 31409 on the chord line at Newark in June 1983. A place where you were subject to some sort of aromatic assault whichever way the wind blew. It was surrounded by a glue factory, an abbatoir, a brewery and a sugar beet refinery IIRC.

attachicon.gif830928 - 31409 Newark Jun 1983.jpg

Sewage plant on the north side of the Midland line at the Junction, behind the photgrapher, not pleasant when you have to wait for an ECML service to cross!

On 13.10.1981 I visited Old Dalby - got there by hitch hiking! - to see the dead Hymeks. I still remember walking from where the car driver dropped me off and seeing them in the distance.

33116313.32b7697f.1024.jpg

33116311.2d7665c2.1024.jpg

D7076 has a steam loco tender behind her with large holes cut in it?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

No. Its not a Steam tender. The Vehicle behind is one of the Drewry Cars used for OHL inspection. One is now owned by the EM2 society at the Middleton Railway at Leeds

post-7289-0-44474800-1401915224.jpg

From the Middleton Railway website http://c9425687.myzen.co.uk/MRT2/index.php/enthusiasts/our-engines-and-stock#OLIVE

Edited by Ramrig
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When the Research Centre were disposing of the stock the EM2 Society brought both units. One kept, the other scrapped after removing as many usable parts as possible. I have images somewhere of the visit to Old Dalby to assess the units prior to purchase. The Wickham unit was also there at the time as well if I recall correctly. I must look them out.  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

As promised a few shots from Old Dalby when we made the visit to view the two Drewry Cars in 1997. 

The unit before conversion/restoration as found at Old Dalby (Appologies not the best image, pre digital age)

post-7289-0-18405600-1402003940_thumb.jpg

Again with the Wickham in the background

post-7289-0-54358700-1402003983_thumb.jpg

The only shot I can find at present of the other unit (The one in Pinzas image above) of the former BR Crest on the side.

post-7289-0-43865300-1402004077_thumb.jpg

After restoration to green livery and conversion to passenger carrying status at The Middleton Railway.

post-7289-0-56140300-1402004377_thumb.jpg

today it carries the RTC livery

post-7289-0-88586900-1402004763.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic

80098 on The Night Owl Railtour March 2001. These tours were run to Sheffield and back from Derby. Out Via the Erewash Valley line and back down the Midland main line via Claycross/Ambergate etc. Used to test the spark arrestor equipment.

Shot of the loco and support Coach waiting to back on to the train

post-7289-0-99735700-1402005155_thumb.jpg

Later after returning to Derby on the North End of Platform 1 in the dock being watered prior to returning to MRC.

post-7289-0-05612400-1402005232_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

As promised a few shots from Old Dalby when we made the visit to view the two Drewry Cars in 1997. 

The unit before conversion/restoration as found at Old Dalby (Appologies not the best image, pre digital age)

attachicon.gifDrewry001.jpg

Again with the Wickham in the background

attachicon.gifDrewry002.jpg

The only shot I can find at present of the other unit (The one in Pinzas image above) of the former BR Crest on the side.

attachicon.gifDrewry003.jpg

After restoration to green livery and conversion to passenger carrying status at The Middleton Railway.

attachicon.gifDrewry005.jpg

today it carries the RTC livery

attachicon.gifDSCF1055 resized.jpg

Now I never knew such thing existed on our railways until now. I find it very interesting and fascinating of how the East Midlands were back in the 70's and 80's, and before and after until now. Just a thing. Was D7076/D7096 rescued at all? A shame if it wasn't.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

D7076 was restored and operates on the East Lancs Railway. D7096 was not so lucky.  :cry:

Taken from Wikipedia: - 

• D7076 - East Lancashire Railway D7076 survived, along with sister locomotive D7096, at the Railway Technical Centre near Derby, where they were used as dead loads for research purposes. Warship no. D832 Onslaught was additionally present at this site. Both Hymeks were in poor condition, however it proved possible to rebuild one by using the other as a donor locomotive. D7076 was therefore restored using parts from D7096 and carries the number D7096 internally in one driving cab as a nod to the donor locomotive, which was reduced to a shell and subsequently scrapped. Having been restored to working order,[when?] and used on service trains, D7076 was taken out of traffic in late 2008 for repairs to a leaking turbo and coolant faults. The engine was subsequently found to need a complete rebuild, so in an unusual move, a Maybach MD-655 engine from D1041 (Western Prince, stopped for overhaul) was fitted into the locomotive to make it a runner. The resulting loco was nicknamed a "WesMek". However, late 2009 / early 2010 D7076 was taken out of traffic due to the Maybach MD-655 engine developing a liner seal problem.

