East Midlands Miscellany

Guest B Exam

Any idea what working this ECS was off?  I think by 1988 the Londons were HSTs and things like the Glasgow had stopped running, with 156s coming in on the various NW-SE workings.  So I'm interested to see what an early Mk2 rake was doing - perhaps a Skegness extra or excursion?

The ECS is off the last ever SuO 1D17 16.20 St Pancras-Nottingham. This was booked loco-hauled. It was the return of 1C22 12.15 SuO Derby-St Pancras which was a regular Peak working at the time. Except on the final day it ran when Etches Park provided 47484...

14359609706_2678acd975_z.jpg

I've now uploaded the Lenton South Jn photos from last year. Compare the shots with 45141 earlier....

Saturday 23rd Feb 2013.

14402872153_274962d71d_z.jpg

24 hours later...

14402871723_cc08bb82c4_z.jpg

• Like 7

Guest B Exam

Overnight of the 7/8th June, Netherfield Junction signalbox had a appointment with the bulldozers. This pile of bricks and lintels was all that was left at lunchtime on Sunday 8th....

14242617760_58997bf4d0_z.jpg

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing what you find parked in a pub carpark these days. Mondeo, Avensis, Clapped out Vectra, builders Transit ............... Class 37/4 ........ :O

post-7289-0-14840200-1402956322.jpg

Rear of The Alexander Hotel, in Derby. June 2014.

• Like 1

It's amazing what you find parked in a pub carpark these days. Mondeo, Avensis, Clapped out Vectra, builders Transit ............... Class 37/4 ........ :O

attachicon.gifIMG_9077.JPG

Rear of The Alexander Hotel, in Derby. June 2014.

That has been there for quite a while. On one Saturday, whilst walking back from the IPro, I saw it accompanied by a maroon and cream liveried British Railways road van.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see a video Geoff, that doesn't sway about or focus in and out for effect.

Well done!

Thank you for your kind words Peter, I can't promise that they will all be like that!

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

To add to the above here are a couple of different items of plant spotted lurking near Glendon South Junction and Kettering North Junction.

post-224-0-37414300-1406209607.jpg

Preparing to give the MML a wash and brush up? 8 July 2014

post-224-0-86948300-1406209676.jpg

Could this herald the start of re-doubling to Corby? 21July 2014

Geoff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A view of activity at Kettering back at the end of 2013.

The signalmen (signallers) at Leicester were pretty sharp setting the road for the 66!

Geoff

Edited by geoff
  • Like 1

A view of activity at Kettering back at the end of 2013.

The signalmen (signallers) at Leicester were pretty sharp setting the road for the 66!

Geoff

Wouldn't it have been Kettering panel EMCC in Derby by then as sure Leicester was closed?

Wouldn't it have been Kettering panel EMCC in Derby by then as sure Leicester was closed?

Does the EMCC use (not sure of correct term) route queueing - where a route can be set up before it's available, and will automatically set when it does become clear?

Does the EMCC use (not sure of correct term) route queueing - where a route can be set up before it's available, and will automatically set when it does become clear?

I believe it uses  Delta Rail's ARS (Automatic Route Setting) for at least part of the control area; routes set automatically according to a pre-loaded timetable, with signaller intervention for out-of-course or unplanned workings.

Having been involved with its development, though I no longer have any connection with the company, I should clarify what appears to be a common misconception that doesn't do justice to Delta Rail's ARS.   Reading recent issues of Modern Railways it appears that the powers that be at Network Rail do not fully appreciate what this system is able to do. 

It is significantly cleverer than just following timetable order - it will set routes for trains even when running out of course, based on minimizing total delay or some other target it has been programmed with.  Trains not in the timetable have to be set manually, as do certain routes where automatic operation was considered undesirable, and there is the ability to take certain trains or parts of the area out of ARS control. 

Edited by Edwin_m

Having been involved with its development, though I no longer have any connection with the company, I should clarify what appears to be a common misconception that doesn't do justice to Delta Rail's ARS.   Reading recent issues of Modern Railways it appears that the powers that be at Network Rail do not fully appreciate what this system is able to do. 

