Mallard Partwork

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

Can I ask anybody who has the kit, in issue 4 which contains the cab window detail parts and the screws to hold the cab to the boiler.

There should be two angled spacers in there to fit the bottom 2 screws has everybody got the two spacers?

I have a fully sealed bag, in the bag are the brass etch for the window detail parts.

There are then 3 sealed bags.

1 contains two short screws.

1 contains two long screws and the other contains the hand rail knobs.

I just don't have the angled spacers!

Thanks

Ian

Thanks.

Can I ask anybody who has the kit, in issue 4 which contains the cab window detail parts and the screws to hold the cab to the boiler.

There should be two angled spacers in there to fit the bottom 2 screws has everybody got the two spacers?

I have a fully sealed bag, in the bag are the brass etch for the window detail parts.

There are then 3 sealed bags.

1 contains two short screws.

1 contains two long screws and the other contains the hand rail knobs.

I just don't have the angled spacers!

Thanks

Ian

Yes I have them, they are in a seperate small clear bag, I no early on there was some parts missing which were subsequently put in the next available issue, but I cannot remember if these were the parts or not.

• RMweb Gold

I think they were the screws to hold the valences and boiler together that were missing.

Hey ho another email to Hatchette as I can't do anything now.!

Probably need to wait for ages to get them delivered as well.

Cheers

Ian

Are they brass? would it be feasible and easier to knock a couple up?

I must check...I don't remember seeing them, but still only have issues 1 and 2.

And a very poor excuse for a magnifying glass, no stand, no clips, made of plastic.......

Yours does look nice Ian.

The paint, and lacquer, came off mine very easily with Wilco Paint Stripper, the lacquer took a couple of hours and two goes, the paint half an hour.....although ONE valance needed several goes...very odd.

I'm awaiting the arrival of some superglue debonder to get the part-built one to bits, especially the cab, which needs some work.

Edited by JeffP

• RMweb Gold

Well, sent two emails yesterday to Hatchette.

Replacement parts for issues 12&13 for the white metal parts

Replacement parts for issue 4 which didn't come with the angled spacers, so unable to attach the cab to the rest of the model.

Emails received back today, with replacement issues being sent, just have to wait the usual 28days for delivery.

Got to say they are very quick at responding.

Shame you have to wait so long for replacements to turn up though!

I will see what the replacement white metal parts look like, but will no doubt buy the LG ones as I take it these will be much better quality.

Oh, forgot to say, the vertical hand rail on the cab, the top hole is missing for the hand rail knob.

It only needs drilling out, but it will need marking up before hand.

I do have 3 cabs and everyone is missing the top hole, very odd.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

Yes, I THINK it's the same etching as for the Piercy model, so they haven't etched the hole since 60014/5 had shorter handrails.

If you don't already know, the handrails on the rest of the class were 4' 6" between knob centres, that's 31.5mm to you sir.

I've already asked and the holes are 1.3mm, it's suggested you drill them 1.2mm, then ream out gently with a round needle file or a broach until the knob is a decent fit.

• RMweb Gold

Those `tricksy` cab fittings ...........

post-17779-0-61981200-1422371395_thumb.jpg

Have spent a  pleasant afternoon appraising these white metal offerings.  I dont particularly want to spend money upgrading them as my loco wont be living life only in a cabinet and even then you`d need to avoid a cricked neck to see them, and I would rather spend on details that will be really noticed like the lamp irons, whistle etc. Then there is the piston rods and slide bars to change if they turn out to be white metal.

Judging by other peeps comments, I think I ve been lucky as I have certainly used white metal parts far worse than these.

On mine the worst offending parts are these.......

post-17779-0-17402400-1422371336_thumb.jpg

But after an hour of fettling I`m fairly pleased with the results.......

post-17779-0-46639100-1422371548_thumb.jpg

So far at least the parts I`ve received, I think , are quite acceptable.......

post-17779-0-73932500-1422371695_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-77954900-1422371726_thumb.jpg

Onwards and Upwards ! .........

• RMweb Gold

They are certainly better than the ones I've received!!

post-6745-0-15962100-1422378754.jpg

The water gauge hasn't been formed properly at all.

Hopefully the replacements will be better, if not I now know where to go!

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Can`t understand Hatchette for these poor quality castings...when everything else has been so good. I wonder if they are manufactured abroad or from a home grown company.

We certainly have a few of our own naff casters.

If I receive castings like those, they will go back. If they can't, or won't do any better, I will cancel my subs. That's simple.

Then the bits I have will go on ebay and i'll recoup about three times what I've spent so far, if ebay prices are owt to go on.

It seems to me that Hachette are showing photos of the castings as used on the DJH/Piercy A4:   http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3428 and scroll down for detail photos.

But the castings we get SEEM to be from the much inferior DJH limited edition A4.

If this is the case, they'll kill it..folk will not accept inferior to what they are show...I know I won't.

I've already caught them trying to fob me off with a folding magnifier, all plastic, that loooks nothing like the one shown in the ads. When I enquired, they said the one in the ads was for illustration purposes only.

I pointed out that others had already GOT the better one and they now say they will send me a better one.

We'll see.

Well, I've had success with the magnifier.

The one I received looked nothing like the one advertised, but when I complained, I was told that the one advertised was "just for illustration purposes".

I pointed out that that was unsatisfactory, since everyone else seemed to have the proper one, and they promised to send me the decent one.

It arrived this morning.

Maybe we ALL need to do similar with the parts......they surely can't get away with showing one part and sending another? That's contrary to trade description, I'd think?

Edited by JeffP