During summer 2011, two ex-Hymek MD-870 engines were discovered in a scrapyard in York, in excellent condition, having been used in a hospital emergency generator set. Both engines were purchased by D7076's owning group, and one has been fitted into D7076, which returned to service at the ELR's July 2011 diesel gala. The other engine is to be retained as a spare.

On the 11th November 2013 it was announced by the ELR:DG that work had started on bodywork repairs at Castlecroft Diesel Depot, and that D7076 will emerge in a new livery ready for their East Lancs Railway Summer Diesel Gala in 2014.

• Like 1

Now I never knew such thing existed on our railways until now. I find it very interesting and fascinating of how the East Midlands were back in the 70's and 80's, and before and after until now. Just a thing. Was D7076/D7096 rescued at all? A shame if it wasn't.

Oh yes , there were some strange sights to be seen in those days! In 1981 I made made my way to the Blue Circle cement plant to see the sole surviving Clayton Class 17 - sadly not in the East Midlands - but in 1991 I was volunteering on Peak Rail and saw the also sole surviving Metrovick Co-Bo D5705 on a rare outing from the old goods shed. The Co-Bo's survival story is truly bizarre. I can't wait to see this beast back in traffic!

21759885.0ff4102b.1024.jpg
  • Like 5

Guest B Exam

47739 today passing the inner city suburb of Sneinton in Nottingham with 6M08 17.20 Boston Docks to Washwood Heath steel train. With all the trees and bushes in view, its hard to think this is less than a mile from Nottingham city centre.

14181821767_6657d38c7d_z.jpg

As the Co-bo has been posted earlier in the thread at Matlock, here's 20031+20110 at Matlock after arriving with 18.00 from Derby on 5th July 1990.

6420726875_bbd0e36207_z.jpg

Edited by B Exam
  • Like 7

Guest B Exam

A scene that has changed beyond all recognition in the last few years. Here, 45141 passes Lenton South Jn, Nottingham with 5D17 Nottingham to Derby Etches Park ECS on Sunday 16th May 1988. In the background are the big blue sheds of the Nottingham Royal Ordnance Factory. The place where I served 3 years doing my apprenticeship (1986-89) before being made redundant.

8724128882_46f3b4a37f_z.jpg

In the last 26 years or so, the Peak has been scrapped, the Royal Ordnance Factory demolished and replaced with a Sainsbury's Homebase and business park. A bridge now spans the railway over the junction for the new tram extention, the 2 lines branching off to the left now singled. A complete contrast! I will upload a "now" photo in the next couple of days...

• Like 5

A scene that has changed beyond all recognition in the last few years. Here, 45141 passes Lenton South Jn, Nottingham with 5D17 Nottingham to Derby Etches Park ECS on Sunday 16th May 1988. In the background are the big blue sheds of the Nottingham Royal Ordnance Factory. The place where I served 3 years doing my apprenticeship (1986-89) before being made redundant.

Any idea what working this ECS was off?  I think by 1988 the Londons were HSTs and things like the Glasgow had stopped running, with 156s coming in on the various NW-SE workings.  So I'm interested to see what an early Mk2 rake was doing - perhaps a Skegness extra or excursion? 

Any idea what working this ECS was off?  I think by 1988 the Londons were HSTs and things like the Glasgow had stopped running, with 156s coming in on the various NW-SE workings.  So I'm interested to see what an early Mk2 rake was doing - perhaps a Skegness extra or excursion? 

There was one service to London in the mornings which was a Peak and stock around this time. Went to London on it with my son. 45141 was the loco as well, named Zephyr by now, timed it at 36sec/quarters, which is near as dammit to a ton :sungum:

Not too long after we went To York for the day, probably the same school holidays and 45141 turned up again as far as Sheffield, but the loco seemed to be struggling with about load 4, or maybe just being taken easy. It would probably have been running in old DMMU timings.