Mallard Partwork

There is a facebook group for the partworks of whom a few of us are working on building different variations of the A4s using the partworks (who knows we may come up with the entire A4 class between us multiple times!)

Anyone else that wants to join us for swapping hints, tips and advice is more than welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/221538741371836/

I tried joining this group and received an acknoledgement but am unable to access . Has it  been disbandede?

There is a facebook group for the partworks of whom a few of us are working on building different variations of the A4s using the partworks (who knows we may come up with the entire A4 class between us multiple times!)

Anyone else that wants to join us for swapping hints, tips and advice is more than welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/221538741371836/

I tried joining this group and received an acknoledgement but am unable to access . Has it  been disbandede?

.i'm a member and it seems active still to me...last update a few days ago..perhaps something wrong in your settings although I don't know what...not that computer savvy myself....:)

Pete

Thanks tried again this is aii I get : 

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Have you tried using a different browser or logging out and in again to see if its something else causing the error?

I'm here....i can show my progress to date...I posted this yesterday on the FB page...  cab handrails have been made but not fixed yet until painted...boiler handrails are removable for painting...gaps in valances have been filled but not sanded down yet..oh and chassis is out of sight under neath...so far I'm impressed with the quality of the kit...details like the swiveling ash shields on the cab windows give some idea of how much detail this kit is going to have....let's hope the good start continues...:)

Pete

post-10642-0-91855000-1414709219_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Won't be starting mine just yet as I prefer to build the chassis first, using the connecting rods as the jig for squareness. I'm also wondering how the chassis will be attached to the body as there were issues with the A3. I also wish mine to be a working model and use my preferred sprung chassis system using Hobby Holiday Hornguides and roller bearings.

post-17779-0-44940400-1414954053.jpg

post-17779-0-01778500-1414954073_thumb.jpg

I have purchased motion set from Premier Components, the coupling rods have been jointed .

post-17779-0-21335500-1414954203_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Ross

early days yet to say how well the chassis fits the body but so far looks pretty good..picture just to show what's involved so far. The chassis itself is a good fit, holds itself insitu without screws, you can see two of the future mounting points at the rear , the bent over tabs that will join with the trailing frames have elongated slot's in them for the two screws under the cab. The chassis is currently slightly deformed in the middle due to being compressed too much by the locating lugs under the body, this occurs no matter which side of the lugs you mount the chassis, i suspect the final resting place will be to place the frames to the outside of the lugs but which ever it is will need a little material removing to ensure the frames run parallel, of course the thickness of the paint doesn''t help here...i'll tackle this later when more parts have been assembled. Another point to note is that the elongated holes in what on the full size would be'the stiffeners' between main frames and trailing frames could do with being elongated across the other axis, they are spot on for for and aft positions but look like they will need adjusting for width to keep the frames running parallel, again i'll leave such things until more is known about the designers intention...having said all that so far the model is looking very good.

Pete

post-10642-0-77828500-1415010490_thumb.jpg

Edited by greenglade

Hi ross

yes...squadron green...i haven't sanded it down yet....will do before the next issues arrive.... :)

Pete

NB:  err i think i should be calling you John going by the other forum....hope I have that right...:)

Edited by greenglade

• RMweb Gold

Thought that on issue 2 it looked like the chassis is to be double thickness sides as according to what I have seen on flea-bay, issues 8 and 9 are fully detailed full length chassis overlays.......very nice. glad I hav'nt started construction yet..........

Thought that on issue 2 it looked like the chassis is to be double thickness sides as according to what I have seen on flea-bay, issues 8 and 9 are fully detailed full length chassis overlays.......very nice. glad I hav'nt started construction yet..........

very interesting and the reason why I said before, here and elsewhere that it's too early to criticize any part of this model until we know more about the designers plans...going by this info it seems he/she is ahead of the game and perhaps we are in for a real treat building this model, I have to say that so far I see no reason to doubt that this will be a fine model and runner......however we still have a long way to go......looking good though....:)

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely Pete, question is do I solder the overlays on before shaping the side frames ? Decided to purchase an ABC 27.1 gearbox and Maxon motor as the one on offer is far too expensive for what it is......

John

Hi John

I would like to think that there's a reason why the chassis has been built so far before the overlays go on......it's a good way of hiding the stretcher joints with I hope scale like rivets and bolt etches on the overlays....there are a number of other fixing points along the chassis that i guess would also need their parts  fitted before the overlays......i'm looking forward to the next 4 issues being delivered.....I'm at roughly the same stage on my large live steam model A1 ( more or less identical frames), erecting the frames now so it's an advantage to check how accurate the Partworks model is.....It would be nice to see Gresley's famous 'star-stay' appear, the 2:1 gear stay already fitted is pretty close to prototype and the vacuum cylinder stay is there although much simplified, looks like the two holes in it's etch are there ready for the cylinders to fit too ...:)

Pete

What i the best way to line up the frame overlays to the main frame for laminating?  Also I notice that the inner frames have screwed in spacers, but the overlays don't appear to have a gap for the screws. (from the photos on Facebook of someone who has progressed up to issue 10.)