It is significantly cleverer than just following timetable order - it will set routes for trains even when running out of course, based on minimizing total delay or some other target it has been programmed with.  Trains not in the timetable have to be set manually, as do certain routes where automatic operation was considered undesirable, and there is the ability to take certain trains or parts of the area out of ARS control. 

Edwin,

I was aware that the system was capable of more than I described, but also that NR were either unaware, or perhaps unwilling, to take full advantage of these capabilities. I'd heard, from a reliable source, that there was some resistance at signal-box floor level to full implementation of these applications at EMCC; possibly why it seems to have been dropped from the list of three Network Management Centres trialling Traffic Management Systems.

• RMweb Gold

Well I have no idea about that, I was just going by the designation of the signals which is LEI XXX I believe. I certainly bow to more informed knowledge so will be pleased to know just who or what is in charge.

Thanks in anticipation of enlightenment. The breadth of knowledge shared is one of the great pleasures of these forums (fori).

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I've always been more interested in trying to record the everyday scene, rather than a steam special or a preserved line.

Occasionally I might point the camera at something other than a diesel or electric though. To some the A4 is the London to Avonmouth road via Bath and Bristol. To others it's one of these beauties.

The headboard says it all; the location is the north bay at Derby station.

post-6880-0-05267900-1407790575.jpg

• Like 2

Well I have no idea about that, I was just going by the designation of the signals which is LEI XXX I believe. I certainly bow to more informed knowledge so will be pleased to know just who or what is in charge.

Thanks in anticipation of enlightenment. The breadth of knowledge shared is one of the great pleasures of these forums (fori).

Geoff

The signals on the former Leicester PSB's patch still bear their old plate numbers even though they're now control by East Mids SCC. That particular signal at Kettering - you can sit there for what seems like hours waiting for a path on the single line to Kettering North Jcn and beyond! It's busier now than it used to be with the London - Corby services, hence having to wait for a suitable path. It's quite a long haul from the station to the North Jcn, if you have a single yellow in the platform you can't see the red at the junction until you come round the corner on the long approach to it, sometimes you'll be slowing down expecting to pass over the AWS magnet at 10mph for the red (professional driving policy rules at Freightliner ) then find it's been cleared to go out onto the Down Fast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The signals on the former Leicester PSB's patch still bear their old plate numbers even though they're now control by East Mids SCC. That particular signal at Kettering - you can sit there for what seems like hours waiting for a path on the single line to Kettering North Jcn and beyond! It's busier now than it used to be with the London - Corby services, hence having to wait for a suitable path. It's quite a long haul from the station to the North Jcn, if you have a single yellow in the platform you can't see the red at the junction until you come round the corner on the long approach to it, sometimes you'll be slowing down expecting to pass over the AWS magnet at 10mph for the red (professional driving policy rules at Freightliner ) then find it's been cleared to go out onto the Down Fast.

Thank you for that Rugd1022. It is always interesting to get a professional's perspective on what can be seen from the line side. I don't suppose you have any info on the possible re-doubling through to Corby by any chance. I haven't noticed any more mention of it since a snippet earlier in the year about consultations?

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

The Manton line just north of the former Glendon South Junction, do the barriers signify a start on the re-doubling between Kettering and Corby? Does anyone have any info on this?

Geoff

post-224-0-45950100-1408981309_thumb.jpg

Looking south from the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge. 23 August 2014.

post-224-0-75222300-1408981401_thumb.jpg

Looking north from the Glendon Iron Coy’s bridge. 23 August 2014.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

post-224-0-26551300-1409149452.jpg

1C30 09:29 Sheffield to St Pancras International meets 1F21 09:58 St Pancras International at Kettering North Junction. 10:42 on Wednesday 27 August 2014.

Apologies to the Diocese of Peterborough for knocking the top of the spire off St Peter and St Paul's, Kettering.

Geoff

• Like 6